Review: German Legacy of the Past

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Different players, different position. Möller was a playmaker and goal threat, Effenberg was a central midfielder or even a 6 of the old style. It's like comparing Kimmich with Havertz.

2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Barlach repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Blueberry_night repped this.
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    some people disliked him but I always liked him!!!

5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I feel sad that all the players I grew up are now basically retired.

6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    saj7866 and pikuchan repped this.
  7. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Super Mario! One of my favourite players, probably the only German CF other then Klose to make a proper international impact in the last 20 years.

I remember that match v Holland in Euro 2012. He had like literally 3 touches in the 1st half and 2 of them were goals lol.

I agree if he had been fit for the semi v France in 16 then Germany would have probably won.

I still think that proper big no.9 can be useful, I wonder who can be the next Mario Gomez for the NT?

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah it's a shame that post Klose/Gomez the only big CF we produced was Werner and that's it.........

it's a shame that he missed WC14 due to season long injury and missed out on winning the WC.....

I recall Euro 2012, we were in Group of death with Denmark, Dutch and Portugal. Gomez scores 1-0 winner vs Portugal and and both goals in 2-1 win over Dutch. Gomez is also tied with Klinsmann as Germany's top scorer in Euro with 5 goals.

we seem to be producing more guys who are 1.8-1.86m, more skilled players. Still some who are more than that though. I've seen lots who compare 03 Matanovic of St Pauli to Gomez and he does seem interesting too. Serra, L.Nmecha, Hottmann, Herrmann, Akono, Jastremski etc all seem to be big guys.

Woltemade might be 1.98m tall but like Seydel he's more lanky.

9. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013

Ger90 and Alex C repped this.
  10. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
    #110 Brandko, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    When it comes to classic CF then apart from Gomez, the other consideration was Kiessling. Although despite being a good Bundesliga striker for most of his career, he was never on the NT radar. The players that came afterwards like Schieber, Ginczek, Füllkrug had early promise but never fulfilled that role mostly due to injuries and other factors. While someone else like Selke has their career regress in development.

Ger90 repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    nice that he scored on his final ever game.

but sad that there were 0 fans to celebrate his goodbye.....:(:(:(

12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    have to say I'm annoyed Gomez wasted time in Serie A (mostly injured) and 1 season in Turkey (well he did win top scorer).

why?

1BL All time top scorers list.
    #11 Gomez at 170

10 more goals and he would have jumped to #8 in league history, 13 more goals and he would have jumped to #7.

to breakthrough top 10, he just needed 8 more goals, #10-#9 are both at 177.

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

BorisG repped this.
  14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Andre Schürrle and Benedikt Höwedes have officially retired. Shame how both their careers gradually regressed after the 2014 World Cup victory but that is life sometimes and we're all human beings. At least they'll have the memories and are part of history.

15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Glad to see your back Epitome!!!!

another player retired today, Dennis Aogo.
    257 1BL games+83 2BL games as well as 34 European games.

Part of the U21 Euro 2009 winning squad that included numerous eventual WC winners. He was part of the 2010 WC squad that was restart for next gen players but never made it afterwards. Playing 12 games for dfb including playing 1 WC game which was full 90 in 3-2 win over Uruguay for 3rd place.

Blueberry_night and Epitome990 repped this.
  16. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Wow, the likes of Schurrle, Howedes and Aogo are not that old.

Ger90 repped this.
  17. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Late 20's- early 30's, they could still hang around somewhere if they really wanted and accepted a reasonable pay cut for smaller club. But injuries and motivation are also a factor. Some of these guys like Schürrle are retiring as millionaires and with hot Russian supermodel wives so life is good.

BVBFNM and Ger90 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I find Schurrle kind of sad/depressing, he retired because he couldn't take the loneliness of pro football that came from players in teams being toooo competitive.

BVBFNM and Blueberry_night repped this.
  19. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    With hot Russian supermodel wive down the line, he won't stay millionaire long :ninja:

Epitome990 repped this.
  20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    LOL true. Well hope Schürrle enjoys retirement anyways. Will always be remembered as a legend in WC 2014 for scoring against Algeria, Brazil x2, and assisting the winner by Götze.

21. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gomez defiantly not arguing that he was good , but some how I don’t see him as a legend like .
    Muller Rummenige Klinsmann Voller and Klose and all the other older strikers - even Bierhoff was a better As a CF .

Some how he just lacked something at times for me - just my opinion . But looking at his stats he clearly was really good . I think his time at Bayern between 2010 and 2012 is was on fire

Ger90 repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For club he was really good CF.

for NT, what stopped him from becoming one of the greats is
    1-he wasn't good for dfb when he was young. Missing easy chances, poor decision making etc.The older he got the better he was for dfb.
    2-Germany 100% sure wins Euro 2016 had Gomez not injured himself vs Italy in QF. In fact our lone goal vs Italy came from fantastic Gomez build up play.

had Germany won 2016 Euro with Gomez leading the line he would have cemented himself as one of the greats. Also tied with Klinsmann, Gomez is Germany's all time scorer in Euros too.

let's just hope the next gen CFs breakthrough as quickly as possible so that we finally return to our former glory of dev some high quality CFs like we used too.

BorisG and Blueberry_night repped this.
  23. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes agreed ...forgot he got injured . It could have been his years .

When I see the line up against France - a game we actually Dominated - Gomez could have def played a role in that if he was fit ... instead draxler got a chance and we all know that he did not score that vital goal

Ger90 repped this.
  24. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We lacked a out and out center forward in that game I agree we dominated

BorisG and Ger90 repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    also that dumb Basti hand ball in 1st half gave France a PK and 1-0 HT lead, such a wasteful game.

bring in fit Gomez and no dumb PK and this game would have been in the bag.

BorisG repped this.