German Fraulein National Team 2020 & beyond

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by hotjam2, Feb 26, 2020.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    20th of March.

Lohmann and Germanyfan1993 repped this.
  2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bühl with another goal and assist makes her a strong candidate for POTM, but damn... Oberdorf's influence in this teams 1st and the 2nd half display was seriously impressive.

I still have major questions about this desire to force Popp & Schüller into the same team, as it continues to see Germany relinquish it's ability to control games with 3 CM's, versus the 2 overworked CM's we see whenever Popp in the CAM role.

Leaving me to question how the coaches genuinely believe this meant to work once they face nations with strong CM's, unlike the surprisingly ineffective trio they'd face in the Dutch team...:unsure:

So many questions, and so many strange answers. Today the spin of the roulette table worked, but this lack of faith in your strongest positional department (CM/CAM) will never not make sense to me..:confused:

luka74 and Germanyfan1993 repped this.
  3. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In 90th minute it would be okay with a two-goal three goal lead to sub out Lohmann.

Yes, we can surely expect a confederation restriction.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There also shouldn't be any major goal placed on the Olympics now... most of this group of players never experiencing an Olympics before, with there being very little sign of the coaches WC weirdness being removed alongside the departure of MVT.

I still see Germany with the tools to be a genuine problem for anyone, but continue to display these tools within a style of football that remains uniquely flawed in it's ability make them all function as a genuine collective.

But unlike the end of Neid's run, if something genuinely positive can finally emerge with this young teams time at the Olympics, hopefully it's seeing Hrubesch put Germany in a position to move forwards for once, instead of having to see everything take more steps backwards.

Oh... and this means Germany facing Spain...:coffee: This being a contest that's always really interesting to watch at junior level, and a contest I really need to see happen on the senior stage too.

5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whatever happens between now and the Olympics, it has to see Hrubesch given the opportunity to take these players into a tournament finals.

Looking at the post match talk, it feels like the DFB itching to announce some new stupid idea for their whole wnt program to follow lol.

And knowing with Olympic qualification, Neid and her minions in overtime right now making sure they have some influence on what happens next lol..:cautious:

I just hope they don't sacrifice Hrubesch on the alter of inept leadership, that saw the DFB announce MVT taking over the team prior the WC; as I don't care if it's Hansi Flick waiting to take over... they need to let Hrubesch complete his time on his own terms, then move on.

blissett repped this.
  6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some interesting numbers from today's match, where Germany would restrict Netherland's to the same number of shots the generate Vs Spain, while creating 2 less shots/shots on target, than Spain too...:confused:

Like I keep saying, Germany possessing the tools, but not the correct method to make it all work correctly.

If Germany actually found another plan beyond using Popp in mid-field, retaining more possession of the ball in 2nd half, they probably would have matched or bettered Spain's performance vs the same opponent lol...o_O

7. luka74

luka74 Member

Melbourne CIty, St Pauli, VFL Wolfsburg Frauen, Chelsea WSL
    Australia
    Nov 13, 2017
    Melbourne
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Saw all of the first half on the way to work this morning, and then bits of the second as I started working.Tremendous game from Klara, she was dangerous pretty well every time she carried the ball forward, and played some terrific balls into dangerous areas, unfortunately the other attackers were not always on the same page.
    Oberdorf was exellent, from early on I thought, wow Obi is really up for it today, created the first goal, and did so much good stuff. She plays with such maturity and authority for a young player, love it. Brand didn't do a lot that was effective, burt was at least involved and kept trying, at least from what I saw. Nusken deserved a goal and on a different day Schuller has a hat trick. Apart from a few nervous moments defence did ok ? Hendrich took some risks but also made some important tackles. Hegering was good also.

A lot of positivies but also plenty of room to improve. Obviously it will be who can challenge Spain for gold but I think Germany has the tools to ask serious questions.

Batfink and hotjam2 repped this.
  8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    now leave Lohmann alone, after that performance, he’s too busy worrying if Lohmann’s going to make the final 18 roster cut:cry:

I just skimmed through the Japan/N Korea 2nd legged match, why didn’t NK not get an home court advantage in the 1sr leg(same with Uzbek). And why wasn’t it double checked when it looked like the ball creeped past Japan’s goal line(maybe there wasn’t any VAR ???)

congrats to Australia too, especially with that humongous sellout crowd:thumbsup:

9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You should be more worried about Dallmann(didn't play in both matches).

The ball was not behind the goal line.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/o...でしこジャパン(英語スレッド).2128933/page-26#post-42044268

blissett repped this.
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think Horst decided just to go with Wolfsburg’s free wheelin/almost position-less style to take hold in this game, especially with six starters from that club—so this allowed both Oberdorf & Nusken(supposedly set at the double 6) to move up into the attack.
    The Schuller/Popp inconsistency(Schuller looked great at the #9 vs NED, but poor vs France, whereas for Popp it as the other way around) was do to the Dutch went 5-back in crowding the wings & stopping the crosses that would of helped Popp be more effective. But with Schuller coming in, it helped focus more Germany’s attack right through the middle against the Dutch weak CB duo(featuring the error prone Jansen, lol)

Think the Dutch coach lost his mind, using Beerensteyn as his only go to/target striker considering what an awful & selfish player she was at Bayern, Holland should of just brought its AJax squad instead of what they had to offer yesterday, lol

luka74 repped this.
  11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, Bühl created at least 3 great chances in the first half alone, where we'd see Popp and Gwinn both frustratingly waste with (strangle for them) poor decision making...:confused:.

And it's really interesting to see how much more effective Bühl continues to be for the wnt, where her starting position much more clearly defined as a wide forward, rather than the narrow inside position she's forced into within Bayern's system.

Leaving Hrubesch with the task of reconstructing the right side now, as the previous Huth - Gwinn relationship used to be this teams biggest strength, and so far doesn't come close to the same effectiveness with anyone else.

And this from a player who'd spend most of the first half of the season still positively effecting matches while not even being close to 100% fit...:speechless:

I wish Brand would just focus on staying as wide as possible, using her unique attributes of speed and passing technique, to beat defenders and produce cut backs for forwards...:(

But Vs the Netherlands, she was definitely much better in the positional aspect of her game, creating some hope of potentially better performances to come...:thumbsup:

luka74 repped this.
  12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nüsken is a real example of Germany's genuine depth in mid-field talent right now, as my personal opinion on her still wouldn't see me place her close to the effectiveness of other options available to the wnt within the #8 role lol.

However, it should be noted Nüsken changing to a double 6 alongside Oberdorf for the 2nd half, did result in her general influence becoming more visible within an overall game plan it seemed Germany actively relinquish better possession, in the belief it would allow them more offensive threat.

And in the end while the double 6 of Nüsken - Oberdorf worked Vs the Netherlands, knowing the CM/CAM talent available to Germany, I'm still not fully convinced this actually the best approach for this team to operate at it's full potential..:unsure:

I just want to see Germany play with coaches competent enough to rotate the players in/out of the starting 11, confident their changed team able to maintain a high standard of football.

Yes.. MVT gone now, but all her coaches still here... meaning we've still witnessed some of the same nonsense that lead to a Euro final defeat, disgraceful tactical performances like home defeat to Zambia, and then eventual WC group stage failure...:cautious:

But if Germany can go to the Olympics and demonstrate an ability to dominate/win games, while rotating players... I think everything else will fall into place when it comes to this team being able to achieve major tournament success again.

luka74 repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There are as many pictures as you can wish for to show you that it didn't actually pass the goal-line. :coffee:

Lohmann repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I felt Germany obliterated the Dutch but still to their credit won posession, more passes, & more accurate passes. Goes to show a different style Germany emerging? @Batfink
    upload_2024-2-29_11-20-0.jpeg

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    but it was still close & deserved at least an VAR check(my original question was did they have VAR)

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am not sure, but I assume they didn't have VAR, or Japan should have been given a pair PKs.

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That 18 player Olympic roster selection will be brutal lol.... so you might need to prepare yourself for Dallmann's long run with this team finally ending in a few months time...;)

[​IMG]
    Wolfsburg's 4-2-4 = 4 defenders, two CM's who both defend and attack, a 2nd FW/CAM who stays very high, and two quick wingers who'll provide goals, assists/crosses.

Hrubesch's 4-2-4 = 4 defenders, but both FB's still moving into the attack, two CM's who both defend and attack, a FW who stays closer to the mid-field, and two quick wingers who provide goals, assists/crosses.

Clearly both teams have very defined roles for their players within this variation of a 4-4-2. But when it comes to international competition (and Germany not having a Pajor lol), we're seeing the wnt produce massively inconsistent tactical performances against various quality of competition.

Looking good one game, and then being horrible the next. the 4-2-4 being deployed by Hrubesch, still seeming like a remnant from MVT's failed post Euro experiments, that lead to the disastrous WC exit...:cautious:

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pretty sure Janssen was the Netherlands best defender Vs Spain, and Germany; with her often making herself the last line of defence to prevent Germany getting even more clear shots on her team goal too...:whistling:

But when we look at the big picture of Germany's Nations League run, it very evident the coaches are unusually desperate to force Popp - Schüller into the same team, fully committing to this idea, by not using a dedicated CAM over any of the matches post MVT...:speechless:

Lohmann, or Popp, being the most used options for a supporting. I think the one bonus of the vacuum left behind with no Magull in attack, has been seeing Bühl step up as Germany's most effective offensive threat.

LOL, she's among the top scorers in the Nations League, and the Italian league... who else were they meant to play...?

After the Spain defeat, for their next match we'd see the Netherlands start one of their most hyped mid-field youth prospects 18yo Wieke Kaptein. But she'd see very limited effectiveness facing equally young Lohmann, Oberdorf, Nüsken, and the hugely experienced Popp.

Showing how hard it is to bring in new options to an established wnt, and how despite all the poor leadership, that Germany actually accomplished what the Netherlands need to do, with an impressive amount of 7 strong players all aged under 24 starting in their Nations League semi finals.

