Georgia vs Italy Pre/Post Game Comments [R] Oct 11 Euro 2008 Qualifier

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by ArtemioD, Oct 8, 2006.

1. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wednesday Oct 11 2006 at Tbilisi Georgia 2:00 pm Est.

The game will be shown on Rai International TLN and Setanta Sport.

The teams have played 4 times in the past all WC qualifiers.

The results below:

10-9-96 ​
    Italy 1-0 Perugia

9-10-97 ​
    Tie 0-0 Tbilisi

10-11-00 ​
    Italy 2-0 Ancona

6-2-01 ​
    Italy 2-1 Tbilisi

2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Georgia vs Italy Pre/Post Game Comments Oct 11 Euro 2008 Qualifier

I would give Di Natale the start for this game. Give him atleast 60 minutes to do something, and if it's not working put in ADP as a sub.

I hope Di Natale takes some shots, because if you give him space he can unleash laser beams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhD212hPni4

3. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006

I hope we can go out there and bag 3-4 goals. :D But then again this is wishful thinking since we rarely seem to do that. But I think if we get an early goal, it will give us the confidence too move forward and cream them. Teams like Georgia and the FI are where we're supposed to make up the goal difference.

Anyways, I'll miss the game because of school but I'll be able to catch the last 15 minutes live. Then I'll watch the whole game on tape to see who played well. But if they loose I won't bother. :(

Edit: Gattuso is suspended for this match right?

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006

YAAAAYYY

6. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

That's probably bad karma...but I'll join you on it.

I'd really like to see Di Michele get a run out up front with Toni. And there's no one to really take Gattuso's place so easily. Having Perotta back but De Rossi injured isn't a good thing.

I really want to see Nesta back again next to Canna.

I kind of doubt that, I think only the FI would be like that. My guess would be that like any former east bloc squad, they'd be heavy on the defending and short on creativity, which means a win but not by a high score.

But that's all conjecture -- anyone know anything about the Georgian squad?

P.S. note to Donadoni, you're not out of the woods yet.

7. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Well Georgia played Germany in a friendly yesterday and the score was 2-0 for Germany.
    But the German squad was their "B" team with alot of new youngsters. :D And Lukis Podolski was red carded so that may be another reason why they didn't score more.
    And I'm pretty sure that Italy's A team can do something great this Wednesday.

8. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As you can see in Artemio's post, we've always had success against Georgia in the past, but they are not blow-out games, they are grind-it-out wins and playing in Tblisi will be no picnic.

9. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Yeap, that's why I said we should get an early goal to open up the game.

Once we got that PK in yesterday's game, they looked like they were ressurected. It could of easily ended 3-0.

I know that we don't have a very good track record for high scoring games but one can only hope..:eek:

10. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Where is this nonsense about Italy not having a good track record for high scoring games coming from?

In the second round of the WC qualifier in 2002, Italy easily defeated Azerbaijan and Wales in a 4-0 victory. I'm not sure what you people are expecting to see. The fact is, Italy rarely goes against teams of the caliber such as the Foere Islands or Andorra, like England and Germany do. However, Italy has had their shares of high scoring goals. The 4-1 crushing of Germany and the 3-0 victory over Ukraine in the World Cup are not low-scoring. They are pretty comfortable wins.

These blowouts you people are expecting are hardly common in soccer. When was the last time, for example, that you've seen Germany defeat a nation like Argentina 4-0? It simply doesn't happen. Italy doesn't have an easily qualifying group, and being the current World Champions will make everyone want a piece of us.

However, I still believe Italy can come through with a 3-0 win. France did in Tbilisi, I don't see why the Azzurri cannot. I also agree that the Ukraine game could have ended with a higher amount of goals for us. Italy had a lot of great chances, and Ukraine had a lot of luck. Their goalkeeper was doing a great job, in my opinion. I hold a lot of respect for that team, and I'd love for them to join Italy in European Championship. The main reason why Italy probably didn't "perform" as well as expected is because there are still some physical problems.

I just hope they work their hardest to defeat Georgia. They may be a relatively insignificant team, but it would be stupid to underestimate anyone, especially with the hole Italy is in at this time.

11. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I think we learned our lesson to no underestimate anyone when we played Lithuania.. :eek:

12. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    We should have learned that lesson in 2004 when we lost against Wales....and in 2005 when we lost against Slovenia.....

13. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Normally, I would be afraid of this game being a sleeper game for Italy with them not playing up to par & not getting results. But, the situation being what it is, I'm expecting Italy to come out playing very well. This game still has to be looked at as a must-win for them.

I think we'll see Di Natale start the game with Toni & ADP coming in as a sub. Hopefully, Nesta will start this game as well.

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    .......................If Oddo keeps this up. Grosso will be sitting on bench for a sometime.

15. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA

Aww, what a shame.

16. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gotta love Grosso for his WC heroics... but Oddo looks great right now. It's a no brainer to keep Oddo in there.

17. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Donadoni should try this line up vs Georgia

---------------------Buffon
    Oddo---Materazzi/Nesta---Cannavaro---Pasqual
    ---Zambrotta---Pirlo---De Rossi---Perotta
    -------------Toni---Di Natale

18. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA

That would be a smart idea, considering the fact that Gattuso isn't here. But I think he'll focus on a 4-4-3 again.

Curious though, has Cassano's injury really been that bad? He won't be ready for the match against Georgia?

19. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Lippi didn't like playing Oddo, and that's why we saw Zaccardo :eek: play before him

20. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Loosing Grosso wouldn't be the worst thing. Don't get me wrong his goal vs. Germany will never be forgotten for as long as I live but.. He's just not performing well. Maybe when he gets back in form, but I don't know.

For the next game I wanna see Di Natale starting and Di Michele comming in as a sub. Del Piero shouldn't start, maybe come in at the 70th minute.
    And I'm pretty sure Nesta will start as well.
    I don't wanna see Iaquinta. NOT EVEN AS A DAMN SUB.

21. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    No offense but if you don't like playing someone why bring them to the WC? :(

22. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Iaquinta just doesn't have any chemistry with the team. It's not like he hasn't had ample opportunity either. He SHOULD have gotten at least a goal yesterday with of the opportunities that were presented to him. I agree that he should be left out of the game Wednesday.

23. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

I think Donadoni put a lot of faith in Cassano and he was great Vs Lithunia, but of course we only got a tie.

Then vs France he sucked and we lost. The next game was in Rome and there was no WAY Donadoni could have played Cassano.
    The Crowd in Rome would have been too hositle in a game Italy had to win.

Roma fans HATE Cassano, epecially after the spat he had with Totti when he left Roma.

24. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To be the official team barber.... <shakes head> :eek:

25. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Laquinta had 3 clear chances yesterday and 2 were wasted in front of the goal.