George Bello at LASK (Austria)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Sep 6, 2018.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Still, not likely to achieve that rare accomplishment, the Double Relegation.

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    upload_2023-4-29_10-9-55.png

Subs on late as they chase an equalizer and lose 2-1. Simultaneously Hansa Rostock won to leapfrog them - Bielefeld in the relegation playoff spot.

BostonRed repped this.
  4. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Gone are the good old days (last year), when Bello could blatantly cost his team points with dumb errors, look out of his depth, and still get praiseworthy, looking good to OK here from some. Classic US goggles/evaluation.

I said the would probably struggle in B2, he would struggle to start, and get time, but even I admit that this level of incompetence was not expected. For a team like AB to spend a few mill on a player and just discard him says a lot about Bello.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench for the season finale:

They currently sit in the relegation playoff spot.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not looking good as they are down 4-0 in the 73rd.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Going for the playoff against Wiesbaden. If they lose, Bello unlocks the "Two In a Row" achievement.

Zinkoff repped this.
  10. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    You love yank relegation.

superdave repped this.
  11. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    He probably is good enough for D3 to get time.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Someone has to counter all those actively promoting delusion.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no they don’t

twoolley repped this.
  14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this most recent wave of yank transfers was headscratching - some of the moves - bello to bielefeld, pepi to augsburg, sands loan to rangers, busio to venezia, bassett loan to feyenoord

a lot of these moves made little sense at the time and it's no wonder they didn't work out

need to stop doing loan to buys....just gives the club an excuse to not develop you and invest in the player

also need to choose clubs wisely

look at how much differently pepi's career looks in eredivise vs augsburg....that's not about ability ...its about club selection.

I get it that you want to go for the highest price and some of these options may have been the only game in town.....but look at how far some of these players have fallen simply by choosing the wrong teams to go to.....

PICK WISELY, YOUNG YANKS!

Zinkoff, Suyuntuy and HScoach13 repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of points.

1. Those of us who watch MLS found many if not most of those moves strange, because the players weren’t that good. Point being, even clubs in Yurp do stupid shift all the time.
    2. I wonder if American MLSers go to a certain pool of agents, and that pool understands European clubs poorly. I think it was Arsene Wenger who said the most important thing for a player’s career isn’t technique or speed or any of that, it’s being smart in choosing your clubs. The rest will sort itself out if a player is in a good situation. It does seem to me that MLSers have made a number of bad moves the last 5 years or so.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he went to the wrong club and is paying for it....no need to crucify him...he;s still very young

17. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    To a degree, this is true in any job choice. You do better when you pick the right company or industry.

The problem is knowing the better choice ex ante. Post hoc analysis is much easier.

I know people who have done statistical analysis in soccer for clubs at a pro level in Europe. I've never heard of them conditioning based on the player's agent. I wonder if some agents are just better at picking clubs? It's an interesting question.

superdave repped this.
  18. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Just a refresher. Many questioned Bello and his ability before the move. Not just here.

I don‘t comment strongly unless I have watched a player quite a bit. After his B1 season I said he would not be a sure fire B2 starter and could struggle for minutes. I watched him a few times this year and it was painful.
    I know their were posters who questioned his DM and positioning before the move. Many didn‘t think he had a high soccer acumen. Guess what? He doesn‘t.
    He was bought on some hype and potential and he is a bust. He isn‘t that good. He just isn‘t. Switch as many companies as you want, it won‘t matter much.
    Would he thrive in todays MLS. Not sure he would. If the Joe Gyau‘s and Caleb Stanko‘s of the world can‘t anymore it‘s highly doubtful he will.

Quite honestly, when you look at the mentality and footballing IQ of many of the young players we are producing Bello is just fodder at this point IMO. Next.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this isn't hindsight at all...i couldve told you the same at the time of the moves - I thought sands to rangers was beneath him.....but as a loan to buy...that was just insane

Hoppe's agent is also a bit daft as well

there are posters on this board who are MUCH MUCH better at picking clubs than some of these players' agents....and it matters a lot

it isnt statistics, either

americans across the board seem very poor at picking clubs in europe imo...look at leeds wtf

americans have very poor knowledge of europe generally as well

I've lived in europe for 6 years total in my life, approx and therefore I feel like I know a bit better than some rando 19 year old thinking about going to europe to play soccer - some of them are clueless and some agents have no idea either....but what are they going to do? turn down a fat paycheck? yeah right

20. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #270 Ray Shoesmith, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
    As a side note we should be happy that we don‘t have to desperately excuse and make scenarios up for players like this anymore. There will be others and they will just be able to perform.

One of the great hopes was that Bello was a left back. The dreaded, desperate left back position we all yearned for someone, anyone to show anything.

Guess what? Wiley is simply a much better player now.
    Tolkin is a much better player now.
    Gomez may not have the speed but he plays the position so much better than Bello ever has, and is technically so much better.
    Scally and Dest can do the job there if necessary.
    Bello‘s window is pretty much closed.
    Hell, Sam Vines at Antwerp is much better than him overall, or was before horror injury.

Bello is what he is, and it will take a dramatic change to get him back in the picture. Can it happen? Sure, but long shots, especially ones with real issues, aren‘t my thing.

Hell, there are few MLS left backs who I would take over what I have seen of Bello and not think twice at this point.

It‘s OK to accept that guys won‘t come good or don‘t have it. It happens all of the time. Bello‘s issues are not small. In hindsight they never have been and kudos to those few who were all over that.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Deluded fans are a cancer. They cause players to believe their hype, and as a result, they fail to see the trap these loans and transfers are. Confident that so many other Yanks are "tearing it" (a lie), they take the plunge and waste crucial development years on a bench or worse.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link for that? If so, I’d love to read it. I wonder how the writer will explain why players don’t believe their agents, or their coaches, or their teammates, or the staff from the clubs trying to buy them, or even the media, but instead believe fans.

There's a difference between fans who overhype our players, and fans who underhype our players. The former like for other people to be happy. The latter like for other people to be unhappy.

UniversalAdvice and abw repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Maybe both just telling what they really think?

24. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Not allowed. Maybe I am having a social issue of some kind many Yanks can‘t seem get beyond?

I mean I only grew up in one of the most liberal countries in the world (Germany if you are stuck in the 1940‘s), so maybe some Yanks can tell me how insensitive I am being? Bello is what he is. That ain‘t changing. It‘s blatantly obvious if you have watched him a lot. I have. Most Germans will agree with me. He isn‘t good at football. Sorry.

Apologize for the hurt feelings.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretending to be objective...nice try

bello was a 19 year old standout in MLS...*checks notes* ...two years ago...the league hasnt changed since then ....

He is currently 21 years old.....and will be for the next 8 months!

that's, for example 3 years younger than Clint Dempsey was when he transferred to Europe fwiw

Bello's problem is that he is at a club that is not developing him.....he picked the wrong club to go to

Bieliefeld is struggling to survive...obviously have bigger probelms than what happens with bello

does bello need to get better ? will he do so without changing clubs? probably not

he should follow pepi's lead

same with haji wright - everyone wrote him off when he struggled in germany

wayyyyyy to early to close the book on bello