Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Wonder how he might have done in Serie A or the Bundesliga once Stoke got relegated

2. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought he should have called it a career then, with all those head injuries he was having.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With Lichaj, Holmes, Miazga & Robinson out injured, CCV not good, and Ream losing steam, ol' Geoff is our best player in the Ch'ship of late.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's happening to ream/

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Two weak games in a row. :(

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he's 35 in a few months. hope he's saved for retirement

10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's made plenty. 8 years in England at $500-$700k+/year will set you up nicely.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Likely more then that I’d say for most of it.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    probably a million a year during his last year or 2 at Stoke

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think he's probs made more than that, but realistically, it's very, very difficult to retire on that kind of money with pro-footie tastes in your early 30's unless you've made a lot of smart investments.

Cameron seems pretty smart, but I expect he's going to end up in a booth someplace or coaching. Or as a hair stylist with a fade shop on Sloane Street.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    $500-600k a season before tax or after? 600k Sterling is the average for the Championship. Last year, the average EPL salary broke 3 million a year for the first time. Geoff wouldn't have been in that league, obviously, but he would have trousered at least a million a season while Stoke were in the EPL and close to that while on loan from Stoke last season.

Let's say he got upper-Championship pay of 700k for the first two seasons and then a pay rise to 1.2 million when his contract was extended, a relegation-clause pay cut to 900k last season and 600k this season. That's 5.5 million gross over eight years. Minus 35% tax and 10% for his agent, he still has about 3 million sterling in his pocket. That doesn't take bonuses, etc into account, nor does it factor in his versatility: even at his peak he could play CB, RB and DM equally well in the EPL and could fill in at deep CM as well. That kind of flexibility is worth a lot to any GM and, while it doesn't always lead to higher pay, it does make your agent's hand a lot stronger when negotiating.

15. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    For a large part of that time he was also getting a stipend/paycheck/money from the USMNT that was not insignificant.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3891 The Irish Rover, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    IIRC, 5$ per callup and $3k per win. He won more than 45 of his 55 caps since moving to England. Eight games a season, with 4 wins (a lot the of CONCAF minnows in there) and you're talking in the region of the average annual paycheck.

And, at least while he was on loan last season, QPR would have paid the rent on his apartment or hotel and a meal allowance for dinner. If he was in a hotel, breakfast would be in the price and he would get lunch at the club training ground. Plus, if he bought a house in the UK, he'll have accumulated capital gains on it (though the virus may well affect that in the near term). Ditto for any property he'd acquired in the US before or since joining Stoke, and he'd have been able to rent those properties out to cover the mortgage payments.

I remember some agents in a BBC radio discussion about 10 years back. They agreed that, unless a player has a gambling problem, has outright dishonest financial advisors or gets divorced, even five seasons in the EPL or at the top end of the Championship is enough for him to retire with an annual income of more than triple the UK's median income. His biggest problem would be what to do with his time. That was 10 years ago.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think GC has made enough that he could pull in much more than 3x the median Brit income, but the median Brit income is like ~30k lbs a year. I bet there's many top-end Championship players out there who won't find it a challenge to scale down to 90k a year @ 35 years old. The lifestyle you enjoy as an upper-level Championship, B2, Serie B player is very hard to replicate for ~100k a year with family. Not impossible, of course, and hard to feel sorry for them, but...

On the other hand, I'm sure GC has made way more than a typical Champs player and don't doubt he can do a bit better than that, but I still think he'll find it necessary to do a bit of clip n' snip as a side hustle. Or tats. I bet he could ink an arm or two by now.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was typing in a bit of a hurry, so I forgot to put in the "gross" and "after tax" parts, as in "triple the UK's gross median income, after tax", which, obviously, makes a big difference. IIRC the UK median is in the region of 27k sterling, with tax eating about a quarter of that. A player with Geoff's profile who has been reasonably careful with his money could have about 70k sterling a year to live on, cash. That's about the same as e.g. a hospital registrar would take home.

freisland repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would bet with added income from appearances, USMNT, endorsements etc. he should have much more than that... and my guess is he's a pretty reasonably appropriate guy.

The issue is always we have a strong ability to adapt to anything, especially on the "cushy living" side... It's amazing what folks can get used to and think they can't live without after they've had it a while...

My guess is GC (and most guys used to living an EPL lifestyle) would have trouble living on 70k lbs a year, after tax, but also that he'll be able to kick off more than that from what he's earned. And I'll bet that he ends up doing something else that pays him a bit on top anyway. I imagine it's hard for most guys who have worked as hard as a pro athlete has since they were in their teens to suddenly go sit on the pier 8 hrs a day, but maybe some can.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is he likely to extend his contract with them or will he grab a shock move to play in China?

21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Trump supporting Geoff Cameron will not play in China.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm gonna (not) go out on a limb here and say that he's more likely to go to MLS than retire, and way more likely to retire than go to China.

The guy is 35 in July and, with Coronavirus ravaging lower-division finances, any extension offered would be for only a season and is likely to come with a pay cut, while MLS could offer 18-24 months*. Meantime, the Chinese will have shedloads of lot of (much better) out-of-contract players to pick from. Unless he wants to stay in England & move into coaching there, this is as good a time as any to come home

VBCity72 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Isn't he persona non grata with MLS?

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC