Generic media/team DC United coverage thread (this stuff doesn't deserve it's own thread)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I really feel for the guy -- his knee literally exploded on contact with Hamid. I remember that game and how surprised I was that he got back up and thought he could still play. That meniscus issue is long term bad. A meniscus is very hard to repair because of poor blood flow to the tissue. The only time repair is even tried is with young people and athletes. I'm an old far and when I tore mine -- good for me it was tearing a piece of paper -- the torn part was simply cut away. The meniscus is the cushion in your knee, when that goes, your going for knee replacement surgery.

4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1143911815597961216 is not a valid tweet id

And guess who happens to be in the market for a sponsor next season.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  5. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    [cough] a Guinness logo would look great on, oh I dunno, a black shirt [cough]

dadman, Theopisa and Winoman repped this.
  6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I bet they were thinking the same last October.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get your point.
    I'm just relaying info.

8. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From how he says it, he's still very unsure about timing, and certainly gives the impression he thought it would heve been easier. Maybe he didn't think that for an injury incurred in September he still wouldn't see the pitch in the following June.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good bourbon (with a black label) would make an excellent shirt sponsor. Much better than a defense contractor or "multi-level-marketing company".

A big ol' marijuana company logo would be even better, but I may have to wait a couple years :cool:

Adler, you just know the FO would ******** up and pass over Guinness for all that Budweiser money :speechless:

Winoman repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Budweiser is losing market share to craft breweries. Let's hear it for a conglomeration of local breweries who brew the real thing.

Adler, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If there is any doubt as to who would be picked if it came down to this choice, I only have to mention 3 letters, F L O.

12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I can live with a defense contractor as a sponsor, although I've always questioned what the level of value DCU sponsorship returned them. Don't give an F for Advocare or Herbalife and could care less which piss water beer sponsor they might pick up. The alcohol options have been decent if not pricey. I really just hope its not a Gulf airline. Holding out for Amazon, Rakuten or someone who will really misuse my personal data for marketing efforts.

dadman, sitruc, John L and 2 others repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I can't remember if buy.com had been bought by the Japanese company when all of my information was stolen. ******** Rakuten.

14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I understand it's the MD division of a Japanese company owned by Canadian investors that is becoming the sponsor. :p

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** Canada.

16. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    I was just on a Caribbean cruise. While onboard, the crappy beer cost $6.25 each. The real beer, including Florida microbrews, cost $6.50 each. I told some guy standing next to me in line that for another 25-cents, we can buy real beer. He said nothing.

In fairness to Bud, they have been putting out some limited edition brews for which they actually advertise using words like "hops", "malt", and "hints of caramel" instead of "carbs", "calories", and "but with all the flavor" . . .

Winoman repped this.
  17. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May already be posted somewhere, but I saw these indicators of DC United near the Wharf DC area.

In one way, it makes sense as it is in the same quadrant of the city and along Maine Avenue where a lot of traffic goes by in the general direction of the stadium. On the other hand, if I did not already know that Audi Field was a stadium that recently opened, I might think that the Phase II of the SW waterfront was related to this.

The exterior art at the pub is about the only item where if you did not already know the team, you might get the idea that DC United was a professional soccer team. Otherwise, you might think Unite DC is some social program (in my opinion).

20190725_165907.jpg 20190725_165916.jpg 20190725_170455.jpg 20190725_165559.jpg 20190725_165847.jpg

Winoman repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I just now remembered that I may have a few of those tarps that were on fences around the stadium construction site in my garage.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Winoman repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the news scroll on channel 7 this morning kept running:

Wayne Rooney announces he's leaving DC United

I expected this site to be a shitshow, but crickets - is channel 7 (not unusually) full of shit and making stuff up?

21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I'm pretty sure thats in response to the an article in the Sun saying he was interviewed and was done after his contract, bc the wife was leaning on him to raise the kids back home.

And goddam, I am embarrassed for DCU having our gear worn in that shit ass commercial.

22. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #873 pats1237, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  23. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney is the guy who spends his last months on the job obtaining certificates/continuing education and then puts his two week notice in once he is more marketable to other companies.

sitruc, Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  24. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...and-after-this-season/?utm_term=.5f5d8381d808

Post has sources close to the team now saying they've been in negotiations with Derby County. Could leave at the end of this year or next season (this year sounds more likely). He wants to stay but the move is being driven by family concerns. Also Kamara is his replacement so ha to all of us that thought the team was making a proactive move to improve.

sitruc and Eastern Bear repped this.