German Fraulein National Team 2020 & beyond

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by hotjam2, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sure you can find it online in moving action... but yes, as you can see...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if this was inside the German penalty box, I'm sure VAR would have called the ref to take a hard look at what was a clear handball...:coffee:

Weltmann and Dage repped this.
  2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Germany didn't win the ball on multiple occasions, only to see potential counter opportunities called back for fouls, I might agree with this. But I feel Germany's effectiveness in the high press, completely nullified by the ref's constant belief Germany simply fouling England on every play the English women scream, fall over, or lose the ball lol.

[​IMG]
    It was probably Germany's worst performance in pressing, facing a side nowhere as tough to counter press as France, Spain, or even Austria...:confused:

Not having the tournaments most effective wide player, or the best striker, a definite major issue. But damn... this the only game where Germany unable to apply high pressure to establish a their own tempo, having previously played 5 other games where this not only normal, but actively encouraged by officiating teams...o_O

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL... OK...:rolleyes: If you can show me all these other amazing options she has to select from, I might be willing to listen. But right now, what I do know is that multiple Euro wnt's won't be fearing facing England in future, knowing it will mean playing against them outside of a tournament setting so clearly in their favor...:whistling:

I mean... if the Wiegman's Netherland's had genuine world class talent like Meidema, who's England's equivalent... because it for sure isn't Mead...:confused:; and I say this watching Spain push a full strength England to the limit without two of it's key players. Germany doing the same missing even more, in a tournament I'm sure a genuinely talented Katoto-less France still a legit threat to England too.

But I forgot, England soon to have a mass of even better players for Wiegman to select from. Nobody's seen or heard of them, but they probably play in the WSL/NWSL, and will create an even stronger English team in the near future...
    [​IMG]

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1729 Batfink, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    She was NEVER a CB though... this was always a horrible use of player analysis, where Oberdorf's high numbers in successful tackles, never correctly contextualized to understand where, and how she's accomplishing anything.

Last seasons WUCL competition clearly showcasing Oberdorf's ability to win the ball better than any other CM in Europe, also came with a great ability to progress the ball into the opponents half via elite individual dribbling qualities, and a great mid range quality passing off both feet; it just highlights that even now the wnt not getting the most from it's best players..:confused:

The really crazy thing people don't even know yet, is when Oberdorf compared to Nüsken, Oberdorf factually not even the best option to play as a DM pivot for the wnt. Showing you how good Oberdorf has been, using each game she played to continue learning a pivot role she doesn't even excel within lol.

Compare this to Oberdorf openly stating how idiotic it made her feel, having MVT remote control her playing as a CB Vs Bulgaria.

5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1730 Batfink, Aug 3, 2022
    She's not slow though... that's simply the risk and reward of what MVT's high press does to players, within a system that's focused on using a compact team structure to defend and attack in waves.

MVT would even do it for 45 mins to win the match Vs Spain (not being a coward..;)), risking Spain creating chances through the middle, clearly in the belief her own side get the opportunity to create chances through their impressive counter pressing.

Frohms playing sweeper, and Oberdorf covering mid-field runners too. Germany's CB would actually cover most long balls really well; it would even see Hegering actually being TOP 3 in ball recoveries aka chasing and recovering lose balls...:coffee:

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As I keep saying though, the damn refs forced Germany to change from their typical compact pressing shape Vs England, allowing the spaces between their attack and defense to become far more stretched than normal, providing England's CM's lengths of time on the ball, not typically afforded to other opponents MVT's side had faced during this tournament.

With this extra time, England would create key passes that exploited the space behind Germany's CB's. Eventually resulting in a late sub Toone making a free run through a mile of space, to score a goal that would only happen in this game; as Germany's press/aggressive shape nullified by constant ref whistles...:mad:

Take a look at how Germany's defensive shape would appear Vs a more dangerous France, with Oberdorf covering both Hegering/Hendrich against a much faster player like Diani. You trying to suggest the trio of Hegering - Oberdorf - Hendrich couldn't cover Toone, as she's a more dangerous player than Diani...o_O

7. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Weltmann and Batfink repped this.
  8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting... after years of not facing any top ten FIFA ranked competition, the DFB and MVT is finally willing to test her ideas against the worlds best...o_O

The Euro semi between these two felt very final like to me... in another reality, France could have reached the final and beaten England. But what am I talking about... we all know the fates would have probably taken a hammer to Diani's knees to make sure England win the damn tournament...:rolleyes:

9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Arnold Clark Cup(Spain, Canada, England)?:confused:

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]
    Look at how low it was facing Switzerland... then look at climb for the eventual Euro final...:speechless:

It should be interesting to see what the stadium attendances and TV numbers look like for the last two WC qualifiers, and the friendly versus France.

