General Banter NSR

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by JohnnyRanger, Jun 30, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    CAN YOU IMAGINE ???

the Canada Soccer Association agreed to let OneSoccer have broadcast rights for the national and Olympic teams, CPL games and games from other leagues

WHAT A DISASTER of a programming organization... and i use the last word whimsically--

they still use buffering so there are large gaps where the broadcast freezes, the feed is average to poor quality, low quality broadcast crew and they frequently get the game days and times mixed up on their schedule

surely we can do better ! and the CSA should assist One Soccer in presenting the games

2. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Given that it is the CSA we are talking about, yes I can imagine it. Total waste of time & money that bunch.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i said to my son BEFORE the game that the Caps have a different feel to them- there seems to be a recognizable and well-laid out plan to take the Caps in a path to success
    i think the Caps could be the sleeper/under the radar team in MLS - more depth, more ball posssession, more attack, more skill

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, after the last 3 games, i figure i might as well get to it-- I HAVE BEEN DUPED ... AGAIN!! I FELL FOR THE LINE

i thought that the Club was actually spending money from the owners collective wallets- my son said- NOPE, that the owners wont spend a dime on the team

alas, HE IS RIGHT- WE HAVE THE SMALLEST BUDGET IN MLS and the collective salary falls in the MLS allotment- davies $$$, TAM, SHAM, etc- covers the new players transfers- and the lack of quality-- or is it the lack of quality coaching ??- that is showing up once again

its time to replace the coaching staff and see if we have more quality than what we are seeing on the pitch- as of right now, the team doesnt have much of a clue what to do offensively

over to you AXEL!

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you folks heard why Whitecaps do not sell tickets in the Salt Lake market while they are here? Lots of us RSL fans would go to the games and pull for Whitecaps (when they aren’t playing RSL).

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    because the Caps are not worthy of spending money on-- and i have been going to their games since 1977

RSLer repped this.
  7. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Is RSL allowing fans to their own home games?

If they are, yeah, it seems weird. Even if they only got 1000 supporters who just like to watch some MLS football, it would be money and be good for the fan engagement.

RSLer repped this.
  8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, RSL is currently allowing 10K to attend.

9. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Thats great. I guess the Caps don't want it then for their home games. Maybe worried they will get boo'd :) We boo them enough up here already.

RSLer repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booing wouldn’t happen. Basically the locals are happy that the Caps chose Salt Lake as their temporary home. We would go and pull for them. I’m wondering if in the agreement RSL required the Caps to not sell tickets. I can see RSL doing that because they wouldn’t want the Caps to cut into their revenue.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    watching the game austin vs seattle

the aztecs are a new team and yet look more cohesive and purposeful with their team plan than the Caps do under MDS year 3

given this is the MLS, the season is still wide open to improve and move up the standings- but not with this coach-- sorry, Marc, but it aint going to happen

12. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I honestly don't think a coaching change will do a lot because, ultimately, the team won't get the level of player they need to mix this all together. In saying that, MDSs record on player signings before Axel was atrocious, and his coaching record is poor. On the results, he should be sacked.

Sacking and paying out coaches are not going to be easy to convince the Caps to do. I am sure the owner is still smarting over paying Carl for however long it took for him to get his job. If MDS contract is up this year, for sure; if it is an additional year I bet they stick with him.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *update* the Caps are going to allow 2,000 fans at the 6/23 and 7/17 matches against LAG! RSL season ticket holders get first crack at them. Hopefully my son and I will be able to attend them.

14. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Thats great news !

Please don't be too offended that you have to watch this bunch :)

Let us know how it goes!

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if he does go to the game, he will come away just as confused as we all are about the Caps

16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    IS IT POSSIBLE ????

the Caps sit at 15 points with 15 games remaining, 10 being at home; meaning there are 45 points to be taken

the usual playoff point number is 48, so the caps will have to take 33/45 points, a 73% clip (15 + 33= 48)

even with new additions like #10, ryan gauld, there is only a slim chance- its a team building for 2022

and head coach, MDS, has these remaining games to show he can take the team to new horizons for '22- his team is playing at a 31% (15/48 points) rate so i reckon if he can get the team to a 55% rate (25/45 points) for the remaining games, he might save his arse from heading out the door come november

not sure what the players think of MDS, but i believe a coaching change is necessary for 2022- for some good reasons:

1. team comes out slow and disfunctional to start games

2. constant changing of team formations- asking cava to be a link forward is just foolish as its not his forte

3. continuous poor use and timing of subs

4. unable to get the best of the players he has, such as Cava

5. he gets too emotionally involved/lost in the games and looses the bigger picture of adjusting the team at the right time - he just hasnt evolved as a head coach

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    OOPS!!!! got it wrong- thx GC!

the Caps have 18 MLS games remaining- 54 points to grab- more plausible than 15 games, but still the task is to get to the magic playoff total of 48 points

which means we still need to take 33/54 points since we already have 15-- a 61% point rate (we now are at 33%) - its a tall order

yes, we have 2 good additions coming in, but it takes time to integrate them into the team, the playing surfaces and the MLS style of play- Ryan Gauld will have to be HUGE

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I honestly don't care if they make the playoffs this year. Build us a team that can do something next year. Axel has done much better at getting people that fit in the salary cap than MDS and Carl did. That is a checkmark.

And holy hell, is it possible Kerfoot dumped a bunch of his own money on a salary that far exceeds MLS allocation and cap money? Will have to wait and see when the PA releases it but it has been said in the media Gauld will make over 2 mill a season. If so, I have to give a checkmark to the owner I truly despise!

Gauld looks like the real deal so far. But , there is still a lot of holes which is why I think this year is not that important in the standings.

tm13 repped this.
  19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    LUCAS CAVALLINI IS COOKED

unfortunately what seemed like a very positive signing (and i supported also) has not turned out well for cava or the Caps

vs SKC last night, he was glued to the bench and even old-man ricketts got a run as a sub

THATS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

an early loan asap to his new club in europe or ?? will be best for all concerned

20. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Cava is behind Ricketts at this point. He has completely lost the plot. And, it is not something we can blame the Caps for; he has fallen hard with the National Team and Herdman as well.

I hate to say it; but in light of his overall Caps production and how he has fallen off so hard in the middle of his prime; combined with his salary and transfer fee; he is becoming a BUST.

His agent was meeting with clubs in Spain a while back; hopefully he can find something. Cava needs to go and the Caps need him out. There is no way he will be back next season.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if vannie starts him tonight vs portland, then he has probably cost us a good run to win- there is NO evidence that cava can turn the corner and start to score

this is not time to play to egos

its the time to give your team an opportunity to get 1 or 3 points- and you gotta start White - he is on a long run of quality performances, putting him in the top 3 strikers in MLS

22. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    What a win in Portland. Wow, can't believe I'm feeling pride in this team for the first time in years. Sartini certainly has them working hard enough that any match against the Caps will be tough.

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    we supporters can -JOYFULLY- inhale the excitement around this TEAM

but truth be told, there were signs that the group of players were united and committed since the season began- they just needed some catalysts for success that would turn ties into wins:

6 catalysts:

1. MDS' squad loosing to Pacific FC and the owners and Axel angrily leaving the stadium- that loss was the best damn thing that happened

2. the firing of MDS and the hiring of inspirational assistant coach, Vanni Sartini- wise selection by Axel

3. the signing of our missing #10, Ryan Gauld- thx to the owners and the scouting staff

4. the shrewd trading for florian jungwirth and brian white by Axel and the scouting team

5. enhancing the high press, headed by our gift, brian white

6. the players totally buying into the playing system of Vanni and watching the belief blossom (except for a 4-1 loss to seattle, where, in fact, the score flattered the Sounders)

carnifex2005 repped this.
  24. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    When we just think it's time to feel pride.... another scandal :( Very troubling for me to see this again.

I hope this cleans out the stench of those old FO people. Axel seems to be a stand up guy so I hope he can do what is right (and more importantly , get the owner to do what is right).

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    just hope it isnt a distraction for the team ON THE FIELD

it needed to come out FULL BLAST- probably more to come

this is good news IMO and will make us a better Club