General Banter NSR

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by JohnnyRanger, Jun 30, 2011.

1. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Yup, no tailgating because illegal. Being away fans my guess is the police wouldn't cut you any slack either.

The Southsiders meet pre and post game at Doolin's Irish Pub (Corner of Nelson and Granville). All away fans are welcome to join us.

We are currently putting together a guide to Vancouver for away fans we hope have it done in about two weeks, but here is some early info. http://vancouversouthsiders.ca/foru...couver-a-guide-for-fans-of-visiting-mls-teams

2. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucks about the tailgating. If they took away tailgating from us in KC, there would be a revolt. That is just as much part of the gameday experience as the game is. We usually get out there 4 to 5 hours before game time regardless of the weather.

How early does anyone start getting together at the pub? We are landing around 2 and have to take our stuff to the hotel but after that, we are ready to go.

I really appreciate the information, I will check out the link.

3. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am also coming on that same trip that Felixx was discussing... my biggest question revolves around the sweet nectar known as Caffrey's Irish Ale...

It is not allowed to be imported into the states because Coors bought the rights and then shut it down... but I went to the KC game in Toronto 2 years ago and was overjoyed to find that the supporters pub after the game had it on tap... I just dropped 500 US$ on plane tickets and am really hoping that Vancouver has Caffrey's available... anyone know? (the real perk would be if this Doolin's had it on tap) thanks... and lookin' forward to meeting a few of ya...

4. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can't remember if they have it. I'll be there on Saturday and take a look. If you are into beer (who isn't?) then you should pop by this place if you have time:
    http://staugustinesvancouver.com/
    They have 40 beers on tap and rotate through different breweries all the time. It's at a skytrain station so easy to get to.

5. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I've had Caffrey's at a few different bars but it has always been on a rotating tap. If you are keen swing by Doolan's Irish Pub and meet up with the Southsiders before the match. I believe they have Caffrey's on tap but haven't ordered it there before so I'm not certain. Next time I go there I'll take a look and update this thread.

The Alibi Room has over 50 beers so that may be another place to check http://www.alibi.ca/ though St Augustine's is my favorite pub.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The bartender at Doolin's told me they used to carry it but it never sold enough so they stopped. He also mentioned that as far as he knew, Molson still has the rights to it and are producing it, so you might be able to find it somewhere

7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    re: marc weber's Vancouver Sun newspaper comment on the Caps season so far-

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/05/29/whitecaps-survive-four-seasons-in-one-month/

he should have mentioned the fall from grace of both hassli and chiumiento-- both are looming issues that need to be solved-- having high salaried players riding the pine for the first 60 minutes of a game is just not good enough and it frustrates the hell out of the fans... and probably the rest of the players if they wanted to be open about it-- if i were coach, i would try and trade 1 or both of them and use the extra salary cap money to find more committed, ambitious, fit players who are capable of playing a full 90 minutes-- the sight of hassli throwing up his arms in frustration, constantly yapping at the ref or laying on the turf for over 1 minute because he thought he should have got a penalty kick is painful to my old eyes; the sight of seeing davide waddling back to help his defence after he gets stripped of the ball in mf disgusts me, especially when the opposing team scores off of his mistake

even with robson coming in, without a further 2 more impact players (defender with experience and pace, and a striker who can score goals every 2-3 games and create some havoc in the opposing team's 18 yard box so others can score), i fear that the caps will not make the playoffs--

PLEASEEEEEEEEEE dont tell me that those players cant be found-- its a world market! montreal is leaving us behind as they add real quality to their team-- vancouver should be doing the same

MLS teams will be ramping up the second half of the season, especially with the ability to sign new players in July comes-- i would hope/expect the Caps to do the same-- the Caps owners need to be more ambitious and get rennie to go after better quality for the second half of the season

8. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I love this armchair general manager who magically thinks great players will just leave and come to MLS. It isn't as easy as it sounds sportie1.

You can say "they need 2 players" for ages and eventually they will get someone and you will say ' SEE ,I TOld you"...

you need a yellow card.

9. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    just because i said the Caps need 2 more experienced, quality players (beyond robson) doesn't mean they will follow my best advice- who would have guessed last summer that they would sign the disastrously expensive jarju rather than sign 2 solid players that i recommended?? was i right?? absolutely! and this summer i should be right also-- its going to be a strong finish for many MLS teams in the second half of the season and the Caps will need to improve on what they have in order to qualify- i believe rennie will do it

at least i dont have some ridiculous posting topics that you have started recently-- those deserve a red card and a season-long suspension!!

soooooooooo take the yellow card and put it where the sun dont shine

10. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The caps know they need more good players; you are not giving us a ground breaking opinion.

it takes time and is not as easy as you think.

11. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    watched the canada-usa game last nite-- tiebert looked completely lost out there and offered very little to canada's game- he just seemed overwhelmed whenever he came near or had possession of the ball-- not sure i see a future significant role for him with the caps-- lacks pace, ball skill at this level

have to say that if he is part of canada's future for WC play, we are in trouble- the mens team has a longggggggg way to go b4 they can have any real hope of qualifying for a WC (2022 at the earliest)

(on the other hand, jakovic, kyle bekker, akkakora and morgan impressed me, especially jakovic in cd and bekker in mf, but canada needs a lot more than these 4)

12. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree about Tiebert. Thing was, he played against essentially an MLS American all-star team, not the foreign leaguers who make up the top end of the US line-up. If he can't compete with American MLS-ers, I don't know if he has what it takes--especially with the added pace and technical ability they brought in through the draft this year.

That said, all the Canadians, except Jakovic, looked a step behind the Americans to me, so...

13. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i thought that kyle bekker, recently drafted by TFC looked very good in mf-- shows a lot of promise-- very good positional play, able to make good passes, works hard on and off the ball, keeps his poise and is willing to get stuck into a game

i also thought that morgan and akkakora had good games... but the rest of the young members are lacking IMO

agree that jakovic was outstanding and is someone to build a defence around-- a definite leader, something the mens team has been lacking for a decade

14. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I keep a mental list of countries I want to visit, ticking them off as I go. For years Ireland was at the top of the list. Been there, drunk my Dublin Guinness, Now Canada is at the top. I've just had 1 month vacation time approved in Sept-October this year, I'm planning to see the Great Polar Bear Migration before one of us becomes extinct(I am a cancer survivor;)) but before I head out to Churchill via Winterpeg, I will be in Vancouver for roughly 2 weeks in the second half of September. I think I get RSL away(what pub) and hosting the Timbers. I am a huge football fan(Soccer if you must) and am very keen to get along to the VWFC home game against Portland...being a Cascadia Cup game will I have difficulty getting a ticket?, and where is a good place to go pre-game for a beer to meet some local soccer fans?
    cheers,
    a wandering Aussie:)

PS: any tips on must dos&sees in Vancouver will be very helpful. Tim Hortons has already been suggested as a cultural icon I 'have' to try, which is what prompted me to post here, hope I'm in roughly the right place.

15. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    There are a variety of places to grab a pint pregame, I usually go to "The Pint" but the Southsiders (official supporter group) take over Doolins pre/post match and is prob a pretty great environment. I would check out their message board vancouversouthsiders.ca as they have a ton of info on the city/soccer scene.

16. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    thanks for the tip. would you believe that my hotel in Vancouver is directly above Doolins? the football Gods must be smiling upon me:)

17. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    coast restaurant/rodney's in downtown vancouver are some of the best seafood restaurants that you can consider. i hope vancity won't rain during your stay.

JohnnyRanger repped this.
  18. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I have heard a lot about the 'Pacific North Wet' and it will be a little disappointing if it rains so much that I can't get out on a bike for the seawall, or to climb Grouse Grind, but hey, sometimes shit happens. I'm sure I'll be able to find plenty of indoor things to do in Vancity if it rains:)

19. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    absolutely connect with the Southsiders at Doolins or Rain City Brigade at Library Square pre game for the Timbers match, also drop in on the SS Messageboard for away game viewing plans.

Things to do/see:
    -Grouse Grind (as you said)
    -Seawall (as you said)
    -Mill Marine Bistro patio for beers during a nice sunny day in Coal Harbour
    overnight trip to Whistler, with an afternoon stop in Squamish.
    -Tim Hortons is indeed a Canadian Cultural icon, but if you're a coffee nut there's a lot of awesome real coffee junky spots in Vancouver...specifically "Revolver" on Cambie.
    -Granville Island Market and Pubs.
    -A dinner at any of some of the best places in Vancouver such as Vij's, Joe Fortes, Rodney's (mentioned above) and many of the Glowbal Group restaurants like Glowbal, Coast (mentioned above) The Italian Kitchen, Black n Blue, and Society.
    -No trip to Vancouver is complete without a Friday or Saturday evening spent at the Roxy followed up with Pizza by the slice anywhere along Granville St at 4am.

enjoy your stay.

ntg. repped this.
  20. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    kayaking is one of my favourite summer time activities
    i am not sure if kayaking is still open in september, but if it is (and weather permitting), kayaking around the jericho beach area is pretty nice.

21. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    september is 1 of the best outdoor months of the year and often we have a great end to summer weather-- so outdoor stuff is still very possible-- the nites are cooler, but the daytimes can still be quite warm and sunny and upwards to 26 C-- its my favorite month- so kayaking on false creek is definitely a GO

22. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it's tax time.
    i hope everyone will have considerable amount of tax credit.
    use it on gift for your wife, whitecaps games, a meal at bistro pastis (very good IMO), a beer..:)

23. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the opening of the much anticipated new stadium in San Jose has been delayed by half a season because of excavation issues at the construction site . Per the Mercury News, "We have encountered incredibly difficult unforeseen conditions," Devcon Construction executive Peter Copriviza said in a statement. "With foundations over 10 feet deep, drilled piers, unexpected underground chambers, we have been presented with a series of challenges during both the demolition and grading process."