Review: German Legacy of the Past

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Feb 2, 2020.

1. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    German team 1996 was maybe not one of our historic best teams and most well known as a big German team but the individuals players like
    Bierhoff , Klinsmann , Möller, Häßler , Scholl , kohler , Sammer , Ziege , Reuter , helmer and Köpe where all legends in their own right .

saj7866 and Ger90 repped this.
  2. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was a good side with no real weaknesses, Teutonic efficiency and had flair in players like hassler, sammer, scholl, moller, also Kuntz in big games was very effective

Ger90 and BorisG repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LMAO Maradona.

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    my fav GK ever.

5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LMAO when your famous enough that a TV character is named after you.

6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

7. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ******** John Terry and his slip due to rain vs Man U in PK shootout in CL final.
    [​IMG]

9. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    In terms of longevity of career, it is quite shocking Buffon never won one. In terms of pure talent and skill, Ronaldo is the most deserved of at least one CL.

Ger90 repped this.
  10. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Chelsea didn't deserve to win during that season. They played awful football. If anything Ballack losing to Real Madrid while donning Leverkusen shirt is much more painful.

Ger90 repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For Buffon I think it's because Juventus never made any finals in the 2000-onwards the big Italian team in CL to win where the double Milan clubs.

yeah Ronaldo (no injuries) is likely the most deserving. Although would be lying if I said I didn't like Buffon, Baggio, Totti. I know I know, Italy are Germany rivals, but always respected their NT team and they've produced tons of great players as well.

I do agree with this but wanted them to win (even if I hate Chelsea) for Ballack.

Neverkusen even with the joke name, were actually a good team and it's a shame that they lost. But that Zidane goal was amazing though so if they had to go down might as well go down vs one of the best of all time.

12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    feel bad for Ballack though he's won every trophy bar 3, CL, Euro and WC.

-WC finalist: 2002
    -Euro finalist: 2008
    -CL finalist: 2002 and 2008

lol look at the timeframe,
    2002 and 2002
    2008 and 2008

that just sucks, that he couldn't win 1 International Trophy.

BVBFNM and Blueberry_night repped this.
  13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well.. Berti Vogts hasn't led them play with flair for the NT. The '96 EC wasn't exactly a joy to watch despite the skill-level of the German players. I think the '94 crew was a way better team and probably the best team of the tourney. They really should have won it. What a dreadful final between Brazil and Italy. The German team were just too arrogant and badly prepared for the matches and for both issues the manager team of Berti Vogts have to take the responsibility for.

Ger90 repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

some comments.
    Bangers however you want them. Left foot, right foot, from 50m, volleys, perfectly placed shots and passes. No problem. If this man was around today he would embarrass most of these diving clowns and have a price tag too expensive even for the sheikh clubs. Imagine the incredible ability and confidence this guy possessed to take a shot from 30m when even the best players today would just take the safer option and pass it to the sides, not to mention he would never shy away from a volley. Not underrated, but definitely not appreciated enough. Set the bar so high for what it means to be a complete player and midfielder that you will struggle to find anyone that comes close to his performances.

Maradona: "He was the best & the toughest player I've ever faced.."
    "he is the best rival I've ever had. I guess that's enough to define him"

You're missing the other half of his skills....Defense! Platini, Zidane, and DiEstefano can't match.

Lothar Matthaus, The Best player, captain and 10 of football history, the most complete player (From Argentina).

Blueberry_night repped this.
  15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That first goal of that vid is exactly the chance Messi ********ed up at the final 2014.

Ger90 repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    to add to previous post.
    WHY LOTHAR MATTHÄUS IS PROBABLY THE MOST COMPLETE FOOTBALLER IN HISTORY

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/...ably-the-most-complete-footballer-in-history/

yeah Messi would have been Argentina's hero but good for us that Matthaus was one of a kind.:whistling:

I never saw him in his prime and barely remember him back in 90s. But those are some crazy ass shots, unstoppable rockets and his dribbling skills are really really good and those balls! Looks like the complete package.

if only Germany could produce such a player in future.

17. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    Germany 90-96 team could have gone down as one of the best teams ever. EC92 final was a nightmare and WC94 Germany should have gone further. The team was loaded and could have easily fielded 2 competitive teams... The team was capable of winning every tournament.

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    out of curiosity what happened in 94 WC that Germany got one of their most embarrasing loses in 2-1 loss to Bulgaria in QF....

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Inter Milan: Ranking The 50 Greatest Inter Players Of All-Time

No. 43 Jurgen Klinsmann (1989-1992)
    Klinsmann joined Inter in 1989 and the striker played a key role in the club's 1990-91 UEFA Cup title.

No. 26 Andreas Brehme (1988-1992)
    The German defender was one of the greatest full backs in history. He played a key role in Inter's 1988-89 Scudetto-winning side, who set a record for points and fewest goals allowed. He scored a penalty kick, the only goal in the 1990 World Cup final.

No. 25 Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (1984-1987)
    A two-time European Footballer of the Year, who also led West Germany to the 1980 European Championship and a second-place finish in the 1982 World Cup. He had 24 goals in 64 Serie A appearances for Inter.

No. 10 Lothar Matthaus (1988-1992)
    One of the greatest players in the history of the sport, Matthaus appeared in five World Cups, a record for a non-goalie.

During his Inter days he was a central midfielder

He was named European and World Soccer Player of the Year in 1990 when he led Germany to the World Cup title. He led Inter to a Scudetto in 1989 and an Italian Super Cup.

He was named FIFA World Player of the Year in 1991 as well, leading Inter to a UEFA Cup title.

From his midfield role he scored 40 times in 115 Serie A matches with Inter.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/525121-50-greatest-inter-milan-players-of-all-time

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Matthäus was probably the most complete player ever, he could play any position (started as striker, then became a defensive midfielder, then evolved to a playmaker and finished as Libero) and do almost everything on the pitch. A prototype of a football player if you will."

"I have been supporting Germany since 1989, and watching Lothar Matthaus was once in a lifetime opportunity. I mean this guy had it all. He was a great captain, he played as a sweeper, centre back, defensive mid, attacking mid... he could literally play anywhere. He had crazy pace, acceleration and power. He had insane stamina. He was a great tackler and helped out in defence. His shooting ability was out of this world. Free kicks, volleys, half volleys, knuckleshots... this guy had it all. His passing and dribbling were fantastic. He was tough, mentally and physically. I will be honest with you, I have yet to see another player like Lothar, he was unique. A true legend. The best player ever to grace the green rectangle. The best number 10 ever. Love you Lothar, you will always remain my idol. Peace!!"

"My favorite player of all time. A general that played with so much heart for both country and club. When was the last time anyone saw a #10, captain and best player of your team slide tackle and battle for every ball the way he did. Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar? They only run when the ball is on the attacking side of the field."

"My Father tells me he is the greatest player he ever saw apart from messi, and he grew up watching football in the 70s 80s 90s and early 00s.. he said he could do everything.."

"a cannon for a leg, world class speed and moves, won everything in sight, fierce competitor and brilliant tactician. Starts on the all time 11 in my book."

21. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    I would not call it an embarrassing loss. That Bulgaria team was one of their best NT teams with several amazing players including Hristo Stoichkov, one of the most alpha players ever. Germany was 1-0, and had the game under control - Bulgaria started as the better team. Germany scored a 2nd goal which was ruled offsides. Andreas Moeller ripped a shot off the left post. Rudi Voeller knocked the rebound into the net, but he was ruled offside - he was offsides when Moeller shot the ball, was not offsides when the ball rebounded.

German players were confused by the offside decision and lost concentration and focus. A minute after the offside goal, Stoichkov ties the game and the team is rattled - going from thinking you are up 2-1 to being tied 1-1. A few minutes later, Germany has a major defensive lapse in concentration resulting in the 2nd goal with little time left to react.

Very strange game. The game went from being totally under to control to lost in what seemed like a matter of a few minutes. Had this sequence occurred earlier in the game, this team was more than capable of coming back - through Bulgaria could have also punished Germany on the counter.

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  22. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nice review. And let's not forget Effenberg killed his own NT career with that middle finger incident. He should act more mature. I always think he was better than Andreas Moeller and he really should refrained himself.

Ger90 repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Moller was still a class player usually regarded as one of the best players of his generation. Still recall his play in 97 CL final vs Juventus. He basically won every trophy one can win at club and NT.

Effenberg is a wasted opportunity, his whole career is nothing but controversy and him being a dick. Still in Bayern Munich's Hall of Fame.
    https://fcbayern.com/en/club/hall-of-fame/stefan-effenberg

his attitude likely cost him chance at greater legacy.

24. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Well obviously I'm referring to pure talent, I think Effe better than Moller. But Moller trophy cabinet quite full, agree on that part.

Ger90 repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I recall people used to call Schweinsteiger as Effenberg's heir.