A Netherlands side, who'd only be able to manage 4 starters aged under 25 in the same game. Even if they brought in their Ajax contingent of Leuchter, and Grant... looking at their bench, it looks like their in need of a major rebuilding effort...:unsure:

19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL....
    [​IMG]

A lot of this based on the 2nd half, where Germany would actively relinquish possession, to try and initiate more transition focused football aimed at finding Schüller.

Time and again, being able to show you evidence highlighting how this team typically producing it's best football, with less than impressive/dominating possession stats.

It's not smart to believe one positive result the correct answer to Germany's attack, when so much evidence would say the exact opposite...:cautious:

I mean damn... the same week Vs France, we just all witnessed how mediocre this "different style" will look Vs a team using a strong possession based mid-field of it's own lol...:rolleyes:

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @hotjam2 go look at the stats for Germany's loss Vs France; all thanks to the "different style" of the 1st half, it saw Germany lose a match in 45 mins they'd still go on to create more chances than Spain's 90 mins facing the same team during the Nations League final...:confused:

21. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    If they had obliterated the Dutch, they would have won 0-6 with 80+% ball possession.

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Germany hit the woodwork a couple of times & missed a couple of sitters as well, so the score easily could have been 6-0.
    My previous comment was a different Germany emerging because you don’t necessarily have to win possession to dominate a game

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    what helped here too was van de Dork getting an yellow card early. She tends to be one of the dirtiest players around & sneakily getting away with all sorts of nasty fouls without being punished for it. So glad that at least this ref cracked down on her the moment the Dork-ster thought she could get away with it again

seemed like the Dutch concentrated their defense in their right in trying to stop the crosses from the Buhl/Linder combo, but thr left themselves open on other areas.
    Loved Gwinn’s solo run, with a little practice might been able to side step the last Dutch defender

and got to say…loved the fact that Brand established herself again in these two games; thr only player that could boast an 3-0 score line when she was on the field!

going on with the future Olympic 18 roster, obviously Dallmann will have an hard time making it(since she received zero playing time) Frankfurt were the biggest losers club wise as no playing time anybody(but you got to figure 1-2 defenders will be chosen anyways. Got the feeling based on seniority, Huth will be chosen even though there an host of better wingers to pick from— your down 16 field players compare to 20 on a usual NT roster. So Endemann is going to be iffy(unless Horst dumps Huth)

and Lohmann definitely had an bad game vs Holland; your posts were all over the place with
    Where’s the CAM? Where’s the CAM?(well that was suppose to be Lohmann, lol).

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :unsure:... is this the same reasoning behind you saying Spain would also destroy the Netherlands...?

Both Spain and Germany's chance creation Vs the Netherlands very similar. Even if I wouldn't call either side's win close to representing a complete domination, it would explain why you personally feel differently lol.

Germany have never needed to completely dominate possession to create highly successful teams (in the past), and with the latest generation of talent continuing this pattern with the wnt's best tournament run in years, taking place with with Germany seeking far less possession than teams like Spain, England, France...:confused:

Again... do you not remember me posting this numerous times now...?
    [​IMG]

This is what Germany will typically look like when there at their most effective, and this isn't what we witnessed Vs the Netherland's... but still significantly better than the absolute garbage we witnessed the year following the Euro's.

And what's really crazy about this team style comparison, is knowing Spain would achieve their biggest results when they changed to more closely resemble Germany's median positioning lol..:whistling:

25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Which is why Germany would benefit even more having equal effectiveness on both sides of the field. Going from Huth - Gwinn combining so effectively as Germany's main source of chance creation, to seeing this completely flip to the other side of the field now with Bühl - Linder...:confused:

Really... this sounds pretty condescending lol...:cautious: Gwinn known to be very capable of dribbling around defenders. However, like we'd see with Popp, Brand, Lohmann, all failing to beat the last defender with appropriate skill, it was very strange seeing Gwinn incapable of beating the last defender in this particular moment too.

LOL... 8 games during this whole Nations League run, and your only going to use the final two matches in your analysis of Brand's overall offensive/defensive contributions to this team....:rolleyes:

Both Dallmann, and Huth, still have more assists/shot creation involvements over Brand within Hrubesch's teams...:whistling:. And now with Endemann making her debut, Brand will likely still have legit competition for a starting role come the Olympics.

Lets be real here.... Dallmann is not going to be part of the 18 team roster for the Olympics...
    -------------------------- Popp ----------------- Schüller ---------------------------------
    Bühl ------------------------------------------------------------------ Brand/Endemann
    ---------- Oberdorf/Senß/Däbritz ---------- Nüsken/Lohmann --------------
    Rauch/Linder ----- Hegering -------------- Hendrich/Doorsoun ------ Gwinn
    --------------------------------- Frohms/Johannes ------------------------------------
    5 Forwards. 5 Mid-fielders. 6 Defenders. 2 GK's... yeah, even if this potential 18 incorrect, I'm still thinking it's goodbye Dallmann lol...:coffee: