Georgia v Scotland - EURO 2008 - our penultimate test - pre/match/post - [R]

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Oct 14, 2007.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    mcleish's after match response.....

pretty much as expected.

2. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Scotland can hope for Lithuania to hold France
    its 0-0 currently at Half Time

France hasn’t played well lately
    Last 5 results:

1-0 at home against Georgia, struggled
    0-0 in Italy, where they were playing for the tie right from the start
    0-1 at home to Scotland, we all know that one :)
    0-6 in Faroe Islands, this doesn’t count, its Faroe Islands
    0-0 now against Lithuania at half

Those are France's last 5 results
    If Lithuania can somehow old France today, I think France will have it in deep in Ukraine on Nov 21 and if France doesnt get the win in Ukraine, Scotland will advance EVEN if they lose to Italy!

3. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    would it be considered being greedy if i were to hope for a lithuanian victory? :)

4. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    who was the team in red, because it sure as ******** wasn't scotland? :mad:

5. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto

Nevermind all of that
    France won 2-0, Henry scored both in the 82nd and 83rd minute

6. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    Scotland can finish above Italy with a win and/or above France if the sum of points gained by Scotland and lost by France exceeds 3.

7. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    huh?
    Scotland has to beat Italy to qualify

If Scotland and Italy Draw, then Scotland would need Ukraine to beat France and then hope to go through on a tie breaker (I am not sure what the first tie breaker is, if it's head to head then Scotland would advance and France would be out.

If France wins, then Scotland's only chance is to beat Italy

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i'm sure the first tie breaker is head-to-head results.

but to be certain of qualification we need to beat italy.

i'd hate to draw and then have to hope france slip up in ukraine.

9. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i still don't understand why we wearing that god awful, pig ugly strip for anyway.. :(

10. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Well, that was poor. WE have been excellent throughout this campaign but tonight was a low and we'll have to get over it.

We did have players missing but the performances from some of the first choice wasn't up to scratch.

We surely have to beat Italy now to qualify but, as Craig Levein says, we'd all have taken that at the start. Hopefully we'll have Hutton, Naysmith, Brown and McCulloch and Darren Fletcher will be fit again.

11. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    even though there are still a lot of bruised egos over the scotland win in paris i personally hope scotland go through over italy. if you guys can beat italy and we win in ukraine then i will be delighted. :D

12. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Beat the Italians.

13. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even if France draws...

With this defeat in Georgia, the whole situation has totally changed.

It reminds me of a certain German 2nd league team from my home town, which always manages to throw away the 1st league promotion in the last 2-3 games...

15. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    France have to lose if Scotland draw, no other way around it.

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Better said, Scotland has to hope for a Ukraine win if they only get a draw against Italy. All clear now? ;)

17. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I'm scratching my head on this one. I'm one of those neutrals rooting for Scotland. I love underdogs, but I'm like "what the..." Scotland can beat France twice, can beat Ukraine, but can't even draw Georgia? And what's up with those jerseys? I thought that Scotland was Portugal when I first saw the uniforms. It's kind of like Brazil suddenly wearing brown.

Now they must beat one of the toughest road teams in the world in Italy. If anyone remembers, it was not all that long ago that Italy went to the Ukraine basically needing a win or else they would be in serious trouble in this group. They got that win. Italy also beat Germany in a stadium where Germany had never lost before during the World Cup.

I'll be rooting for Scotland, but it looks like a huge mountain to climb.

18. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Well, for whatever reason, Ukraine plays France better than Italy (last encounter notwithstanding). I think if the same Ukraine that showed up against Italy September will show against France, Les Bleus will require a whole lot of effort

19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i'm sure ukraine will be fully committed to winning their last home game of the group even though they are out of qualifying, i wouldn't expect anything less.

it'll be a tough match for the french for sure.

i'd hate to have to wait four days to see our fate decided in a game that we have no control over. mind you, if we can only draw with the italians at home then i'll be cheering on you guys and keeping everything crossed for a ukraine home win.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Small teams have an easier time with France or Spain than they do with Germany or Italy. Germany and Italy almost always use their full power, while Spain and France measure their power and seem to use just the necessary to beat whoever they have in front each time (which can backfire badly).

Even so, I think a full power France is the best team in the world. So a victory in Ukraine is possible, it will depend on how Les Bleus are feeling psychologically for the match.

Scotland has a tough road but the pressure will be more on Italy, as World Champs. Playing as visitors a game that is vital is never a good thing.

It'd be interesting if both Italy and England miss the Euro finals. The first time without either, too, I think. After today's result, England's situation is poor.

21. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Didn't a fan run onto the pitch during the game? If that'd happened in a British stadium during an official UEFA match, the team in question would've been thrown out and the opposition been awarded the 3 points.

22. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It just happened recently, ref: Celtic vs. Milan and Denmark vs. Sweden.

23. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hmmmm, this sounds like an excuse for losing to Scotland TWICE...;)

24. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No, there was one there today, i guess fraser'll see the funny side.:D

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That was a crock of shit. Nothing went our way yesterday. Our players struggled to dribble or pass the ball on the shoddy pitch. Watching McFadden constantly getting the ball caught in the turf or between his feet was particularly hard to watch. The initial system was poor and we had zero penetration from our wide midfielders or full-backs. Maloney was rank throughout. Unfortunately, on paper, that was the best we could put out considering injuries but how Robson and Teale were left on the bench for the entire game was baffling. Effort wise we were okay but we just never got anything going. Pity we had another tosser of a referee who was determined to give us nothing. Yet another blatant penalty waved away and there were countless tactical fouls and shoves that he completely missed. It only compounded our problems.