German Dual/Triple Nationals.

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    blame that on possession football and false 9.

2. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Last year, it came out that the Turkish Football Federation tried to recruit Bayern München's Niklas Süle while he was playing for the German under-16 national team. Now, the German international has elaborated what happened at the time.

Apparently, the Turkish Football Federation assumed that he is of Turkish descent because of his surname. But he's not. Süle, who was born in Germany, also holds Hungarian citizenship.

"At that time, a German-speaking representative from the association called me and spoke to me directly in Turkish. I told him that, unfortunately, I didn't understand what he said," he told Die Welt and added:

"Then he asked me in German if I have any Turkish roots, and when I said no, the subject was all exhausted. It was funny."

Süle made his debut for the German national team in August 2016 and has appeared 15 times for 'Die Mannschaft'.

https://bulinews.com/news/1315/how-turkey-tried-to-recruit-niklas-sule-for-the-national-team

Ger90 repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    imagine in another world, we had a Sule-Orban CB partnership playing for Hungary.

but lol at Turkey, they are so desperate to poach German-Turks.

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Muhammed Kiprit scored for Turkey U21 in his 1st game for them as a sub in a 2-0 win in a friendly vs Scotland. So far good start for him.

while Uzun scored in a 3-0 win vs Moldova in U19. Their last game is vs England. They still seem headed towards a fail to make the Elite Round. So far 3 goals in 4 games for him as a Turkey player.

still Turkey isn't doing that well. U19 seem headed towards a qualifier exit for 2019 U19 EC, their U21 failed to make the 2019 U21 EC (still only qualified once in U21) and Turkey senior have been relegated to League C in NL.

5. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    According to his TM profile, Luca Beckenbauer is also eligible for Austria. Not really clear what the association is although I assume it's from his mother.

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the whole dual thing in Germany when it comes to footballers is very complicated. Seems like a lot (I mean a lot) of the kids have exactly dual parents. Either German father or mother. Very integrated.

You look at other countries in Europe and most duals are pretty much kids who's parents (both) have origins from outside the country.

as for Luca yeah I also noticed the Austrian link too. Although just a guess but I think him being injured over basically the whole last season is why Germany never bothered with him. So others moved ahead of him. And that his last name (at least for now) might stop him from playing for Austria. I'm hoping he stays patient with Germany, I think based on selections very unlikely he's part of the U19 campaign. But if he breakthrough Hannover 1st team, his chances for U20/U21 skyrocket.

Epitome990 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lukas Nmecha scored against Germany U20 in a 2-0 win.

such an obnoxious player, born in Germany to a German mom and Nigerian father but plays for England as he moved to England as a 9 year old. Not only did he score vs Germany today, but....

the 2017 U19 Euro, England won that tournament because of him. U19 Euro is an 8 team tournament, and this guy scored
    -winning goal in the Semi-Finals vs the Czech in a 1-0 win the 90+3 minutes.
    -winning goal in the Final vs Portugal in a 2-1 win in the 68th minute.

in the end England only won that tourney because a German won it for them.:D

9. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He moved there at 9 years old and grown up there with friends n teammates

Got a British passport, why does he have to feel German?

We have never developed him footballwise

Apparently he has players like Akpom or Zaha who opted for some other countries (Zaha is a ng loss) but they tend to wait until after U21 and decide to change.

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I tend to think the whole playing for a NT because of teammate and friends is very lame reason. But to each their own.

why does he have to feel German? Maybe because he his German? Between his mom, birth and living there for half his life. Heck even playing for Nigeria would have made more sense than England.

not sure why your bothered by this anyways. What's the problem if someone finds a player obnoxious? No rule anywhere says you have to like every player.

11. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well we have players like Moukoko who plays for Germany, Marko Marin plays for us, Klose born in Poland, Podolski born in Poland.. and many examples who immigrated to Germany nowadays like Dahoud, Amiri, Makanda And Glatzel.

How many fringe players can we take?

Don’t think Nmecha’s decision is weird at all. He grows up there, 9 is still young n he might not have started Football

12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    are you really comparing refugees and African immigration to players going from Germany to England? Podolski and Klose are both German-Poles, they have German relations. Marin's family moved to Germany for a better life and he was 2 years old.

Glatzel as in Paul Glatzel at least that guy was born in England and lived his whole life there. And both parents are German too. So either choice would have been fine.

where did I say I wanted Lukas Nmecha for Germany. All I said was that he's obnoxious and even more so for playing for England. And even more obnoxious for scoring against Germany.:p

13. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He doesn’t feel German at all, the connection is weak n the way he grew up he was bullied a bit in Germany at that time

Really personal experience

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    nothing about his life is weak connection just sounds like a dude who doesn't want to be German and wanting to fit in England.

still an obnoxious player.

15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so does Jamal Musiala also not feel German? Another one who isn't British but plays for England, played for them this month. But unlike L.Nmecha he flip flops between the 2.

next year he will have to decide between Germany or England for the U17 Euro qualifiers.

16. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No idea. That’s what I have been informed with about Lukas

And they have Relatives (Nigerian) living in UK , so they aren’t complete unrelated to England

I think Bright didn’t play too well for German U16 last time. Musiala also was ok, but at least we have better talents at his position (AM) than him in Germany. And he doesn’t speak the langauage well so it’s difficult for him

It can be a factor. But what matters most is not the provisional cap

17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it's way too early to say we have better talents while players are only 15 years old. Same for someone who didn't play too well, now is just the beginning. We've seen this story a 1000 times, tons of players fall off the NT post U17 while others who get left out do a lot better as they age.

meanwhile Turkey U19 made the Elite Round as they beat the England 00 group 1-0, lol. And Iceland only drew Moldova 1-1, which means they top their group with England U19 in 2nd place. Seems like Aydinel, Uzun etc get to progress.

18. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Many people with migration past don't feel as Germans in Germany, even those who belong to the third generations. Observe Turkish-Germans, even after 50-70 years, they don't give German first names to their children. Mesut Ozil is third generation. Gundogan second...

Earlier, Davala Umit, Basturk, Altintop brothers picked Turkey, all born in Germany. For Germany, it's better that Low doesn't count so much on players with dual citizenships. Many foreigners rather keep their Gastarbeiter status, which is also silly decision, life in a country without citizenship.

It's nice to take players like Fredi Bobic, Thomas Brdaric, whose cultural background is similar to the German, because of Austrian Monarchy legacy.

What do you think about the game against Netherlands? 2-2? Is it possible that Germany prefers more Netherlands than France? Germany vanished after the second goal and Dutch players were not so much surprised because of the comeback. I had that impression, maybe I am wrong.:D Besides that banner Low Raus, I don't see many criticism about that match. Probably there are still negative sentiments against France.:D

19. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Podolski doesn't have German heritage,

In 1987, when Podolski was two years old, his family emigrated from Poland to West Germany and were given Aussiedler status as a result of his paternal grandparents having German citizenship prior to World War II (Gliwice was a part of Germany until 1945 as Gleiwitz).[85] Podolski grew up in Bergheim, North Rhine-Westphalia, and later in Pulheim, both near Cologne.

Podolski is a Polish surname, even if his paternal grandparents had German citizenships. The words Podol, Dol are Slavic words for the Valley, or Under The Valley. Obviously, all residents of Gliwice had German citizenships until 1945.

Similar is with these surnames, they are not German at all:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Germany_international_footballers
    Rüdiger Abramczik
    Michael Ballack
    Tim Borowski
    Ulrich Borowka
    Hans Cieslarczyk
    Rudolf Gellesch - sounds as Germanized from Gelesz?
    Jürgen Grabowski
    Horst Hrubesch
    Erich Juskowiak
    Jens Jeremies - not sure about him, he is from Gorlitz.
    Alfred Kelbassa
    Stanislaus Kobierski
    Heinz Kwiatkowski
    Reinhard Libuda
    Manfred Manglitz, etc.

Leon Goretzka is also included. I picked only Poles, Czechs sounds. They all came in Ruhr area mostly. All Germans surnames who have tsch, sch at the end, or owski at the end, same as itz at the end, usually have Polish, Czech origins, or Russian, like this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Fomitschow

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Didn't say Podolski has German heritage but he's a German-Pole either way. Moved to Germany as a 2 year old too, grandparents were citizens too.

the discussion has nothing to do with surnames. One should also take into consideration that surnames usually come from the father's father etc.

our discussion is of Lukas Nmecha, Nmecha is Nigerian name yet his mom is German.

reason why most German-Turks give Turkish names is because a huge chunk of them have both parents being Turkish. But you still have examples like Levin Oztunali, who has a German mom. And of course some will pick Turkey as they a lot of them aren't good enough for Germany so they go for Turkey, other times it's the influence of family etc. Nothing wrong with that.

all this fuss because someone said they find Lukas Nmecha an obnoxious player, big deal. Would say the same about Musiala if he ends up playing for England in the long run.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the irony is Griezmann who's of German descent (as well as other origins) got some dissing after he keeps scoring vs Germany, people are OK with that because he's a Frenchie.

what's the difference between that and Lukas Nmecha scoring vs Germany while playing for England? At least Griezmann is more distant relation to Germany.

22. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nmecha doesn’t have a German passport by the way.

Even he was born in Germany.

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so Felix who's played for Germany and left when he was younger has?

24. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That’s what I have been told

Maybe Lukas forfeit the citizenship or something

25. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was raised in England, lived there for 11 years . Why would u want him not to play for England is a bit weird

He spent most of his life there...

Why is that not a normal decision?