General football news and events - Part 2

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Jul 24, 2023.

1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, at the very least it's gonna need a LOT of Video Assisted Review!!! ;)

Hah - I kill me!!

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    more concerns from players about excessive workload ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cd11dvkd4veo
    The Professional Footballers' Association has joined a legal action against Fifa over the "overloaded and unworkable" football calendar.

The PFA are co-claimants with the French players' union in the claim filed at the Brussels court of commerce, with the support of the European office of players' union Fifpro.

It is "challenging the legality of Fifa's decisions to unilaterally set the international match calendar and, in particular, the decision to create and schedule the Fifa Club World Cup 2025".

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Burn the US flag - protected.
    Burn the rainbow flag - jail.

burning247 and EruditeHobo repped this.
  4. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Players should have at least one 20 day stretch of offseason with absolutely no coordinated team activities, be it club or national teams.

newterp and SamScouse repped this.
  5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Minimum 21 - absolutely

6. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No it doesn't. Perhaps you should do some reading on the subject.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Next Tuesday .... new PL fixtures...
    I was wondering whether it was going to be tomorrow, maybe, before the Euros

upload_2024-6-13_11-3-8.png

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    This is the 2nd or 3rd time FIFA has dipped its toe in the CWC concept. They’ve yet to be successful.

I wonder if a large part of this is that FIFA is used to dealing with countries, national FAs who have 10-12-15 games a year. The clubs are a very different animal. 50-60 games a year and set up to make money as opposed to helping FIFA skim money from its tournaments. If a club makes $10, it expects to keep $10. If a country makes $10, FIFA sidle up and say, “I think we’ll have 90% of that $10. Or else we’ll ban you from competition. Knowwharramean?”

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Forgot to add.

There’s another even seedier side to FIFA’s newfound faith in a yearly CWC. The future of football, I believe is in competitions such as the CL and PL (if Man City allow us to have our way). Every few years, the PL or UEFA get several oil tankers of broadcasting rights money with even more flowing in with advertizing and the marketing of these tournaments.

Now don’t get me wrong, the WC is not too shabby on that front, but it is only once every 4 years (who remembers the FIFA kite that they floated of 2 year cycles?) and FIFA wants yearly oil tankers, not every 4 years. It can’t swing a WC every 2 years, so I know! A CWC every year. That’ll pay for our Pomerol and gold dusted Almas caviar.

SamScouse repped this.
  11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It's really silly because they are already awash in money....... why do they need to increase a revenue stream that is already massive, when it is proving to be very onerous on the wear and tear of the main cogs in their product? Terrible attitude

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My point was more that it might.

I am 99.99% against any law where a punishment of "might happen if" is involved.

13. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hate propaganda provisions were first added to the Criminal Code in 197024 in response to the recommendation of the Special Committee on Hate Propaganda in Canada that a law be established to prohibit advocating genocide and inciting hatred of particular groups, where these activities are likely to occasion breach of the peace.25 This special parliamentary committee, known as the “Cohen Committee,” after its chairperson, Maxwell Cohen, was created following a series of events in the 1960s, when certain white supremacist and neo‑Nazi groups, largely based in the United States, were active in Canada. These groups and individuals engaged mainly in anti‑Semitic and anti‑Black propagandizing. The committee emphasized the high esteem that should be placed on free expression in Canada, which it said in most cases should take precedence over any legal limitations that could be imposed on it.26 However, the committee explained that such limitations are necessary when “liberty becomes licence and colours the quality of liberty itself with an unacceptable stain.”

While those things you stated are no doubt insulting none of them would rise to the level of the hate propaganda laws.

Samarkand repped this.
  14. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Anyway , enough of this .

delaynomo repped this.
  15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I know! Let’s a a calm chat about VAR.

Binomial and speker repped this.
  16. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
  17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Binomial repped this.
  18. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    #319 Binomial, Jun 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    This is the power of hype and what it does.

I know he’s not English but Robbo was eligible if you like to be subjected to English tax. But there was no hype around and bosh! Signed for 7m.

This is where you rely on your scouts to find these guys and get them for cheap before they value soares after 1 good season.

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well the timing is definitely in Everton's favour.

not only are MU their usual "pay over the odds to show our fans we buy only from the top shelf" idiots, right now they have only 1 decent / healthy CB - and that's assuming they can stitch a player together from the parts of 5-6 others.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No matter where United go shopping this summer, they’re going to be paying extra because even North Korean stray dogs in the street known their situation.

21. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    RIP Kevin Campbell who tragically passed away today at the age of 54.

Heart goes out to his family.

22. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    1801669825946652694 is not a valid tweet id

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like middle of the road in terms of difficulty to start.