General Manchester City Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by StuMCFC, May 3, 2012.

1. Respekt

Respekt Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    Well, the long wait for some movement has allowed for Hazard and Modric to slip away while Javi Martinez looks destined to end up at either Barca/Bayern.

Who are City targeting now that can realistically improve the team? Apart from van Persie that is.

2. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think we're after Modric anyway, Hazard we did lose out on. Martinez is interesting, Barca and Bayern refuse to pay his buy-out clause. Not so long ago we would have swooped in and paid it but we're being a lot more financially prudent nowadays.

Other than van Persie I really don't know who our targets are, we're linked with so many players but only van Persie definitely has any legs right now. Matias Rodriguez is still on our radar I think, he would be a cheap squad signing who could add depth and link up with our other Argies. Nir Biton is with the club now for the Austria tour but when we actually sign him we could have work permit problems.

I think we might find out more soon. Our only money spent on a senior player in all of 2012 so far has been £3million to make Pantilimon's deal permanent. We seem to have been focusing more on youth/academy talent recently with some very exciting signings like Pozo, Lopes, Almeida, and Bossaerts... highly rated teens from around the world.

Respekt repped this.
  3. Respekt

Respekt Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    Sounds all well mate, nice to see City focusing more on developing their own talents and easing down on the spending that we saw so much of in the summers of 2009 and 2010.

Bayern though are willing to pay the buyout from what I read yesterday and Barcelona are offering something like 35M for Javi, only 5M short of his buyout clause. I think he is destined for one of these clubs.

4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A loss to Al Hilal? Mancini OUT.

5. magic journey

magic journey Member+

Feb 20, 2010
    Friendly vs Besiktas tonight.(20july)

6. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In awe and proud. If anyone has been to Beswick, you'll know just what this is going to do for east Manchester. Acres of industrial wasteland turned into... this.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Dzeko once again saves City.

10. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. TheEuroStick

TheEuroStick Member+

Aug 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    hey guys, glad that dzeko scored and that city lost

oh yeah on more thing EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNN DDDDDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oooooooooooooooooo

12. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    He does.it again.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to the day when City get their first clean sheet of the season. I hope it's soon.

14. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Big Ed saves the day again.

15. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. el travieso

el travieso Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    leagues not over yet. plenty of points to be played for. yes, this defeat sucks though

17. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like United can squander a six point lead in the table. Or even an eight point lead.

NER_MCFC and SpaniardFC repped this.
  18. Hey folks,
    The Dutch television network VPRO had a documentary made about City's last season triumph:
    http://programma.vpro.nl/hollandsport/afleveringen/manchester-city-heeft-de-cup.html
    If you can get your hands on it, it would please you I'm sure, because it is made with a certain degree of fondness. Especially the contribution of Paul Lake I think is hart warming for a true Blue.
    What did appeal to me as a Feyenoord fan was the song he quoted that was something like:
    "we never win at home, we never win away, but we are Manchester City, so that's okay."

It appeals to me that despite the heart ache you kept staying behind your team. It is like when we were slashed by PSV away with 10-0. The next sunday at home the stadium was loaded to the brim and we supported our lads to get themselves on their feet again.
    If you have something like ManCity TV it would be a very good idea to push them to broadcast it!

19. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hi feyenoordsoccerfan, I just watched that documentary, it's now on YouTube with English captions. I appreciate this documentary so much as there have been some false perceptions spread by fans of certain clubs about our fans in recent years that are completely false, and documentaries like this go to show the true heart and soul of Manchester City - our fans, our community, those of us who experienced so many downs before the ultimate high. Those bad times that never seemed to end - broken up by only the occasional great moment (like Gillingham '99 playoff final) - made us appreciate moments like our FA Cup win and the league win so much that we're still talking about it every day. If we don't win the league this season we'll get the usual mockery but we won't care, as we've been knocked down 100 times and always gotten back up and cheered on our boys, and this would be a minor disappointment compared to some past events.

And Feyenoord have great fans, there is a good link between the two clubs these days because of Guidetti. I know Elabdellaoui isn't doing so well there but he is another and Feyenoord are given first choice on City's young players to loan (Denis Suarez could go in future).

20. Well, my hunch that it would be liked was not unfounded.:) Funny though, that it takes a Dutchman to make a docu like this that portraits the genuine fan of MCity and does it with the affection of a true soccer lover.

21. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was Blue Moon Rising a few years ago which documented probably the last "Typical City" (negative version of "Typical City" anyway) season when Spurs beat us to 4th and United beat us in the Carling Cup semi finals. But to be honest, while that was decent, I found this Dutch documentary a lot more deeper and a real exploration of the local City fanbase which is still heavily working class. The part with Paul Lake walking around Moss Side gave me goosebumps.

BTW a lot of City fans have watched this documentary, it has been well publicised on the Bluemoon forum (http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=274058) and on Twitter by popular City accounts.

22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to interlope, but what's happening with John Guidetti? He isn't on loan, right? He's still not cracked the 1st team - what are the club's plans for him? I only ask because I saw him a lot last year at Feyenoord and thought he looked great. Thanks for any info!

23. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Guidetti had that virus he got in his final weeks with Feyenoord that basically can eat the leg, it could have ended his career but he is going to be fine and has just returned to full training in the last week or two. Aston Villa and Sunderland both want him on loan which may be the next step to see how he does at this level. But if City can sell Mario in January there might be a place for him earlier than expected.

24. Tendai

Tendai New Member

Dec 17, 2012
  25. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the MCFC Facebook feed, and I really hope they never again send out pictures with David Hasselhoff in them.