George Plimpton

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by GersMan, Sep 26, 2003.

1. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    not specifically soccer although I seem to recall he was a fan of the game.

News of George Plimpton's death reminds me of a lot of hours of great reading as a youngster. The way he would describe his experiences as an amateur thrown in with high-level athletes was quite enjoyable to me.

Later on when I became more interested in writing, I loved reading Paris Review, including back issues with Hemingway, Faulkner sharing insights. Great stuff always.

If you ever get to see the footage of him playing goal for the Boston Bruins against the Broad Street Bullies in an exhibition, it is quite funny.

Rest in Peace, and thank you.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    "Paper Lion". Great stuff. Sad news.

4. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes-very sad day. I used to him see walking along the East River Esplanade from time to time. The interviews in "Paris Review" are worth looking into-tremendous stuff.

Much like Dick Schapp, he had a wonderful balance re: sport/non-sports world. And like Dick, he seemed to have known or met everybody. I saw him speak at the 92nd Street Y-he could just tell story after story. (Perhaps C-Span will reply a lively interview he did recently with Douglas Brinkley.)

Seems like there are a group of writers-Schapp, Plimpton, Mailer, Halberstam, Schulberg-to name a few, who have passsed or are near that age. These are the last of a generation; men of letters who could float in and out of sport. Plimpton and Mailer are great in "When We Were Kings." And of course on "Greatest Sports Legends," he interviewed Pele, if I remember right.

He will be missed.

5. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    ooh, i had forgotten about that show, you are right about Pele.

those writers who could float in and out of sport seem to be a thing of the past. George Will comes to mind but he's not nearly as accomplished a writer.

Not sure if today's public provides much of a market for that kind of thing.