General Football Thread - Any other business

Discussion in 'England' started by Marcho Gamgee, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Really? They have openly said that or are you just guessing?

2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Nope but there is a lot of anger towards the PL and feeling that maybe they should be allowed to form the super league and leave the rest of the clubs it. Will fans want players who are mainly there to further the profits of big clubs.

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #929 Fireburn47, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    This is the chairman of Accrington Stanley. Very clear there is a major dislike of the PL that the replays issue has blown wide open.

Mark Bullingham might have to go over this which would be very disruptive for the FA.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

If this happens then I suspect the PL clubs will simply treat the FA cup as youth tournament going forward and we might see replays having to have Liverpool 2019 style squads due to UEFA clashes. The FA has clearly decided its relationship with the PL is more important than the EFL for financial and national team’s reasons

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

I do wonder where this will end.

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

10. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't really have an issue with the no replays thing in general, assuming they at least provide better funding, but it is somewhat ridiculous to make a decision like that without any consultation. Once again the the domestic game is expected to make increasing accomodations for ever expanding non-domestic football.

It's all very one direction, the domestic game must always be the one needed to make sacrifices for European expansion and clubs global tours.

Marcho Gamgee and horrisengleton repped this.
  11. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    They don't really have a leg to stand on when crying about the schedule when there are clubs like Newcastle and Spurs organising post-season friendlies. The schedule needs to be addressed but like you say, not at the expense of the EFL and non-league clubs.

Marcho Gamgee, Inter Row Z and LUFCGGRAY repped this.
  12. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    It's particularly hard to take any of the proposed Super League clubs seriously when complaining about fixture congestion, when they all signed up for a guaranteed 18 games of the Super League - up to 23 games total, and then turn around and claim there's too many cup games.

horrisengleton repped this.
  13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

What a shambles the Irish manager search has become.

14. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Exactly. I don't know who the PL and FA are trying to kid when they say that player welfare is the main driver for their new, longer summer break. It's all about giving the big clubs more time to chase the cash in those lucrative pre-season games overseas. Funny too that this new 'player friendly' shake-up has come just as Fifa’s no-doubt highly profitable expanded Club World Cup is set to start in the US next summer.

horrisengleton repped this.
  15. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    How can it possibly take so long for a mid-size European nation to get a manager? Nearly an entire year? And that when it was obvious for a long time beforehand that Kenny was not going to be staying on. I can only think they must be in truly dire financial straits and want to avoid paying a contract for as long as possible.

16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Clearly waiting to see if Carsley gets the England Job or even a senior England team coaching role.

17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    They are after Carsley but he won't do anything until he finds out whats happening with England.

18. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Risky business because I think there'll be a fair few clubs after Carsley this summer. Multiple vacancies always open up in summer and I reckon quite a few top-end Championship clubs would seriously consider him. Could even see your lot going for him if you don't manage to stay up and Dyche goes, in which case I think he'd likely accept.

19. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    They aren't waiting for Carsley, they chased him for months and he eventually turned them down. They just can't find anyone else that fits or wants the job

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    #945 Gaz811, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    I doubt either a Championship or Premier league would go for him. These clubs are obsessed by Stats and at Club level Carsley doesn't have any.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    They should just stick with John O’Shea, he seemed to have them playing pretty well during those last friendly games of which I watched most of their game with Belgium.

22. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    He turned them down because he thinks he has a chance at the England job. Once the England job is sorted either way. Watch the Irish all of a sudden find the right man for the Job whether its Carsley or not. I doubt Carsley's the U21 boss by the end of the summer.

23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Two England coaches moved to championship clubs this season (Edwards and Foster), so I wouldn't say clubs would be unwilling. Granted both failed pretty miserably which will probably put some teams off. Though a bit beyond that Cooper left the under 17s to manage Swansea to good success.

Given he won the euro's with the under 21's i'd imagine he could probably leverage that to a championship level job if he really wanted to

24. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Prem probably not but I'm not convinced Championship clubs wouldn't personally. We've already seen Joe Edwards and Ian Foster get jobs there and Carsley is leagues above those two. Clubs at that level are becoming less innovative with their appointments which is why you keep seeing the same names recycled throughout the leagues and Carsley seems like an easy choice for many.

25. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    He said in the interview with the Daily Mail he sees himself as a development coach, I guess you can choose not believe what he said but I'll take his word until I see otherwise.