Gerard Lopez Segu [R] Uefa Cup result

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Mario, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Gerard has been quoted as he considers this HIS season, I guess Cocu could pair him in the middle and a back line composed by GvB as LB (and Oscar Lopez as a sub) either Puyol or Gabri as RB and Marquez with either Andersson/Reiziger or Puyol (in case Gabri starts as RB) as the Centerbacks.

2. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since Puyol is the centerpiece of the defence put him where's he's most comfortable and productive. If he's comfortable w/ Gabri on his right then place him there. Maybe Gerard deserves a shot at being el cerebro.

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kluivert was denied but the keeper dropped the ball and Kluivert put it in. He was called offside even though the Ball hit the WALL!

THe Refs screwed Kluiverts first goal.

In the 2nd half. LE21 made a great run similar to Ronnie run against Sevilla..'cept LE21 got into the box and he beat 4 people but LE blasted his shot over the bar.

Ronnie made another good run and tried to chip the keeper but it wasn't high enough. Ronnie and PK9 should stop trying to chip the keepr's and just put it HARD and LOW. the Puchov GK was 6'4".

Saviola was instantly dangerous. He should've started instead of Quaresma, IMHO. Gerard was disciplined for some reason before the match..and didn't play. Neither did, Marquez, PA, nor Rustu :rolleyes:

Overmars put in some work got a low cross in which was tipped and rolled to Saviola who DIDN'T slide into the post to tap it in...Barca won a corner.

RUSTU didn't play. And Rijkaard made only 1 SUB the ENTIRE MATCH!!!!

WTF. Does he not realize we have Atletico on Saturday...U CANNOT KEEP PLAYING PUYOL 90MINUTES! U F'N A$$ HOLE!!!! AND PUT IN RECBER!!!!!

4. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Here's your answer as to why Gerard was dropped:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=278383&cc=5901

MADRID, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Barcelona midfielder Gerard was dropped from the starting line-up for his team's UEFA Cup tie against Slovakia's Puchov on Wednesday for using a mobile phone in the changing room.

'What happened was a shame, because he was going to play,' said Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard. 'I had to drop him because of what happened just a few minutes before the game was due to get underway.

'The use of mobile phones in the changing room is prohibited. He broke the rules and I can't stand for that.

'I know that he feels bad about it, but this is a warning to both him and his team mates. There has to be discipline when the team prepares for games like this.'

Gerard was viewed as one of Spain's most promising young players when he joined Barcelona from Valencia for $20.35 million three years ago, but his early progress was hampered by a series of serious knee injuries.

He now looks to have recovered full fitness and his early-season form suggests he will be a strong contender for a regular place in the Barca first team.

Dutch winger Marc Overmars took Gerard's place in the side on Wednesday but Barca failed to gel and they could only manage a 1-1 draw after Puchov equalised in the last minute.

'We weren't able to get the possession we needed,' said Rijkaard. 'We rushed things, lost the ball and ended up playing on the break. We did have our chances, but we weren't able to take advantage and that's why I think this was a fair result.'

Barcelona host Puchov in the return leg of the first round tie on October 15.

Slovak booty call or not, that had to be done. If I was FR I would've done the same thing.

As for threads, I kind of like the individual match threads myself, as long as they don't evolve into a bitchfest about the team's current form. Maybe keep this current thread to talk about form, tactics, club stuff, etc., but separate threads to discuss individual matches.

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that Mario combined these posts to make the most Incoherent thread ever.

And that something coming from me: The Master of Incoherence!

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ITS UEFA CUP time again!!

Well..I expect to see Youth, Youth and youth for Barca v Puchov on the 15th. Gerard making his official UEFA cup debut next to Xavi in Midfield w/ LE21 wide right and Overmars on the left w/ Iniesta a la no.10. Saviola up top..

I know it seems impossible but yes. All signs may point to Saviola getting a starting nod in the Striker position. Saviola can quite possibly eat the Puchov defence for lunch, especially if he wants to keep a starting position.

Marquez will also play in the back I'd hope.

Another idea may put Xavi on the bench in favor of Cocu.

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uefa Cup Leg 2. [R]

I have no clue as to who is starting but its Barca 2-0 Puchov in the 34th.

Ok now I know. Mario our qualms have been heard apparently, Luis Garcia + Saviola started, as well as Gabri and Motta. And and and....

RUSTU Started :D

R10 has a brace, but apparently they got a 3rd from Motta in the 42nd.

8. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure, but when i looked on Uefa.com it showed the score as 7-0 in the 81st minute.

Gulp

if this is true, it seems liek we have our starting line-up for Depor this weekend.

9. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    8-0 was the final. Barça had 17 shots on goal in the first half alone. Diario Sport said that Puchov would struggle to be even in the Spanish 2nd division.

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Puchov wasn't an equal opponent, but at the same token if we can drop 8 on Puchov, then why can't we perform like this in Copa Del Ray?

Sometimes is good to put some goals in... I mean Luis Enrique scored 2, Saviola scored 2. I didn't expect Gaucho to play..but.. I hope he was ok. Next Round..let's see who we draw.

11. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Equal or not equal, we won ( and how!!!!) and that count. It is only the first leg where opponents are not hard to play. I think it was nice to watch the game for use fans and a game to get some self confidence for players and manager.Barca showed that can play a great football. But now there is no more excuses about not knowing each other. Now they will have to play good also in La Liga.

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what is most important.

13. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Puchov are no powerhouse, but any time you put up a snowman in a non-friendly match, it's an accomplishment. Perfect timing too, considering we couldn't score in a women's prison over the past month.

Ronaldinho's 3rd goal was a real gem. Did anyone catch that Karate Kid move he made with his arms before he chipped the ball over the keeper? Classic stuff. The Hawaiian "hang loose" hand gestures have to go though.

14. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have yet to figure out why he does that...unless its copyrighted by Nike and cannot used without the expressed written consent of FC Barcelona, Nike, and Ronaldo Assis de Moriera.

15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    whats wrong with that hand signings?

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chrisc doesn't like them, I've noticed he does them since pre-season, I haven't understood what he means.

17. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a video available?