German Fraulein National Team 2020 & beyond

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by hotjam2, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't follow Lyon, but the little I gather about their team suggests Marozsan has not been used as a CAM for a long time now, instead typically finding herself deployed within deeper roles by her club/national team coaches now.

So of course we'd witness a dramatic decline in her ability to produce assists/goals, when her most relevant positional roles 100% MEANT to see her help control match tempo...:rolleyes:.

2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @hotjam2 My only concern with Marozsan's eventual return the wnt, is knowing this positional decline effectiveness won't change if she set to remain a DM option with MVT...:cautious:

Personally, I'd prefer MVT to select Nüsken within a DM/CM role, and use Freigang as the replacement CAM option for Magull, meaning Marozsan not even needed for the WC squad.

But if Freigang to remain a 3rd choice FW... similar to seeing Popp in a CM role Vs Popp as a FW, I'd still identify Marozsan's skill set within a CAM role being a significant upgrade over the frustratingly ineffective Dallmann.

3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's what's been called the most comprehensive top woso players list; Guardian's Top 100
    The 100 best female footballers in the world 2022 | Soccer | The Guardian
    breaking it down
    Germany(14 players)
    England(13)
    USA (11)
    Spain(10)
    France(10)
    Netherlands(5)
    Canada(5)
    Sweden(4)
    Brazil(4)

Batfink be all thrilled that that Oberdorf is at #5.but keep in mind that they got Mead listed at #2 s well as seven English in the top 30(compared to just three for Germany). Stanway at #26, one below Magull, which makes her Bayern' 2nd best l. My girls Dallmann(#96) Brand(98) Hendrich(100) are below my expectations, but forum favorit, Sydney Lohmann don't make the list. and so doesn't Groenen(who one BS poster espouses as the best player in the world/he might have gotten an stroke!
    Below is the clubs with the most players

Barca 12
    Lyon 12
    WOB 11
    Chelsea 9
    Arsenal 8
    Bayern 8

hmm....seems like WOB's still in semi-quarters territory lol

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Personally, I feel like the placings of MANY players within this list, is pretty much hot garbage lol... but when it comes to women's football (some things media related are improving), I'm honestly not shocked anymore.

Soooooo... English media really managed to place 13 English players in their top 100 list...
    [​IMG]

5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You act like I'm the only person who understands Oberdorf currently one of the best players in the world. Remaining oblivious to the qualities of elite CM's, and never appearing to respect the importance of players who specialize in being able to control game tempo. Regardless of how you feel, Oberdorf as a CM/DM is on a very clear trajectory towards one day being named the female games #1 player...:whistling:

Plus Wolfsburg with a lot of German wnt players would knock out both WSL reps from the UWCL. Then we see their players join with Bayern, to form the basis of a impressive German wnt which would come very close to wining the programs potential 9th Euro title; oh, where they'd also end up featuring more players than any other nation within UEFA's team of the tournament too.

But no, because of the Euro final allowing decisions like this to be missed...
    [​IMG]
    English players are just obviously better than Germany's now...:rolleyes:

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Outside of people who follow German women's football, Lohmann isn't known by the types of people who'll be tasked with creating such a list. But if you have any cognition for the elite elements of mid-fielders role within football, it won't take very long watching Lohmann play, before you begin to notice the elite nature of her skill set within women's football.

Last season (while dealing with injury again) Lohmann able to produce stand out performances Vs a PSG CM trio featuring Geyoro (#35) - Diallo - Hamraoui. And this season after returning from injury, we've seem Lohmann produce another elite big game performance Vs the famed Barca mid-field too, having also held a key bench role within Germany's Euro team while facing various players on this list.

So... if leaving Lattwein off such a list seems odd to me (Lia Walti made it in lol)... I'm pretty sure a healthy Lohmann is set to make a complete mockery of this top 100 list in the near future...:coffee:

7. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]
    Even with her injury absence, Groenen is 100% an elite CM, and honestly vastly superior to a host of names on this list. Meaning whoever this poster is, should probably be annoyed with her omission lol.

Fans will always argue for the status their teams best players, but potentially Lattwein, and surely a healthy Pajor, should both be able to push WOB above the median here....:cautious:

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was very surprised that Brand only #98, as well that Jonsdottir didn't even make the list. You got two potential future GOAT's, yet give the 17 year old Columbian, Caicedro, the #74(the new Mbappe?)
    I've had an hard time dealing with American posters who pissed off that their own are not ranked higher. Apparently not getting it that Europe can't play as an single entity, but the huge improvements & popularity displayed in the Euros, makes it feel like the US might of enjoyed their last swan song with their bronze at last year's Olympics?

Here's an article hat says the quality improved significently from 2017 to 2022, especially the passing for all teams.....except surprisingly for Germany(apparently Stefi Jones had an better paaing team than MVT, lol)
    Euro 2022 vs Euro 2017 is a different ball game: England pass completion is up 20% - The Athletic

9. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In my personal opinion, Weir is the best British female player right now... and she's ranked #51, with Hemp #22 lol, as Chloe Kelly is somehow deemed good enough to be ranked above 4 of Germany's Euro members (Hegering, Hendrich, Dallmann, and Brand...:rolleyes:).

So when someone like Wailti can make this list simply for playing for Arsenal lol, it should tell you why someone like SJJ currently has no chance of being recognized...:(

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, I was also told Spain's Vicky the undisputed best youth player in the world, but then I saw Alber at the u17 Euro's, plus the following WC, and...
    [​IMG]

An u17/20 Colombian wnt player being in the top 100 players list lol... no, not based on what I've seen. NO players within the u17 youth age group are anywhere near the worlds best 100.

11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL... if USwnt fans were more aware of the genuine English/European bias on show here, I don't think they'd find this news anything but amusing.

It just so happens right now, that UEFA clearly holds the 2nd biggest competition in women's football, meaning US fans/players only increasingly annoyed with their perennial exclusion from one of sports more visible female events.

However, non of this stops the USwnt from remaining relevant at WC's, or being able to win Olympic medals. It's just random lists like this, end up suggesting it might become harder for USA/North American based players to receive individual recognition now, without their continued/increased participation within Euro club leagues/UWCL competition...:cautious:

12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think I already said this, no...? I remember having to argue with someone in here telling me Euro teams much stronger in 2017 lol...;)

I mean, Gwinn would showcase elements of genuinely advanced positional play for a FB, that I've only typically witnessed among a small group of modern male footballers; and this for a German wnt who'd produce more high intensity runs than any other elite Euro women's team (club/wnt) we'd seen previously...:speechless:

So yeah, I could highlight other key factors I noticed (like passing/possession)... but even if Germany's possession lower than it was in 2017, it was pretty damn obvious to long time observers that MVT's team finally producing some of the best football from a German wnt in YEARS.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    England does have a spat of new, upcoming wingers & fwds in James, Salmon, Park & the still impressive vet for MU, Galton(none were on the Euro squad) so they’re probably not going to miss Mead as much. Their DM, Walsh, is the one that English fans consider their real mvp—did she really look that impressive?
    The Swiss friendly already showed Germany had something special developing from what must of been an ultra successful training camp. Thus I knew it was going to be the ultimate showdown between Germany & my pre pick, England. Before camp, the worry was more about getting group’s 1st place or even an upset to Denmark(but they looked dismal In their pre tourney friendly . So surprised that this article saying everybody pretty much improved.
    England had the charmed life in 2022, remaining undefeated while winning the Euros. But they did plan it out so perfectly; obviously playing everything at home & maybe even bribing the refs!(lol). But, post Euros, they’ve been inconsistent, tying the Czechs & Norway and now will have to play far, far away from home.
    But as I’ve mentioned, Wiegman now doing what MVT did last year; continuing looking for newer, better players like James/Salmon/Park whereas possibly MVT might be stagnant with that giving anybody new a chance?
    Hopefully Cerci & Wieder finally return to even better form & give Endermann an chance as well

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

15. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Popp was just named 2022's personality of the year by the nations biggest football magazine (first woman to win the award). And I'm pretty sure it had a lot to do her intelligent showcase of good humor here...

Instead of driving more resentment and division between men's and women's football, this moment felt very genuine, in ways that seemed to resonate really positively with men who'd typically never engage with women's football.

And this would also lead to the women's Euro final being Germany's biggest TV broadcast in 2022, during the same year a men's WC would also take place...:speechless:

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Take Oberdorf out of MVT's team, and they don't look as strong anymore. But even in that scenario, I know MVT having access to Nüsken, or even Leupolz (should she return), still has high quality replacements for Oberdorf.

So if I'm looking at key players that Germany, or England can't replace... I'd argue losing Hegering/Hendrich would be a disastrous blow for MVT, with me having a hard time believing Mead the true key piece to a England team she's already found herself regularly substituted out of games she's not effective.

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You saw the England Vs USA friendly at Wembley... More of a deep lying play maker than a ball winning DM, what's your opinion on her having seen the player Vs your team...?

I'll just say this... recently Lohmann was so effective evading Barca's mid-field press, it forced the Barca coach to substitute Walsh for Engen at HT during their 3-0 UWCL defeat at the Allianz Arena...:coffee:

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After seeing MVT's lackluster tactics losing to Serbia 2 months before the Euro's. I had absolutely NO faith Germany would become a competent team during the tournament finals lol. And Even now, I still have little faith MVT will actually make the correct decisions to turn the talented team witnessed during the Euro's, into WC contenders...:unsure:

Euro success surely about far more than players vigorously riding Peloton bikes a few weeks prior to a tournaments opening match lol; Germany would display a tactical discipline we'd not witness until a few weeks before they'd face Denmark...:confused:

A team that would face Serbia and lose 3-2, then face Switzerland and win by 7, before going on to reach a final not seeing an opposition player score a goal against them, yeah... good luck finding evidence to validate how this would be possible simply by riding bikes a lot lol.

19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Me... a hardcore MVT doubter lol, noticed VERY quickly how much more sophisticated the general play of Germany appeared Vs 2017's Euro.

Germany showcasing awful football in 2017's group stages, would lose to Denmark 3-2 in the quarterfinals. Then a good Germany shows up in 2022, and destroys the last tournament's finalists in the group stage with a 4-0 defeat, that in the end still flatters Denmark...o_O

Even France Vs Germany in the semi's produced a match featuring a quality of football high enough to eclipse what we'd eventually see in the final.

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If England have been inconsistent, what the hell do you call Germany's 2022 lol. The year they'd lose 5 TIMES, and still appear at times to be Europe's best wnt headed into 2023...:confused:

Stagnant, not giving people chances...o_O Lol, how many more new players does MVT need to look at...?

Without Gwinn, and Nüsken looking like a reckless error machine in a CB role, the focus of MVT should be about finding REAL RB/CB replacements. Meaning new names like Gudorf, Linder, Küver, the most legitimate choices for potential FB/CB duties.

But beyond them... why would MVT be calling on even more new names for CM/AM/FW roles right now..?

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @hotjam2 I really like the potential of Endemann, but she'd be having to compete with Bühl - Brand - Huth - Waßmuth for a 23 player WC squad. And the same goes for Senß, who'd be having to compete with Oberdorf - Nüsken - Lohmann - Däbritz - Lattwein - Dallmann - Marozsan - Hagel...:unsure:

Yes, if Krumbiegel can play for the senior wnt and perform well, it's obvious Endemann, or Senß, could do the same, or be even better. But we're not comparing new recruits to Krumbiegel... we're asking should the coach be allowing new options jump the que. to prevent a Lohmann, Brand, Waßmuth, Lattwein, Marozsan, from receiving their opportunity to grab a WC starting role...:cautious:

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    the one thing I remember most about the match was that Wiegman played an dangerous game of keep away, way deep into her own side. Take it to bring more Americans downfield, thus opening to their defenses, or at least tiring them out with all the ball chasing.It only had mixed results, as the US scored their only goal as they intercepted a pass, but did score on an breakaway by Mead & the cross to the middle.
    As well in the Euros, Wiegman played cat n mouse, as she let the opponents come at her. Missed the first 60 minutes of the first half the final, but basically same thing; Hendrich came up with a brilliant assist, but the heck was she & Hengering doing so far up?—-and what else happened but Englan scored their first goal with their player getting behind the two CB’s with all the room in the world to work with
    The US/England matched was marred by horrible REF as well as she consistently kept calling VAR at every little thing(as to give an break to England players(who only used one sub) as well as disallowing one US goal, even though it was on side, but then refused to hand out yellows, even though it was so obvious that especially Stanway kept intentionally fouling—-again, very similar to Ger/Eng where Jill Scott where she was allowed to foul an half dozen times after her team scored their winning goal.

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    being in excellent conditioned is the one thing that US, Japan & Holland had in common when they won their respective tournaments.
    That U20 WC should be a reminder, how a vastly superior Germany handily defeated the US in group stage only to gassed out by late, first half.
    Holland under Wiegman was an altogether different team when they appeared in tournaments as compared to FIFA open window week(I’ve read articles on that Wiegman takes pre tourney training very serious)
    England even hired the US/2019 WC conditioning coach; this is a big deal that f MVT & her staff finally latched on too. Individually, Popp was so much more active than pre or even post tourney matches—as I’ve predicted correctly, your not going to see the same Germany with such intensity until right after WC training camp/obviously the French/US friendlies their not at their best

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Remember this...? Look where England's placement is on this graph...:coffee:
    [​IMG]
    Wiegman clearly looked at her player pool, and felt this style her best route to establishing success; using a more methodical approach, slowing the game down in an attempt to remove opponents ability to effective transition (fast break) against them.

It's pretty obvious what they want to do, but if opponents unable to press effectively/correctly, and can't shut down the English wings, it can result in England's style appearing very similar to Spain. (a wnt you seem to hate...:whistling:)

blissett repped this.
  25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And who gave it away in her own half enabling the US to score, Stanway...:rolleyes: This a player who's biggest flaw continues to be ignored, so everyone can instead parrot how much she used to make bad tackles lol; but have Stanway under pressure inside her own half, and your instantly reminded why someone like Walsh so important the way the English wnt intend to play football from the back.

This greater importance on the progressive passing DM role for more teams within women's football, also at the root of MVT's team achieving success at the Euro. Germany having Lattwein, Lohmann, Däbritz, Nüsken, Oberdorf and more.... all capable of retaining possession under pressure in mid-field, it's still mainly the way Oberdorf dictated tempo, but also remained a robust defensive figure, that provided stability to the important central triangles of CB - DM - CB, and AM - DM - CM.