German Fraulein National Team 2020 & beyond

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by hotjam2, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You'd have to be pretty ignorant of football's long history, to try and juxtapose the experience of football culture in Germany, with that of the USA...:giggle:

Your talking about one of the most successful nations in the sports entire history, and trying to compare it to the experience of football culture in the USA, all because of a goofy FIFA ranking placing the USmnt higher than the German mnt..:confused:; this when Germany's men were ranked as low a 22 in 2006, and 8 years later won the WC lol...:coffee:

See.. the German women have been really successful, but this for a nation their men have produced even greater success, over a much longer period of time, and with players that are often discussed as some of the sports goats.

If you can't understand this... I don't know what to say, other than try making a female NFL have the same standing as the men. Or wait until the USmnt reach a WC final/win a WC, to see what that does to truly change the landscape of the sport in north America forever.

2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    your narrative is a bit off; German women did win the 2003-2007 World Cup, decent crowds showed up in an the early 2010’s, Blissett posted that went to the German/Japan match(2013?)that drew a very big crowd
    Your American Football narrative is a bit off, Germany got an rich history in woso, winning the World Cup in 2003-2007, plus two u20’s & one Olympics. Early 2010’s saw big crowds as well. But seems now a vast decline in interest as compared to other Euro countries. France has flopped 5 straight times in the major woso tournaments, but you still see bigger crowds & participation has skyrocketed. Germany’s beat England a number of times in woso, but you still saw the 50k crowd at their game. So kinda disappointment when the English commentator says there was 10K seats available but only 1200 show up(though Lohmann said only 5K was available)

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My narrative isn't off though... your not understanding the reality of non Title IX backed sports cultures outside of the US, because your viewing everything through a context of various fallacies put forward by the USwnt.

And yes, I'm talking about the kinds of fallacies, where US football culture allows it's USwnt to try and argue their WC final 82 million global viewership, a true equal to that of the men's (France Vs Croatia) final producing 517 million...o_O

Concerns of popularity in German women's football are fair, but now seeming to be mixed with increasingly distorted opinion too; these opinions filtered through other Euro nations simply providing their female leagues, and wnt's, more visibility via TV/TV streaming.

Should the German wnt return to be a side producing exciting winning football, the type of football German audiences want to watch, not only would the wnt audiences simply replicate the SAME size of Euro rivals, it still wouldn't come close to the public interest that would always want to see their mnt play.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, Germany's history in women's football is pretty strong... but you know what's even more dominant within the sporting landscape of their nation... their mnt's long running history of success. So tell me how my NFL analogy is the wrong narrative within this debate...?

The NFL in north America being the closest approximation of what soccer is for a nation like Germany. I would never try to relate any of this to the scenarios created within US soccer; as scenarios within US soccer see's it's unsuccessful mnt, the perfect ammunition for it's wnt players to push arguments on their status being equal, or higher than male athletes.

This in the face of a reality young American stars like Christian Pulisic can earning a basic salary of 3.5 Million Euro each season he's at Chelsea, knowing better players in Europe can obtain better contracts that see them earn 10 to 20 million a season.

Only huge ignorance allows US soccer to push agenda suggesting the sports global values the same as it is in America. While Twitter handles tell you Rapinoe and the wnt the best soccer players in America...:giggle: oblivious to the financial and athletic reality of the global sport saying the exact opposite.

5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I want to see Germany's wnt respected more, and have the Bundesliga make adjustments that allow it to become a more visible entity within domestic, and international markets too. But I'm not going make irrational proclamations about the women being at the same level as the men either, trying to validate mislead reasoning for stagnation.

So I'd like to see the receipts on this "skyrocketed" viewership and participation in French women's football, that highlights how disappointing Germany should feel...:coffee:; as I'm pretty sure the numbers of registered female players in Germany is still huge, with the viewership for both leagues, and wnt matches, not being as disastrous you'd think given the sports relative lower profile, and covid restrictions in stadiums.

The men's Bundesliga was able to beat the EPL for average attendance, in a nation the 3rd divisions worst team could still average close to 1K prior to covid. But these aren't factors you consider if you simply view this through a simplistic/idealistic perspective of the US, who use government legalization to skew funding, and interest, towards otherwise marginal female athletics.

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #481 Batfink, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Nothing as crazy as Title IX exists outside the US... NOTHING. But the advantages nations like Germany do have for their women in this sport, aren't really being utilized at the maximum efficiency just yet either.

So I hear your arguments, but also feel like there's a lot hyperbole here, mixed with a weirdly normal US centric sense of entitlement lol. Always ignoring that successful football nations like Germany will have their own long established football identity, and wider sporting culture in women's sports; your not making real arguments for rivals superior progression, if it's solely being based on your understanding of US football, or random one off attendance records in Europe.

I mean England Vs. Germany sets a new record, with a 60 something thousand attendance within a 90k capacity Wembley, then a year later England with a much hyped new coach beats North Macedonia in front of 8 thousand people, within a 32k seater stadium...:coffee: Like I keep saying... remove the false narratives, and positive media propaganda, your not seeing the German wnt program with a major malfunction when it comes to matching the more genuine status of it's European peers.

All this without the force field Title IX provides the USwnt, or it's fans, when anybody starts asking questions concerning the disparity in the attendances between elite male and female football matches in their nation. And no... the BS 8% higher attendance for the wnt, isn't what I'm speaking about lol.

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don’t follow much men’s soccer anymore. US problem been it’s stuck competing in various major tournaments against CONCACAF teams, so US vs Guatemala for example doesn’t really generate much excitement, lol. I’m surprised that Pulisic makes that little money! Our best athletes would want to make more(eight $200 million contracts in the NBA already ). When Jurgen Klinsmen took over, he mentioned that Americans have “no hunger” for soccer(meaning despite a popular participation, it’s become a sort of well to do sport in our country where most just want to play till college compared to others where the best players come from poor neighborhoods, thus dreams of making it rich through soccer). So Klinsman for recruitment he scoured the world for GI babies instead of home grown. It’s really been the immigration pipeline that’s been the moderate success in US men’s soccer.

But in 2018, for the first time Germany failed to make it out of WC group play, followed by disappointment in the League of Nations & dismal showing at this year’s Euros/the BS forum on GER men’s soccer doesn’t quite paint an rosie picture for the future as you do, the biggest concern; is why can’t we produce any strikers?

so getting back to woso; I feel this is a main problem for MVT as well; Frankfurt turning Freigang into CAM leaves Schuller as the last remaining/viable option(since Popp is out), and yet I feel Hendrich gave
    excellent service which Schuller couldn’t put away.
    But biggest problem got to be not just CB selection, but whoever’s back there, MVT wants them to keep the ball grounded, so to be part of her deliberate passing schemes(whereas a real defensive minded CB would want nothing more than to boot the ball out of harms way).
    Don’t know if Damnjanovic is injured or not(she hasn’t been getting playing time for BM lately), but if #41 ranked Serbia scores on an counter, you would hope it open MVT on how reckless her defensive methods are

Klingo3034 repped this.
  8. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

That`s not what I expected. MVT said on the press conference after the Bulgaria game that it will be difficult for her to choose the players for Euro out of 30 possible candidates and now she has only two different starters against Serbia. Kleinherne who was praised by MVT after the Bulgaria match is replaced by Lattwein and Lohmann by Brand.

9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jovana Damnjanovic is just back after her ACL injury and isn`t nominated by Serbia.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WOW Damnjanovic started for BM earlier last month vs Roma

and sorry can’t watch in real time but catch it later on YouTube

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I just saw the score line, 3rd minute 1-0 for Serbia!

let me guess; an intercepted ground pass by an CB(per ordered by MVT, lol)

12. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Germany look terrible, lmao

13. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was a bad pass by Oberdorf but Lattwein was equally guilty.

14. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well the first 30 minutes were terrible, but otherwise a lot of positives came out of this one. Falling behind that easily could of been 0-2,3, thanks in part due Oberdorf’s horrendous defense/part due to MVT too much emphasis on trying to form chemistry with over back passing, GER finally played a lot more faster paced and got great games from Schuller, Brand & Nusken. And interesting how one sub, Leopolz, can look so much better than the starter she came in for(Marozsan)
    So maybe MVT felt the best way to get Schuller more space is by pulling both CAM’s back in the first half & then long ball it to Schuller(or was it just to pace them better for the 2nd half) but it wasn’t working. In the 2nd half the team came out with an fury, both playing aggressive defense & attacking in quick strikes. I really thought Nuskin aced her FB, but then, she seemed to be everywhere on the field/Brand started taking shots out there. and though she couldn’t score, she played with a lot of confidence. Schuller doing what was absolutely needed; a viable striker that puts fear into defenses!

on the flip side; Oberdorf got to go!!! For two years now MVT has started her at CB and she only keeps getting worse at it(compare that to Nuskin who aced her spot in only 2 games). So here would be my new starting lineup

Brand………Schuller………Buhl
    ……..Dallmann…….,..Magull
    ……………..Leupolz
    Nuskin…Feldkamp… Kleineheme…Hendrich

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The entire first 45 minutes were pretty disastrous, seeing Germany find themselves with fewer shots on goal than their more cohesive Serbian opponents.

Yet again MVT's ridiculous insistence on forcing Marozsan - Däbritz into CM roles, while continuing to destroy Oberdorf as the once highly positive CM prospect come nervous CB, resulted in a very confused team looking absolutely Jones era awful.

But to suggest they only improved through the second half by not passing the ball as much, is a really poor assessment of what actually accrued here; as I saw MVT's Germany finally start showing controlled aggression, alongside one touch passing again...o_O:)

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL... I thought Nüsken was absolutely terrible in the 1st half, and very sloppy in the 2nd. So I don't get how she validated MVT not selecting someone like Simon, or any of the other genuine LB's available to her...:unsure:

I'm sure facing stronger opponents, if Nüsken and the various provisional looking defenders in this team stay prominent features of MVT's plans, they will be even more exposed than they were for the opening 45 minutes Vs. Serbia. (Showing how poor this aspect of MVT's team construction remains)

But I'll give MVT some credit this time...:cautious: not just for being able to acknowledge how poor the balance in mid-field/defense was, but actually getting her players to showcase the kind of positivity able to produce accurate one touch passing again.

This highlighted best for me in Leupolz goal. Finish a really nice sequence of one touch passing, with a great shot at goal. This something I used to expect to see all the time, but now feel like it such an rare occasion it worthy of praise lol.

19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    She's not a striker who will create her own chances... and it's been a major issue for her within MVT's style of play; but the second half definitely showcased what happens if you provide her with more early deliveries inside the opponents box, and don't ask her to play with her back to goal so much.

I think Schuller's second goal is what MVT needs to watch, and continue demanding of her team in future. And this a must if MVT's style going to persist using such an inconsistent and naive approach to defending.

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ....:unsure: Facing the 3 opponents she has as a CM (Australia, Norway, France), and looking how she was versus inferior opponents as a LB, I'm 100% sure Nüsken's not a defender lol; appearing really bad against Bulgaria and Serbia, I'd like to read your explanation on how she's "aced" her new defensive tasks..?

In my opinion, Simon, Rauch, Gwinn, Rall would have all been VASTLEY superior options in the LB role. Not forgetting other strong young defenders in the league like Küver, Helcer, Gerhardt, Linder too...:coffee:

I'd also take more mature options like Wolter, Wedemeyer, or Lena Ostermeier, if it would of meant not having to endlessly watch Nüsken charge into CM before losing the ball, or turning back to the half way line, before passing it to the CB's.

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Never said German football was a "rosie picture for the future"... I was simply trying to highlight how much international football always goes in cycles.

Anybody trying to paint a picture that a German mnt being 14th in the FIFA rankings, suddenly equates to it being the end of the world, only highlight the ignorance of them not knowing Germany's mnt also been in a much worse condition too, but less than a decade later made themselves world champions...;)

I can understand how the USmnt not win.... well, doing anything of particular prestige outside of CONCACAF region, makes it hard for you to grasp the level of popularity for the sport within a nation like Germany; a nation it's mnt have reached many finals, and won many of the games biggest tournaments.

But think... the USwnt has to win everything on offer, to simply make themselves as financially viable as a mnt that hasn't done anything. In a sport the USmnt's best player can transfer to a new European club for 70 million Euro's, and gains a 10-15 million Euro salary contract, as he see's various elite male players earn themselves 100 million Euro contracts.

Can't you see how different things are outside the context of North American soccer, and how this could both negatively, and positively, effect the development/culture surrounding other types of women's soccer...?

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lohmann and Klingo3034 repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    there’s definitely a love/hate relationship in the US regarding soccer; it’s got an huge participation rate at the youth level, even surpassing football at the single digit age group. it still stays popular as a sport to play after that; among males, over 400K play high school/36K college. The MLS pro league got over 20 teams & was the 7th most attended league in the world(Canadian cities are part of it too). FC Atlanta gets up to pre covid crowds of over 70K. But where it fails horribly is incredibly low TV ratings. thus the real big money in American sports isn’t there & the simple answer for not achieving much men’s soccer is that our best athletes usually drift to other sports. Even Kobe Bryant once said his first love was soccer, but the money was in basketball.
    While football gave us a sense of community; so popular at the high school level with rosters up to 70-80 kids, marching bands that play at halftime to go along with cheerleading, dance troupe’s & color guard, so nearly every one gets involved.
    Outside our Latin community, soccer somehow turned into an very exclusive smug sport, where parents paid to have their kids play on private, select travel teams, it’s like almost like the tennis or golf of team sports(something you would envision more like polo to be, but obviously at a way larger scale). So yeah, due to our elitist attitude in men’s soccer, don’t think we’re be challenging anytime soon.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #499 hotjam2, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    I really thought Nuskin played with authority in the 2nd half, having great chemistry with Brand as well as others. Didn’t see any defensive mistakes. In fact the one time any Serbian got through on the far left, was who else, but Oberdorf falling trying to mark someone.
    Out of the names you mentioned(well yourself said can’t pick that’s not on MVT’s list, otherwise my choice at FB would add even more speed with Kuver) so Rauch looked terribly on defense vs France & Chelsea, where her weak clearance landed on the foot of Kerr for an easy goal! Rall simply got no playing time in this two game set as well as only 8 minutes for BM last time even though they were way ahead. Gwinn turned into an winger last time around for BM. I would say at this stage, Gwinn & Lohmann are no way back to pre injury form(and they’ve been back for over an month now)

This was simply Oberdorf’s worst game ever. It’s like she can’t do the simplist CB 101 tasks out there.

based on last game; minus Marozsan, an strong offensive machine(in the 2nd half) that played with furious pace & precious that could win an Euros or WC. But then ruined in part of MVT’s blind faith in Oberdorf’s defense as well as forcing stupid passing schemes like in the first half. ..but then maybe it was all to ruse out the Serbian defense?
    And then Brand’s explosive first step send shock waves into both opponents defense, but then the icing on the cake is if she could only score

25. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019