George John to Blackburn: Loan to B'burn? Nope! It's West Ham!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They made a bid.

So sez Ives.

He does have a Greek passport.

2. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Re: George John to Blackburn?

Juergen- get this guy capped ASAP please!!!!

Also, Galaxy getting Keane, and Dallas losing John
    would be a material swing in Galaxy's favor. Before
    those transactions, its a tossup. Now, LA would
    be materially better, and should win (they got materially
    better than Dallas just adding Keane)

4. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree, give the love affair with Tim Ream a rest and get him in for Costa Rica.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder if Dallas will let him go right away. If the price is right I guess..

Also if this goes through, well he will definitely rise up the Greeek Totem pole as well. Not like he is going to choose play for them over the U.S, though.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007

FC Dallas is in a position to make some relative big (for MLS) capital gains with John and Shea.

7. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008

yes, but selling 1 or 2 of them would materially effect their chances to get back to the MLS Cup. What is Dallas in the league for anyway- to make a quick buck or win the Cup? If they get the money from those 2, they will just have to turn around and pay to replace quality just to get back to the level they are now.

I think both moves make more sense in the December window, but I got a feeling they will take the John money now.

8. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seems pretty reliable. Always wanted to see him get a shot with the national team, but I didn't think of him as premiership quality.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Funny, because recently I was thinking how, as a defender in MLS, George John reminded me of Ryan Nelsen and wondering about his chances of following a similar career path.

Now he could be going to Nelsen's club, and I have to wonder if Blackburn is looking at John as his long-term replacement.

10. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

Would be a great move for both John and the MLS IMO. I think John's game also translates well to the EPL style

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Either way you go a move for John would increase his national team chances whether it be for Greece of the US. I hope it's the latter. John is quality and could really be plug in the US backline for years to come provided he continues to mature and round-out his game. moving abroad espcially to the BPL is a step in the right direction. But is he BPL material right now? Tough to say until he gets there. I'm interested to see.

12. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere

Where is the BPL? ;)

13. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008

Skeptical about what Blackburn deems a "considerable" offer

14. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can definitely see Hyndman resisting this, but if the offer is right then they should take it. John would probably leave on a free in 2012 anyway. Hopefully Dallas can reinvest in another CB.

I think John would do well in England, but there would be a learning curve he'd have to deal with initially. It's funny - everyone is worried about what the team will look like if Shea goes to Europe, but I honestly think the departure of John would be a bigger deal for Dallas considering they don't really have any depth at that position. At least if Shea goes you've still got Jackson, Chavez, Castillo who can play on the wing. They'd definitely have to go to the transfer market to find a replacement for John.

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

I wonder how many times over Blackburn would increase the $42K per year that John is on with FC Dallas.

16. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10 to 20 times that amount I would guess. Hard for John to turn that down and hard for Dallas to deny him that sort of chance.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

That's a tough one.

Letting an attacking player like Shea go is one thing.

Letting your rock on defense go is something entirely different. FCD doesn't have a ready-made replacement for George John, should he leave. I guess they'd move Zach Loyd over to centerback........he did play there last year during an injury crisis. They have a homegrown defender named Moises Hernandez, who might get a chance. I saw him at the Dallas Cup against Barcelona, and he was really good. But he's way too "green" to count on.

[And no, the solution isn't putting Shea at centerback. At the beginning of the year we entertained that notion...........but not now.]

What's unusual about John is he kind of has a "neandertal" look to him. People think he's a bit big and oafish compared to say..........Tim Ream. But watch a re-run of the Philly game from last week. [Before he got red-carded.] He was matching players like Danny Mwanga in a foot race over a short distance. He's not as slow as people think he is.

18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

$50,000 offer. But i heard they are going to sign an english youngster in the 9th division for $17,000,000:D;)

19. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010

Agree 100%. I can see Schellas fighting this but I would hope he understands how potentially dangerous that could be. John has shown nothing but class on and off the field but everyone has a breaking point.

Playing better than almost everyone and still being the lowest paid and arguably the worst marketed player in a league is one thing....
    doing that with an understanding that your team/league blocked you from playing in the best league in the world and for big $$ is a whole other ballgame!

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ryan hasn't been the same since his injury a while back. He's still OK, but I'm not so sure it's "long term." I loves me some Ryan Nelsen; check out my favorite clubs. Emotionally, I want him to stay there forever. But if this was a game of Football Manager and not real life, I'd be lining up his replacement with an ETA of Christmas. If Nelsen snaps back to form, then it'll happen next summer.

21. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

22. notredamefan83

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If John wants to go you have to let him go, You dont want this to become a Klejstan situation, where he gets distracted and starts to play poorly.

23. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is tough, because the MLS schedule makes sense in America and competing with the other sports, but it totally sucks for a selling league, which MLS should be.

They should let John go though, it is the humanitarian thing to do, dude is making burger flipper money.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006

Did anyone see Dallas play Pumas?

John impressed the hell out of me with a 30m sprint to win the ball. I don't know if he is quick, but he closed on that ball like EJ's wife on a bumper.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

They either need to let him go, or make him a designated player with matching paycheck.

The problem as any FCD fan knows.............is that they're still fighting for 4 trophies (SS, MLS Cup, USOC, CCL), and have literally nobody on the roster that could come close to filling John's shoes.

Maybe they could lower their asking price, and in exchange work out a deal for John to be on loan in Dallas until the January transfer window. [Or something like that.]

This season has the makings of being the best in FCD's history. This is a franchise that needs the publicity and good results. Letting John go now would be a serious blow to their ambitions.