Gennaro Nigro at AS Roma

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.footballscouting.it/notizie/roma-gennaro-nigro-nella-storia-ecco-il-motivo/

I think he just joined? He's an '00 and the site says that he's the first American at the club. This translation is a little confusing and I'm not well-versed with the Italian system. I think it says he's going to the Primavera? Can anyone fill me in on whether that is a youth league in Italy?

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8414317/Gennaro-Nigro

Highlights

http://plda.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1655805&player=61539849

DA Page

https://twitter.com/gmnigro06
    Here's his Twitter. Nothing I can really glean from it but he may tweet something.

2. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First American at Roma? Uhhh am I missing something?

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Sounds like he was already in their youth system and was just promoted to the Primavera squad, which is the highest youth level and just below the first team.

Here's what the article states:

Gennaro Nigro has made history at Roma. The Giallorossi midfielder, born in 2000, was promoted to the Primavera team and will be the first American in the club’s history.

He is a young midfielder capable of being a difference maker. Roma has confidence in him, and that will continue. Meanwhile, Nigro is writing a small part of Giallorossi history in stars and stripes. For a winning future together.​

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  4. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm not sure what's up with that

5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    They're pretending they've never heard of Bradley after his performance against T&T?

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That website is...umm, sketchy at best.

7. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was headed to Cornell as part of their 2018 class:

http://cornellbigred.com/news/2018/5/3/mens-soccer-announces-incoming-class.aspx

Gennaro Nigro – CM
    Arthur L Johnson HS/PDA

Smith on Nigro: Gennaro is undoubtedly one of the most versatile soccer players we have ever come across. He is equally gifted in both feet, and could slot in and excel in any of the back 8 positions. He has superb feet, and he combines this with a great engine which definitely puts him into the category of a box-to-box midfielder. Gennaro can score and create goals, and he combines this with a great drive and work ethic which he puts to incredible use on defense.

TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yes. It's stating that he's the first American to play for their Primavera team.

chad, Pl@ymaker, UniversalAdvice and 3 others repped this.
  10. Fgzb

Fgzb New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I’m a roma fan so ill go ahead and try and clear up some of this:

Primavera is a direct translation of spring, he’ll be playing for our youth squad in serie b/c or u21s (along with uefa youth cl) depending on the ruling of a possible figc rule change coming up.

We just signed him, he was trained in america.

He’s officially our second american signing and unofficially our third after we signed cupini last fall (ale is ten years old).

The chances of him getting playtime for the senior team are 0 this year and he’ll likely be loaned out next year and the year after that before hes even considered for any minutes—the players in his role for the senior team are daniele de rossi and kevin strootman and it takes a lot of natural talent for a teenager to be useful in a deep cl run.His only development path at roma will be as a defensive midfielder, with his current abilities and our senior and youth lineups this is the only way this makes sense atm. With cristante and pellegrini we have italy’s midfield for the next decade. Pellegrini’s roman he wont be leaving. Nigros best shot with us is to develop into a potential replacement for ddr.

He probably wont have too poor of a time here—we have great youth coaches to help him learn (daniele de rossi’s dad, alberto, will be his head coach in primavera) and michael bradley set the bar incredibly low so there is 0 pressure on him to succeed as an american. With all that said im not too hopeful but i wish him the best. Cupini’s our real big american signing. We moved that kids entire family to roma and even gave some of them jobs in the club to sweeten the deal.

ps: best to not mention bradley. We made a profit on him and he’s still our second worst signing of the millenium behind adriano (granted it could be argued that iturbe comes a close third because of his price tag)

11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure Cupini is signed to Roma? On his instagram, he seems to be playing for a Kansas City club called Fusion and has been in KC a lot the past year. I could obviously be wrong but..

TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that blog post upthread:

{Editor’s note: You may remember the nine-year-old from Missouri, Alessandro Cupini, being signed last October, but that still hasn’t been verified. Probably because he’s, you know, nine!}

14. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Damn, all these gratuitous shots at Bradley. I don't recall him being "worst transfer of the century" levels of bad. I don't remember any of this negativity surrounding him while he was there.

Sandon Mibut, Gacm32, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The same transfer season Roma bought Bradley, they acquired Balzaretti, an older player who was also already in Serie A, for more money. Balzaretti went on to play roughly the same number of games for them as did Bradley, but over an additional season. Then Balzaretti retired, while MLS paid Roma big money to acquire Bradley. All of this has lots to do with Genarro Nigro. Good luck to the lad.

adam tash, Gacm32, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ... whose name I should've spelled correctly. Good luck, Gennaro.

Winoman repped this.
  17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    worried about the kids vision

19. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, came on as a sub for Javier Pastore. It was a friendly against Serie B club Benevento.

21. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Roma (4-3-3): Fuzato; Karsdorp (65′ Bucri), Juan Jesus, Marcano, Santon: Pastore (81′ Nigro), Fazio, Coric; D’Orazio (45′ Pezzella), Celar (47′ Cangiano), El Shaarawy.

He was one of only four subs used. Anyone know how close to a first team this is? I know nothing about Roma

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  23. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Fazio and Pastore are starters. Juan and El Shaarway are major role players. Marcano is new but probably also a major role player, same with Santon. Fuzato is the backup keeper.

Other than that?
    Karsdrop's started a game this year but barely features normally so who knows. Coric is on the first team list but hasn't played yet; he was just bought from Zagreb so who knows. D'Orazio, Celar, Cangiano, Nigro, Bucri and Pezzella are not.

24. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I love when unexpected players suddenly get playing time like this. Balances things out after coming from a thread like Keaton Parks.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If he makes it to the first team I already have some good punny ideas for thread titles.

Winoman repped this.