General football news and events

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Aug 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.football365.com/news/sc...-clocks-five-more-law-changes-wed-love-to-see
    I can get behind #1, 3, 4, and 5.
    #1 - eliminate dives in non-threatening positions by attackers to win a penalty when one is in no way, shape, or form deserved. Takes away all the hullaballoo of the 'deliberate' handball when a cross is blocked on the edge of the box by an arm in a normal position. Yes, what is 'goal scoring' is subjective but so is EVERY penalty. Whether Harry Kane's heel was clipped as he dribbled out of bounds at the edge of the box is subjective, what isn't subjective in that he had no direct opportunity to score and the reward is outsized. Every foul not deemed a goalscoring opportunity becomes an indirect kick.

#3 - as they state, the team going first in a shootout is statistically much more likely to win. eliminate the jeopardy of losing a coin flip by alternating which team shoots first each round.

#4 - something has to change and this hand/armpit/arsehairs debate is tedious and so far out of the scope of the intention of the law. Both attacking feet have to be beyond the last foot of the 2nd to last defender.

#5 - I don't like the idea for simple balls out of play - throw in, goal kick, corner, etc. We have the technology to synch a ref's watch up as the official time (and unlimited replay to decide at what point he should have stopped his watch) and he can stop the clock for major events such as when handing out cards, dealing with the 3 minute process of delays before a penalty is taken, goals are scored, or a player is 'injured,' etc. 30 minutes is too short, trial it at 40 minutes in League Two or the Gold Cup and go from there.

2. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    Interesting topic. Adding a few of my own :D for discussion sake:

1) Would be challenging to implement but I like the spirit of the suggestion.
    2) It could be used strategically by the defensive team so the penalty still needs to be a significant deterrent.
    3) Nonplussed about this either way.
    4) Something needs to be done here. One cannot depend on the competency of either a referee or VAR official.
    5) We do need better time management and I don’t mind stopping the clock whenever the ball is out of play + at the referees discretion. As you say, sync the watch with the scoreboard clock to maintain accountability.

6) Retroactive review for diving - submitted by either VAR or the opposition. 1st offense, yellow. 2 yellows = 1 game ban.
    7) VAR - make it like cricket where the audio of the decision process is broadcast live.

3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

#4 is a good / Great idea.

#5 is a cr@p idea. Thinking is part of football. Players have to think while the game is in motion breaks. Referees aren't children - they should just be allowed the leeway to add time if they feel players are unduly wasting it. They still are, I think? No? Hobo probably knows if that's the case .....

Does ABBA mean ABBAABBAAB ??

Wingtips1 repped this.
  4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

well, you would be still depending on competency of measurement of the edge of a heel of a foot in its aspect to the items around it... But it would be at least a measurement of some position of already assessed advantage - or less dependent on a measurement of practically no advantage at all.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    True. But it’s important to take as much subjectivity out of their hands as possible.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  6. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England through to the European Final. They demolished Sweden.

7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The idea of stoppage time is ridiculous. Neymar knows he can roll around for 3.5 minutes and one minute will be added back. He knows that if he rolls around for 1 minutes in the added two minutes, maybe 15 seconds will be given back. If a goal is scored it's 2-3 minutes of celebrating/VAR review for at most 1 minute added back.
    So much of the time wasting antics would be stopped (or simply not incentivized) and the game would flow so much more which would require more thought, right?

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Why is that the case though? If you go to the grocery store and give Neymar a $5 bill for 3.25 in purchases - if he gets down on the ground and rolls around, he still owes you 1.75 when he stands up. The refs also owe you the same amount. Make them do their job properly.

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Basically, refs should use a stopwatch for stoppage time, and then players wouldn't act up as much with no benefit accrued....

But stopping and starting the clock in the running of the game is a pox to be avoided IMO...

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    VAR wasn't available......?

A 29-year-old California soccer player died 15-days after a large fight erupted during a match over a disagreement with the referee’s decision, according to the Oxnard Police Department.

On July 10, Oxnard police responded to reports of a large fight between two adult soccer teams on a high school soccer field. Authorities found Misael Sanchez unresponsive and not breathing, Oxnard police said in a release.

“The fight occurred when the two teams disagreed with a referee’s decision,” Oxnard police said. Sanchez was on the field playing when the fight broke out. “During the fight, Sanchez was assaulted by multiple assailants,” police said.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/us/california-soccer-player-dies-fight/index.html

11. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped reffing supposedly 'adult' men's leagues just because of their lack of self-discipline and simple lack of knowledge of the rules of the game.

speker repped this.
  12. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Reffing is a thankless job especially with older players .

imasyko repped this.
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    thankless ... plus damn dangerous.

imasyko repped this.
  14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thankfully the refs in our mens league games in the USL around Philly were all decent enough. Because our clubs were rather settled with core groups of players from year to year and the refs were all relatively settled as well (a core of 3-4 centers and 5 or 6 line-os), we had a lot of banter with them.
    "David! How could you miss that?"
    "You're sh*te today Haley! But you're doing much better than Wendorf did for us last week."
    But I did feel bad for some of the refs when it came to the lower level men's league games - those 52 year old heavies can't trap a ball but they sure can sprint after a referee.

imasyko repped this.
  15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I once saw - well, we were a field away watching a different game on the bleachers - at SF's Polo Fields, a sub of a team in our league ran onto the field and bit the ref's ear for sending one of their players off....
    I'm not sure if he had the foresight to bring mustard.

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Uruguayan?

imasyko repped this.
  17. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone cares, here's my startling prediction for the Women's Euro final...England - 0/Germany - 0 with Germany winning on pens! Pretty radical, huh? :)

England will be sooooo tight playing in front of home crowd with high expectations.

sorry to see the French go out - they were at least fun to watch.

18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ugh, unfortunately I agree. Woof.

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I realize this is sexist, but which is the best looking team??? (haven't seen any of it)

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mexicans ... but a fair enough guess ......

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

zaqualung repped this.
  22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    apparently a woman is outing him as her r-ist on twitter because new brexit rules mean the UK police can't touch him (it happened in Europe).

23. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Best looking in terms of on-field play or T&A ?(tactics and analytics of course)

24. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden

Wingtips1, Mabee and zaqualung repped this.
  25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I could have prob guessed that!! :)

imasyko repped this.