Georg Heitz Career Deathwatch

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fighting Illini, Dec 20, 2019.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Which year were you talking about?

xtomx and Fanaddict repped this.
  2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He will "shake up the f'n soccer world, boys" at the 2022 MLS 'super' draft.

3. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he Bob Cratchet?

4. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    On paper the signings have been underwhelming.

If this team doesn’t qualify for the playoffs this season, it’s time for Georg to go. That’s the minimum level of success; over half of the league’s teams qualify for it. Not making it is nonnegotiable.

goldclover repped this.
  5. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does Heitz repeatedly fail to have a competent roster ready for opening day?

Could this just be a European mindset that you plug holes in the winter window and do your real building in the summer window? Not like he's succeeded at either, but just trying to understand his repeated inability at roster building for MLS.

goldclover, moleman and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  6. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    We sold our best player during the summer last year.

Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.
  7. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Most consistent one, too.

xtomx repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are we getting happy with Georg these days?

Still concerned about his MLS player evaluation, but his imports have been good this year.

GHjelm repped this.
  9. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Back to the top with this.

I want to understand Mansueto's obsession with the Swiss because I just don't see it.

This team should not be this bad with the time and resources Heitz had at his disposal, yet here we are.

10. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Mansueto is just trusting who he hired.
    Whether or not that trust is warranted, that's what's in question. But at some point, Reinsdorf fired Krause. Let's just hope Mansueto can see the signs early enough.

bunge repped this.
  11. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I would not expect Heitz to go, but perhaps shift roles so someone can focus on the US while he focuses on Europe.

Jiggly_333, xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  12. Jake Roberts

Jake Roberts Member

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 7, 2018
    Last night's game isn't on Heitz. The players need some accountability. That was their loss. This team, on paper, should be good. Just like the 2019 team. The 2017 team wasn't that great on paper but somehow won all those games. I don't get it, but it's just frustrating.

Fuegofan and xtomx repped this.
  13. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans love to defend their players. The fire players on a whole are not good enough and that falls on the guy picking them Heitz. Our 3 strikers przybylko, duran and offor just do not score enough. The guys feeding them have to do a better job or we need to get players that can.

Old Man! and xtomx repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is top to bottom.

Heitz has signed some good players, some bad and whole lot of players with a bit of potential but not up to snuff yet.

He then dumped our top 6 scorers from 2021, without adequate replacement.

Ezra seems to have no game plan, continues to play people out of position, seems to have virtually no interest in attacking football, but has yet to have his full squad.

The players lack focus and cohesiveness. That is on both the players and Ezra.

Some lack talent.
    Some have talent but are not playing to that talent (Kascper, Shiqiri, probably Ivanov).
    Some have potential, but that's it.

Old Man! repped this.
  15. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but Heitz signed the players and it's not like these guys usually play much better and just gave up a flukey loss-this is who the Fire are under Heitz.

Alex Calabrese lays it out beautifully in his HTIOT article. By spending so much on transfer fees ($35 million during his tenure, whereas Nelson spent $7 million) and giving huge contracts to capable, but not brilliant players like Sekulic ($600,000), he limits his ability to correct mistakes when guys don't live up to expectations. Roster holes end up needing to be plugged with developmental players, because he has no money left to work with. This is exacerbated by his reluctance to scout or sign MLS players, instead focusing abroad. All in all, Heitz has to go. The guy is not a good MLS sporting director.

CMeszt and xtomx repped this.
  16. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I agree 100%.

17. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Other then implying Sekulic has not lived up to his worth...I agree. To me he is one of the few that has been steady and good though not great.

CMeszt and xtomx repped this.
  18. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Over the past two seasons, yes. This season though, it's been rough.

19. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite last game's 2 defensive errors you can't complain too much about the fire's defense, it is the offense that is the problem.

20. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now we find out that Heitz gave Shaqiri the highest guaranteed compensation in the league and highest base salary (8.15 million/7.35 million). When will Joe tire of Georg wasting his money?

I'm not saying Shaqiri is a bad player, but in a salary cap league, the name of the game is value. Is the highest salary in MLS worth 2 goals in 9 starts and 2 wins in 11 games?

Don't forget that the Fire paid more for Shaqiri's transfer fee than Lyon had paid Liverpool. Was that really necessary to secure a player who Lyon didn't even want to use? How shrewd is Heitz?

skinut repped this.
  21. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I’ve got to say, Shaqiri is the least of my worries with this team.

Mac97 and skinut repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am not going to give up on the Shaqiri signing yet. He has the ability to lift the team like few players in the league could do.
    That being said, it is very clear that he needs to be surrounded with players who approach his skill level and he simply does not have that here.
    He could succeed in his time at Liverpool as he could do his thing and the defense had to focus on other players.
    Here, stop Shaqiri and stop the Fire.

Was he worth what we paid for him? Probably not.
    I would have preferred us to sign a free agent and use the transfer fee for salaries. However, the only practical way to sign Shaqiri was to pay a transfer fee.

As for 2 goals in 9 games, that is par for his career. He has never been a double digit goal scorer.

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  23. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 Old Man!, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
    I'll never say Shaqiri's bad. He's a good player (albeit underperforming) who makes the Fire better than they were in 2021. My problem with Heitz is that the way he has constructed this team, he's overpaying for Shaqiri, overpaying for Sekulic etc., and that means he doesn't have the funds left to surround these capable players with anyone else. It's the opportunity cost of locking so much budget space into these players. Could we have gotten similar or better results with Mihailovic (751,875k) and Fagundez (450k)?

The Fire spent 9.92% of their roster budget on forwards...the second lowest amount allocated to that position in the league. Comparatively they spent 67.22% of their budget on midfielders (mostly Shaqiri). If I'm building a team, how do I neglect one critical position group so heavily? The Fire being unable to score is near obvious from this perspective--that's unavoidably on Heitz.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  24. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Shaqiri, and then Kasper, haven't had the skill sets around them to put their skill sets to work. Shaqiri didn't have Shaqiri level guys around him when he was at Stoke City, but he he had better than Ivanov (who I had hoped would take the next step in his career- oh well) and Herbers (again, clearly almost good enough to be impressive) around him. When Kasper was signed it was widely pointed out that he is a finisher in need of service.
    A coupla games with Kasper, Shaqiri, Torres and Mueller and we'll see what kind of offense we have.

Then get depth and more depth.

All that said, I'm good with moving Georg to head of European Operations.

xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  25. Senor Velasco

Senor Velasco Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Then, with NRod gone, we can poach Garth from Seattle..

bunge and Mac97 repped this.