George Bello at LASK (Austria)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Sep 6, 2018.

1. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I’m pretty unbiased, but I’d say Bello takes MotM over Maloney and Reyna based on minutes.

2. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #127 Ray Shoesmith, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    I’m not sure I watched the same game as some of you guys did.

I’m past being happy about a Yank stepping on the field in Europe and not embarrassing himself. He was OK. Nothing more, nothing less.
    The goal, the only goal in the game, the game they lost, is in no small part on him. That’s a BFD guys. It’s the same type of thinking about our forwards who don’t score or assist. End product matters! Stopping a preventable goal matters, or at least making it much more difficult. He made a bunch of last ditch slide tackles because he read his lanes wrong, his footwork was wrong (pointed out by the announcer multiple times), and he didn’t anticipate passes or moves. He was very reactive on D, and made up for it with his speed. Announcers pointed this out multiple times also. If the forward wasn’t a pretty slow Hazard it would have been worse.
    I’m not trying to bag on the kid. I just don’t get what was being watched by many posters. He is a defender. He has a lot to learn. It’s clear. Here’s hoping he keeps getting time and picks it up quick.
    As others have pointed out, he had a lot of these issues in Atlanta, but could get away with a lot more there. Not gonna happen here, and he will be attacked a lot moving forward after watching this.
    His speed, aggression and confidence is great to see. Clearly not overawed, but a lot to work on.
    I didn’t pay attention to the last half hour that much so maybe he got a lot stronger, but that first 55-60 showed flaws which will be attacked moving forward.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I think we're having a different conversation if that penalty would have went against him. He just recklessly pushed the guy in the back.

And his defensive anticipation is just not there. He's sometimes using his recovery speed to effect, but he's half solving problems he part caused.

Also on offense he can't make his mind up quickly enough much of the time + he had a few donk touches to erode attacks.

So I also don't have as rosy of a view of his performance(s) as many others. I think he's a beneficiary of low expectations. Because he's getting some minutes and not totally bombing that means he's playing well. There's a gap to that reality atm.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  4. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    He also made a real poor pass on the best odd number break in half one.
    If AB wants to stay up players can’t do that. He was unpressured and had a lot of time yet screwed it up. A pretty simple pass that would have had AB 2 v 1 at the top of the box. Sorry guys but that is a big missed opp. Coaches aren’t just looking for hustlers, they want guys who can prevent bad moments, and take ad of really good ones. In half one he gave a poor one up and BD scored, and later in half one a simple pass gives an opp for a real clear chance.
    I know coaches who score that a minus 2 for that player. The slide tackles were of his making so they aren’t a positive. Also, this is a relegation battle! Those are big plays that have major consequences.

We need to start thinking differently.

AB isn’t deep and they paid a few bucks for him. He is young and will get chances, but he needs to improve on those basic things quick, or B2/relegation fodder is his future. No, that is not harsh. He simply needs to show he can learn.

5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I posted the previous post before I read this but you nailed it right here.

We have to start thinking differently. Good luck to the kid. I’ll be watching and rooting hard, but I ain’t making stuff up.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    But that's what he is. Unlike others players sold from MLS, he never dominated there. Not even in a short run like Pepi or Paredes. He might have been average MLS LB, or not. Not even Vines or Lovitz level. He's been purchased by the team that might make playoffs in MLS, but wouldn't go deep. BL struggler that will go down either this season or next. I, personally, don't expect him start improving all of a sudden.

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't really need to think one way or another. What matters is that the players want to get better and don't take it for granted. We can live in happy fantasy land if we want and it will have no effect.

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Then no, you did not watch the same game. It's a 90 minute game and he was good during the final 30. Good enough, in my opinion, to deserve some praise.

Ray Shoesmith and dark knight repped this.
  9. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    He just turned 20 years old 2 months ago.

He rose up in the US system.

Your expectations need to be calibrated down for that.

10. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Well, I am honest. I did say I didn’t watch the last 30. Glad he got better.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  11. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Don’t turn this into a Sargent like delusion.

He was weak in many aspects. To many for B1 team. They were not hard to see, explained, and easy to comprehend if you want to.
    Announcers were all over them also, so it wasn’t just me. I am always pragmatic about new players, expectations and experience and my posts generally show this. In this instance, for me, this has New Yank uber enthusiasm written all over it. I responded to folks who thought he did real well, when it’s clear and obvious he didn’t in the first 60 minutes or so. All I said was that he will need to clean those things up quick, as many of the issues are fairly basic. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. Glad he was better over the last 30, and I hope he keeps getting minutes, learns and produces. Ignoring big issues do to newness and emotional attachment doesn’t get a person far however. Can’t do that.

12. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was going to say the same on the translation. @mace grätscht it away from me :D

mace, BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Bello started out a bit shaky but definitely improved as the game went along. All in all a pretty good debut start IMO.... especially in the 2nd half. I still share some of the same concerns others have posted about him... namely him relying on his recovery speed a bit too much on D and not processing the game fast enough on O. But he deserves kudos for holding his own against one of the best teams in the BL.

Winoman repped this.
  14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Wow, nice zinger :thumbsup:

Shocker that he is not the complete item within a month. Shocker!

Kicker ranked him middle of the pack for the entire team...... so there!

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think Bello's big issue so far has just been lapses in concentration defensively (at least from what ive seen with the Nats and so far in Germany) nothing the more intense training and environment shouldn't help with.

I'll admit to being one who has been down on him due to performances with the Yanks, but he clearly has the athleticism to hang

17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    His performances with the Yanks have been exceptional defensively for a person his age.

He is well ahead of the curve.

Seeing him in person in LA…he was easily the US’ best player in the first half.

18. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Like I said he just seems to lose concentration and gets caught ball watching from time to time. He should grow out of that. I'm not gonna shun him for the Panama game or the Honduras first half (where everybody was bad) but my point was this should help him especially since it's looking likely the team stays up

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On SportsCenter, GB mentioned Bello, Vines, and Moore as potential replacements for Dest.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bello was called up to replace Dest today.

Winoman repped this.
  21. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Congrats Bello

22. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team: