George Bello at LASK (Austria)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Sep 6, 2018.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he though? For me, based on the eye test, I’d say no.

2. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Not long ago Bello was getting hyped up because his athleticism made him look decent in MLS. Now players like Wiley and Cowell are getting hyped for their athleticism making them look decent in MLS, until they also get exposed in Europe, then thrown away by the fanbase. Rinse and repeat.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bello had some hype early based on his time as a 15 or 16 year old. Whatever hype was gone long before he left for Europe.

Bello had some good games when he first came up to Atlanta's first team. But he stagnated pretty quickly. I don't think people thought he was a star when he left. He wasn't really looking great in MLS.

Atlanta United can be hard negotiators but they didn't even haggle much for Bello. A $2 million price indicates they were just trying to unload him.

Bello is actually still eligible for the U.S. U-23 team next year and I don't think anyone is considering him an option.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Getting relegated twice in a row is not common. I consider it a rare achievement, not as rare as going as an unused healthy #10 in a World Cup (Mix) or going 90 in a competitive international game without a single shot, not on goal, not blocked, not on target, not deflected (vs. Argentina in Copa Centenario), but still noteworthy enough.

Up there with becoming a garbage minutes sub when you wear the #10 and cost 70 million bucks, though.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Bello subs in at the 73rd minute, like-for-like with Oczipka. They were already down 3-0 in this first leg before he came on...

Winoman repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the Arminia players had to go over to talk their ultras out of tearing down a gate to get on the field.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This season is ending like a nightmare.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #284 Ray Shoesmith, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    I‘ll never forget before playing Panama, when I had enough of posting here for a long while, some clown on the US board was saying how Andrade (the guy who could make Danny Cone Califf look like a gazelle) was much better than any US center back.
    Why? I think we were starting MLS backs and Andrade was in the Bliga. Admitted he never watched the guy. Went on and on. No one called that a**hole out. That‘s why I can be a d**k here. I didn‘t sign on and actually regret it.

Well, he and Bello are heading to the right level. I apologize for those who will be offended.

10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Bello gets the start today as, after playing poorly and having their traveling fans disgrace themselves in a 4-0 road leg loss, Arminia Bielefeld return home seeking a miracle to avoid 3.Bundesliga play next year. High percentage chance it's Bello's last match for the team with or without a miracle. Against Wehen Wiesbaden.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They scored early but it's still 1-0 after 30'.

Bello may be a good fit in the 3.Liga.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Playing on the left, got a yellow, Wehen scored 2 (not Bello's fault) and they're losing 1-2 at the end of the first half. It's over.

Winoman repped this.
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It finished 2-1 to the opposition, so Bielefeld lost their playoff 6:1 on aggregate.

The higher-division side very rarely loses the playoff, so this is an absolute humiliation for them.

adam tash repped this.
  14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's a mental aspect of the game that (most) American players seem totally unaware of or at least find very difficult to access....I think it is cultural...but cant be sure.

OTOH, nowadays, with the emphasis on positional play and discouraging players to take liberties and express themselves....it's no wonder that many promising players dont seem to grow much or develop any personality whatsoever on the field.

15. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    This was not a great move

adam tash repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harsh but fair.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor of interest from Swansea and Watford:

He announced today he is leaving:

18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    abw repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats why picking their destination is uber important....go to a club that develops players not simply the highest bidder.

in theory, going to europe is to accelerate development and improve...not merely to face a harder test.

i disagree with anyone who thinks a player's level is static and unchangeable.

Winoman repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disagree. (international) career suicide.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If he's got interest from the Championship, i'd reckon he should head there rather than return to MLS then again I mean he's still quite young.

adam tash repped this.
  23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he doesn’t find a place to play and soon, he’s already six feet under. He might be able to resurrect enough to become a fringe MLS-heavy option / alternative to the A team if he comes home.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m confused.

In the USMNT forum you go on and on about too many MLSers playing for the Nats. Those comments seem to me to contradict what you’re saying here, that coming back to MLS would be suicide for his international career.

DC United badly needs a left back.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he might be signing in Austria: