Review: German Legacy of the Past

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Feb 2, 2020.

1. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do Brazilians root for the Portuguese NT? Just asking, I have no idea.

2. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I can't really answer that, as I don't follow Brazilian media.

3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do love Neuer but maybe nostalgia speaking but Kahn will always be my no1 German GK.

poorvi, BorisG, Epitome990 and 1 other person repped this.
  5. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Strictly speaking I would say Neuer > Kahn.

Manuel Neuer: 9 Bundesliga titles, 6 DFB-Pokals, 2 Champions League titles and 1 World Cup.

Kahn: 8 Bundesliga titles, 6 DFB-Pokals, 1 Champions League title, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 Euro (as a reserve GK).

Blueberry_night, BorisG and Ger90 repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    can't really rate GKs by teammates, which is what trophies are about.

Kahn was NT GK during Germany's Dark Times while Neuer during resurgence. Bayern during Neuer era was one of best clubs in Europe while Kahn's Bayern was winding down in 00s.

tbf, Kahn was CL Finalist in 99 and WC finalist in 02 too.

BorisG repped this.
  7. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They are both great goal keepers in their own right . Germany always had great GK- I hope it stays that way ....

rj123 and Ger90 repped this.
  8. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Oddly enough, Germany also has the record for most goals conceded in World Cups.

9. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Isn’t that Germany has played most matches in World Cup due to their consistent deep run? Where Germany stands in terms of scoring goals in World Cup?

10. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Germany are currently tied with Brazil for most goals scored in World Cups with 109 each, in fact Germany became the first ones to reach the milestone of 100 World Cup goals.

BorisG, dips82 and Ger90 repped this.
  11. Aderthan

Aderthan Member+

Schwarz weiss essen
    Germany
    Nov 17, 2020
    If Neuer win the Euro, he'll be the greatest ever German GK.

Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LMAO

The Titan more like Tyrant.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

-Bastian Schwienstiger about Kahn: “I saw him play for the first time in November 2002 when I sat next to him. The first time he spoke to me was in 2005” said Schweinsteiger.

-Former Germany and Bayern star Mehmet Scholl once said, “There are only two things in life I fear: war and Oliver Kahn.”

-Tor!, a book that focuses on the history of German football, claims that Kahn took part in a penalty shootout against a bunch of nine-year-olds for charity.
    According to the story, every time that the youngsters scored against the Bayern Munich legend, money would be donated to charity.

Unfortunately for the nine-year-olds, the 51-year-old German shot-stopper had no intention of allowing himself to be beaten and ended up saving every single shot fired his way in the shootout.

Even when it comes to charity, the man lived up to his reputation as 'Der Titan.'

If there's anyone still sceptical about the former Germany international's winning mentality in the sport, then the man himself spoke about how important his body language was in directing fear into the heart of his opponents.

"I often use my body language to show my team 'complete presence' -- and to instil respect, or even better fear, in my opponents," he explained.

"Goalkeepers need an element of insanity. Who else would stand there and allow people to shoot balls at their face or stomach, and still think it's great?"

Blueberry_night and BorisG repped this.
  13. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #313 BorisG, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021

Yes he was a real beast !!!

Ger90 repped this.
  14. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    In terms of international trophies alone, the most successful German GK is Sepp Maier: 3 European Cups, one Euro and one World Cup.

Despite being part of such a successful generation, I've noticed Meier isn't talked about as often as other GKs such as Harald Schumacher or Kahn.

poorvi, Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kahn is legit the only GK captain that works for me. None else worked, when Neuer is captain it feels like there is lack of leadership in outfield. Same for other GK captains.

But Kahn was a beast/monster that he motivated the whole team to get their shit together. Who else puts fear of God into his own teammates, LOL.

BorisG and Blueberry_night repped this.
  16. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Kahn is a natural born leader. Sometimes I wonder why coach fixated on Neuer being captain. At Bayern for example, Thomas Mueller should be the captain instead of Neuer.

However, Neuer had much better ball control ability compared to Kahn. He is like a semi libero.

I love both players but each with their own strength and weakness.

BorisG and Ger90 repped this.
  17. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    For all the talk about Kahn's leadership qualities, in the 1999 CL final he was the designated captain which Bayern lost, whereas Stefan Effenberg was the designated captain for the 2001 CL final which Bayern won. Curious.

18. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This is confirmation bias...

Ger90 and BorisG repped this.
  19. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Depends on the person. Brazil is a Portuguese speaking country but its people come from diverse backgrounds. People of direct Portuguese background and from a recent generation of immigration may support the Portuguese NT.

But there's people who've been there for centuries and multiple generations and they'll support the Brazil NT only, with lukewarm to no affinity with Portugal. Similar to how Americans may not hold any affiliation to supporting England.

Brazil has also had notable immigration from Italians, Germans, Spanish, Eastern Europeans, people of African descent, Japanese, and Middle Eastern, etc.

Ger90, Blueberry_night and rj123 repped this.
  20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Today marks the seventh anniversary of this legendary match:

Ger90 repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #322 Ger90, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021

still active: Neuer, Zieler, Kramer, Mustafi, Draxler, Hummels, Boa, Ginter, Ozil, Durm, Gotze, Podolski

Still with dfb: Neuer, Hummels, Ginter...........maybe Draxler

BVBFNM and Alex C repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany Legacy in changing WC.
    -1982 WC, Disgrace of Gijón
    -2002 WC, SF vs Korea, Ballack
    -2010 WC, QF vs England, England's legit goal not seen off crossbar

Result
    -from 1982, came whole matchday 3 in GS is played at same time unlike before as teams played different times
    -from 2002 Ballack yellow accumulation and suspension in final. Changed so that NO one can miss a final to card accumulation
    -from 2010, a bigger and bigger push for VAR.
    The ghost goal incident in this match was a major factor in the FIFA and IFAB decision to test and later implement new rules allowing goal-line technology to be used in football.

LOL your welcome World!!!!

Blueberry_night repped this.
  24. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't understand the disgrace of Gijon. What was it all about?

25. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

Austria and Germany playing the last game of a group stage. Algeria and Chile had played their last game of the group stage the day before. Germany needed to win by 1 or 2 goals and both Germany and Austria would go through. Germany scored a goal and after that they just passed the ball around.

required FIFA to create the rule that all group stage final games have to be played at the same time.

Ger90 and Blueberry_night repped this.