11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought those ACC games were the first time MVT had faced any decent competition in friendlies, but I just had a look, and realized the last time they'd face top 15 opponents in friendlies was 2021 (in more defeats to France, and Netherland's)

So yes... a slight exaggeration on my part lol. But the PTSD from all those bad performances meshed together in the bad memories pile lol; those 2021 games feeling so long ago now...:confused:

12. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Switzerland was only a friendly - not surprising that Euro games were watched by many more and neither that the final got more viewers than earlier rounds.

13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You say that, but look at Denmark's stadium for their pre Euro friendly matches, and compare that to Germany...:cautious:

Germany's pre Euro TV presence, and stadium attendance, wasn't close to mirroring the level of appeal they'd generate over the next 6 matches.

Germany so popular in these Euro's, their matches even breaking non hosts attendance records...:confused:; to me, this all very unique considering how poor everything looked after defeat to Serbia.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A 32K capacity stadium for a game against France, as the first home match for the wnt since the Euro's... it should be interesting seeing the level of support this gets...:cautious:

15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Its sad to see her not able to play the final considering she missed the previous Euros because of injuries and was doing great in this tournament only to be out in the final where she could have helped her team win..

Weltmann repped this.
  16. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    #1741 Weltmann, Aug 3, 2022
    Indeed.It is a shame that Popp and Marozsan always seemed to take turns missing out and being hurt. 2016 Olympics one of the few exceptions. Just think about it. 2011 Maroszan out, 2013 Popp out, 2015 Marozsan injured before the semifinal and Neid having the glorious idea,that only a injured Marozsan substitution would be enough:whistling:, 2017 Popp out, 2019....I can`t even remember...it was so forgettable:D

2023... Marozsan will hopefully be fit and rested after the injury and Popp hopefully injury-free. The football gods will decide.

Lohmann repped this.
  17. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Not saying that Germany would have won, but a pen is a pen.
    https://www.kapwing.com/videos/62eb1849b559800093a591c1

Batfink repped this.
  18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seeing the performance of Germany's current 28-32yo generation, it really felt like this was the first time we've genuinely seen all of them perform to the standards many previously expected, but never really witnessed until this one senior level event.

Weltmann repped this.
  19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This team feels built for a mature player like Popp as a FW. But here's a real question... with the excellent Euro's performance of Magull, if Marozsan comes back, does anybody really believe she should be a starter anymore...? (I don't..:cautious:)

Marozsan producing significant moments in the past for the wnt, but never a great run of form. I think she could be a perfect choice for the Dallmann come the WC. This knowing she's a genuine world class player, who'd likely positively effect matches with the goals, and assists, in ways Dallmann simply can't.

Not having Marozsan for the Euro's, might have saved us from seeing Marozsan - Däbritz in the same mid-field..:speechless:, or stopping us from finally seeing what Magull can offer as a CAM. But improving the squad for the WC, if MVT doesn't trust Freigang, surely Marozsan the clear upgrade for the back up CAM role.

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]
    The balls moving towards goal, gets blocked by the English defenders arm... but VAR wasn't ever going to award this lol.

Not if this wasn't even considered a foul...:ROFLMAO:
    [​IMG]

Weltmann repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    if everything they say is true about the French coach that she’s hated & despised by players & fans alike and this game might be her only redemption to keeping her job till WC, shouldn’t we just let her win this one? lol

no news on an possible trip to the US?
    now hold on Tiger, Germany’s strong performance came in part of an excellent month long, training & conditioning camp. With just one, two day practices within these upcoming FIFA open window to say MVT wouldn’t revert back to endless experimenting with the likes of Krumbiegel & her previous standstill offense?

22. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The president of the French Federation likes her so I don`t think she need a good result against Germany.

23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the past Marozsan often not played at her best for Germany but was world class when she played for Lyon. Recently she wasn`t on world class level in club football so I would wait if she can reach her old class on club level after her injury.

24. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In 2019 Marozsan had a broken toe after a foul in the game against China.

Weltmann repped this.
  25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With the clubs/WUCL becoming more important... I honestly don't see players traveling to the US outside of preseason....:cautious:. And if it does happen, I wouldn't expect a full strength side travelling.

Does anyone know what they actually did during this month long training camp...? I'm pretty sure it wasn't any different from what they would be doing within their clubs...;)