Review: German Legacy of the Past

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Feb 2, 2020.

1. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes a shame he retired after 94 as he was a top top keeper, luckily we had kopke who was also brilliant but not quite in illgner league, illgner dominated his area like no other keeper I've seen bar sebastiano rossi from Italy and Milan.

Vogts issue was alot of the 90 world cup winning squad were all ageing at the same time by the time usa 94 arrived, to be fair he led a runner place in euro 92 which we should have won as shmeical had his best game ever, and had matthaus been playing no question germany would have won it and after that he had a chance of a transition but he ignored it in crucial areas

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  2. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No doubt in my mind 90 team, 14 team is strong but the 90 team had no weaknesses at all and in matthaus the 2014 team certainly don't have anyone of that calibre

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes Italy and German keepers have been consistently the best

Ger90 repped this.
  4. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Back then during end of 1990's, most of my school friend, just like majority of teenage in the world, were fans of serie A. Fans of Juventus, AC Milan, Intermilan, Lazio, AS Roma, Fiorentina, Parma, even Udinese. Needless to say, back then, Angelo Peruzzi was revered as the next Dino Zoff. Until Koepke won Euro 96 so it's a good time to brag with my friends back then. Well eventually my friends asked me where this guy plays? When I said Eintracht Frankfurt and previously Nuernberg, it's feel really good to see ignorance reflected on their eyes :cool:

Ger90 repped this.
  5. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I completely agree with above. I cannot stress this enough, but above sentiment also something that I felt. Back then, even though I already being German fans, I also admired lots of non German player. Players like Fransesco Totti, Javier Zanetti, Paolo Maldini, Steven Gerrard. Players who gave everything on the pitch and showed loyalty toward their club. Totti was courted again and again by bigger club, but he showed on and off field his heart fully committed with AS Roma.

I think the last players like Totti might be Gerrard, de Rossi, Schweini, Lahm. I also feels more attached with foreigner playing in bundesliga club back then. Even in Bayern, player like Giovanne Elber, Lizarazu, and who can forget Samuel Kuffour. Maybe this is only an old man syndrome, the so called power of nostalgia... But maybe back then football different than now. From players, fans, cultures. Maybe social media had something to do with this

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nostalgia factor might swing the favor to 1990. But honestly speaking, its very hard to compare old time players with modern players. I'm gonna go out on a limb here... I don't think if Pele was hypotethically born on 1980 for example, he would become greatest player ever. The quality of defender back then with now, the team, tactics, fitness, EVERYTHING, the differences VERY HUGE. That's why, personally I though Messi is one of (if not already) greatest player ever, along with Ronaldo Brazil and Maradona.

Ger90 repped this.
  7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    back in the 90s, Serie A was the best league in Europe it really was were all the best players in the world gathered.I believe in 90s that like 8 out 10 CL finals had a Serie A finalist or something like that, domination.

all the more remarkable that our Bierhoff was Serie A top scorer in 98 at 27 goals. Ahead of Ronaldo (Brazil), Baggio, Batistuta, Del Piero, etc. :D

The 1st and only German to win the Serie A top scorer.
    He then transferred to Milan in 1998, winning the Serie A title in his first season with the club, scoring 19 goals in the league and 21 in all competitions, including the match-winning goal in the final, title-deciding match of the season, a 2–1 away win over Perugia.During the 1998–99 season, he set a Serie A record for most headed goals in a single season, with 15.

I think that's why I dislike Frankfurt so much these days. When you look at past at the huge amount of players who played for Germany who played for Frankfurt and now outside of Trapp.......It really is why Moller wants to return that to the club.

but Italy between Buffon, Toldo, Peruzzi etc lots of class GKs.

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can agree sooooo much for this. I think all the guys you listed and a bunch of others is why I always had soft spot for Italy even if they are Germany's rivals. Too many great players produced there to ignore. I always had fondness for guys like Owen too. I recall liking players from every country, present day.........

there was more loyalty back then than now. Now too many players don't give a shit about their clubs. You can see clear as day the user mentality from players, the moment they join. Feel the same about the foreigners in 1BL. Not only were they better in past but you felt they had more love for their club too.

now every player wants to jump to EPL or La Liga as fast as possible. Some foreign players in 1BL they barely join in span of few months, they openly say that they hope to attract EPL interest to go play there and how they are using 1BL to launch their careers.

Essential 1 man clubs are done and dusted these days. It's all about money for everyone and about prestige.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    feel like Pele is overrated in that there are myth created about his legacy more than reality. Still a great player who's 3 WCs will unlikely be beat and yeah reality is football is harder now than in the past. Even technology/scouting makes all the world of difference in this day and age.

Brazil's Ronaldo was a beast if it wasn't for those injury issues, could have been amazing to see. Vast majority of players always say that they thought he was the best player ever and inspiration.

well I'm glad that Messi will go down as never winning a WC thanks to being knocked out in 3 out 4 WCs by Germany.:whistling:

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dang, looking it up Bierhoff's 97-98 season was the top scoring season in any top league in Europe at the time with 27 goals.

was only beat by some Greek who scored 34 in Eredivisie. Extremely close in winning European Golden Shoe.

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree completely regarding pele, a great player but hugely overrated, in Fact i agree Ronaldo the Brazilian genius was definitely the best forward I've ever seen, before his injuries he was unstoppable with a nickname of "il phenomenon ", he basically was unblievable, my best 3 players I've ever seen are

1. RONALDO (brazil)
    2.PAULO MALDINI (ITALY)
    3. LOTHAR MATTHAUS (GERMANY)

Ger90 repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    how many Euros and WCs would Germany have won had we produced a Maldini or Ronaldo? Imagine having world class striker and defender with you. We did have Gerd Muller and Beckenbauer back in the old days. But for the post 90 era.....

Also Maldini regrets turning down 2006 WC call up. Otherwise 3/3 of those guys would have been WC champs. What a waste.

14. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Batistuta was deadly, pure finisher. And he looks like jesus christ, jesus with deadly finishing skill :D

Do you remember back then we have 2 german players in serie A during Bierhoff era. Unfortunately not that succesful. Christian Ziege at AC Milan and Joerg Heinrich at Fiorentina. Ziege should played at left back but somehow he was playing at right back since Maldini play as LB. Heinrich play as right wing back.

Ger90 repped this.
  15. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany have always produced quality defenders and forwards, when I was growing up klinsmann, Voller, reidle bierhoff were all top class, defenders: Brehme, kohler, auganthaler, helmer, zeige.
    Lol Ronaldo and maldini would vastly improve every team in history

Ger90 and Blueberry_night repped this.
  16. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Ziege made a mistake by transferring to AC Milan. He shouldn't left Bayern at the first place. During that era, we have Stefan Reuter as well. After Reuter, Helmer and Sammer era, we had mediocre defenders donning our NT jersey until Mertesacker & Metzelder era. We had Marko Rehmer, Christian Woerns, Thomas Linke, Carsten Ramelow. I remembered Jens Nowotny being the best of bunch, but injury hampered his career.

Ger90 repped this.
  17. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    France 98 onwards we had mediocrity for best part of 6 years, agree regarding nowotny , he was very talented.

Ger90 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I remember Ziege in Serie A but not Heinrich. Heinrich only remember him for Dortmund.

interesting so Ziege didn't pan out in Serie A because of Maldini, lol. Come on Ziege Maldini is a bum.:p

has there ever been any other German Mohawk other than Ziege.:ROFLMAO:

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    damn that nostalgia, always felt bad for Nowotny and even Ramelow for being part of the Neverkusen joke.

was Metzelder really great? I feel like we didn't get any good cbs for NT until Hummels/Boa. Metzelder and Per were more passable CBs like they were solid but nothing more.

who recalls Arne Friedrich who even scored his lone goal vs Argentina in that 4-0 WC win.:ROFLMAO:

20. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Forgot about Friedrich, he was excellent, very versatile as a defender

Ger90 repped this.
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    who here remembers Manuel Friedrich, a career Mainz and Bayer player also played some Bremen and Dortmund.

he played 9 games for NT. This Arne mentions brought back memories of Manuel.

will always have this record.
    "In March 2006, Friedrich was called up to Germany's squad for a friendly against the United States, thus becoming the first Mainz player to ever represent the national side."

getting senior NT call up while playing for clubs like Mainz is always impressive.Another Mainz player was hero Andre Schurrle.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    speaking of Schurrle and Gotze. It's amazing when one remembers that those 2 are the 1st EVER players to play for Germany who were born in reunified Germany.

"Götze and Andre Schurrle, who came on simultaneously, are the first two Germany players to be born in reunified Germany."

and who won the WC in 2014.......

23. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Metzelder was great. If you asked me, he was more talented than Mertesacker. His performance in wc 02 was legendary. A relatively unknown defender that propels our mediocre team to the final. While Ballack and Kahn being selected to wc 02 all star across all publications, some of those versions included Metzelder and rightfully so.

Ger90 repped this.
  24. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Back then Arne Friedrich had to play as RB due to lack of options. By trade, he was a CB. Nevertheless, Arne could played well as RB due to his speed and agility. Can't imagine if Mertesacker played as RB :rolleyes:

During that era when Philipp Lahm career starting to go upward, Lahm predominatly played as LB. Actually we had another talent in RB, the Stuttgart's Andreas Hinkel. As a matter of fact, we had three RB prospect all named Andreas. Hinkel, Beck and Gorlitz. None of them really panned out as world class RB.

Ger90 repped this.
  25. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think Friedrich got enough credit for his versatility, excelled anywhere at the back

Ger90 repped this.