Gerd Müller - Der Bomber tribute

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Alex C, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very sad news that legendary Bayern and Germany striker Gerd Müller has passed away at the age of 75.

I am too young to remember him but my parents were big fans and said despite his short legged appearance he was an incredibly powerful and clinical striker, brilliant in the air one of greatest scorers in history.

His record is incredible with 487 goals in 555 club games (398 in 453 games for Bayern) and 68 goals in 62 caps for the NT winning both the Euro in 72 and World Cup in 74 famously scoring the winning goal v the Dutch in the final.

Until last season he held the record for most goals in a BL season (40 in 71/72 season) and is the all time leading BL scorer with 365 goals in 427 matches averaging more then a goal a game in 7 different seasons and also held the record for most goals in a calendar year (85 in 1972) only beaten by Messi in 2012.

With Bayern he won 4 BL titles, 4 Pokals, 3 consecutive European Champions Cup titles (scoring in 74 and 75 finals), 1 intercontinental cup and 1 cup winners cup. He also won the Ballon D’or in 1970.

A true world footballing legend. RIP

poorvi, Dage, Blueberry_night and 2 others repped this.
  2. PierreLittbarski

1. FC Köln
    Germany
    Sep 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

His finishing ability was unrivalled during his playing days. He was the most box finisher ever. His low centre of gravity allowed him to receive the ball with his back turned to goal, and turn to fire a shot almost instantly. He could put the ball in with his right foot, his left foot, his head and any other part of his body. 578 games: 518 goals and 105 assists International stats: 62 games, 68 goals. [ Some of his best honours: 1970 Ballon D'or 7× Bundesliga top scorer 2× German footballer of the year 1974 World Cup winner 1× Euro with Germany 3× Champions league winner

rj123, Blueberry_night and Alex C repped this.
  3. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Terrible news to wake up in the morning…Rest In Peace Der Bomber

4. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    To this day it still shocks me that Miroslav Klose is Germany's all-time goalscorer, because Der Bomber scored more goals than he had caps for the NT. That's how big Gerd Müller is.

As someone who has long since accepted the fact that death is inevitable, don't be sad that it's over, be happy because it happened.

R.I.P. Gerd Müller.

5. PierreLittbarski

1. FC Köln
    Germany
    Sep 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose was trained as a carpenter before moving to Kaiserslautern at the age of 20, did very well do have the career playing part-time in German lower league football.Rudi Voller, Oliver Bierhoff, Jurgen Klinsmann Were better strikers Klose. But no need to disrespect Klose. Klose was rapid in his prime for the Kaiserslautern .Werder. Plus more games NT games and weaker opponents in the NT stage means more. Saying that Klose is NT greatest striker is like asking if earth is the biggest planet in our solar system. Gerd Müller was double the player. Klose scored about half a goal per game, while Müller scored one goal per game.

Alex C repped this.
  6. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    RIP THE GREATEST CENTER FORWARD OF ALL TIME. Indeed a very sad day today.

Alex C and Blueberry_night repped this.
  7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Beckenbauer has emphasized Müller's unusual speed: "His pace was incredible. In training I have played against him and I never had a chance."

Alex C and Blueberry_night repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Blueberry_night, rj123 and Alex C repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Blueberry_night, rj123, dips82 and 3 others repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Gerd Müller said in an interview with FIFA that although he won it, he didn't enjoy the 1974 World Cup, because there was a lot of internal turmoil in the squad which was triggered by the 0-1 loss to East Germany, compared to the 1970 World Cup where there was genuine camaraderie amongst the squad.

You read that right. Gerd Müller preferred 1970 to 1974.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1st vid is biography in English

Blueberry_night repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Blueberry_night repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    mullered
    1 Broken, smashed or beaten up to the point of being visisbly altered, unusuable or non-functional.
    2 Resoundingly beaten in a competition of some kind.

As far as I am aware this term comes from the German footballer Gerd Muller who scored lots of goals.

"we absolutely mullered Huddersfield in the second half"

A bus smashed right into his car and absolutely mullered it....

We got bloody mullered at five-a-side, 10 bleedin' nill

This term probably comes from German international footballer Gerd Muller who used to destroy teams with his sizzling shots from inside or outside the penalty area....

Gerd Muller, known as "Der Bomber", is the greatest goal-scorer of the modern era. He scored an amazing 68 goals in 62 games for West Germany during the 1970s, including the win in the 1974 World Cup Final.

Gerd Muller, a stocky, powerful striker with matchless speed in the penalty area, amassed 628 goals in first class football. This included 365 goals for Bayern Munich during his 14 year career.

Alex C and rj123 repped this.
  17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Those tournaments are comparable to 14 and 18. A group of mostly elder and arrogant superstars who thought theyd win 74 on the fly-by. The only team they actually respected were the Dutch. After a weak group stage and the loss to GDR they had a meeting taking the whole night were they yelled at each other and drank hard stuff. What ensued was Beckenbauer and other major players taking control bc they considered this their last chance. The players basically coached themselves, changed tactics and played their heart out in rainy slugfests against Sweden and Poland. Both the games against Poland and Holland were lucky wins with Hoeneß himself stating that they were finished by the finals half-time. If Müller hadnt scored before half-time, winning this would have become incredibly hard.

So that 74 certainly wasnt a pleasure cruise is no surprise especially in front of the whole nation. Mexico 70 far away from home with no expectations after the 68 failure of course is a fonder memory

Blueberry_night, Ger90 and BVBFNM repped this.
  18. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The difference being that they managed to pull themselves together and win the World Cup, whereas the 2018 squad crashed and burned.

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thomas Müller (professional of FC Bayern and the national team): "Dear Gerd, it was an honor to have met you personally. (...) Without your goals we would not be where we are now. Thank you for everything and Finally, the most important message: You were a sensationally good person !! "

Herbert Hainer (President of FC Bayern): "Gerd Müller was the greatest striker there has ever been - and a fine person, a personality of world football. (...) Without Gerd Müller, FC Bayern would not be the club today, as we all love him. (...) His name and the memory of him will live on forever. "

Oliver Kahn (CEO of FC Bayern): "He is one of the greatest legends in the history of FC Bayern, his achievements are unmatched to this day and will forever be part of the great history of FC Bayern and German football as a whole. (.. .) Gerd will be in our hearts forever. "

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (former CEO of FC Bayern): "I was very lucky as a young striker to play alongside Gerd Müller and to score many goals for him. His way of scoring was inimitable, nonetheless I was able to learn an incredible amount from him. Gerd Müller was great because he never wanted to be tall, a genius who played with heart and head and an instinctive footballer that has probably never been and will never be again. (... ) Should there be a soccer team in heaven - now it's a giant richer. "

Hansi Flick (national coach): "The news of Gerd Müller's death makes me infinitely sad. He has shaped entire generations of footballers beyond his active time. Gerd Müller remains a model of humility and down-to-earthness. He remains unmatched."

Oliver Bierhoff (DFB Director): "Gerd Müller was one of the greatest players who ever wore the national team's jersey. He made Germany world champion in 1974 and was the top scorer when he won the European Championship in 1972, his determination and accuracy remain unmatched."

Hans-Joachim Watzke (Managing Director Borussia Dortmund): "I had the great honor to get to know him personally as a very humble and pleasant person. He was an extraordinary player to whom FC Bayern and the German national soccer team owe an infinite amount to have."

Reinhard Rauball (President Borussia Dortmund): "I got to know Gerd Müller as an absolutely exemplary athlete, whose 365 goals in 427 Bundesliga games are unsurpassed. If the ball in the penalty area came anywhere near him, you thought Müller would do anything."

Rainer Koch (President of the Bavarian Football Association): "What remains is the memory of a great football player and the gratitude of all of football Germany for an incredible number of great goals."

Peter Peters (Vice President of the German Football Association): "With Gerd Müller there is a great piece of German football history. We are affected and deeply sad. What football is about: goals, how I owe many wonderful memories to Gerd Müller to millions of others. "

Rudi Völler (Managing Director Sport Bayer 04 Leverkusen): "Gerd Müller was one of the greatest goalscorers of all time, not only in Germany but around the world. Of course he was also a role model for me as a striker. It's a sad day for football, Gerds Achievements will remain unforgettable. "

Markus Söder (Prime Minister of Bavaria): "Without him, FC Bayern and the German team would never have been able to follow this road to success ... All of Bavaria mourns this humble, successful man."

Gary Lineker (ex-England international): "I loved to see him as a kid and learned so much from it. The best goal scorer in the box I have ever seen"

Enrico Albertosi (former Italian national goalkeeper): "A beast. He didn't forgive anything in the penalty area, you couldn't make the smallest mistake. He was always there, ready to make it up."

20. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No quote from Jogi Loew?

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Condolences to Germany from Scotland what a player Gerd Muller was, if he were in his prime today he’d be worth over £100m, old colleague at my work went to World Cup 74 and told me best player he’d seen in his life was Muller, anyway rest easy Gerd!"

Alex C repped this.
  22. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    R.I.P Gerd

I remember an interview that I watched years ago. When asked, what was the usual strategy to win games, Uli Hoeness replied:
    "Pass the ball to Gerd and watch".

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  24. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Allianz Arena special illumination in his memory.

upload_2021-8-16_12-56-0.jpeg

25. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany