General Assignments Discussion

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Nov 18, 2022.

1. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I just looked, and the last time this happened was 2006. Before that, 1990. So, not impossible but would be somewhat surprising

2. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    No. Historically, there has always been tension between how MLS and FIFA view referees. Brian Hall, who went to the 2002 World Cup, was not well liked by MLS at the same time. MLS has tended to prefer non-FIFA referees who have only one boss and will do what the league likes.

frankieboylampard and Pierre Head repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I presume Al-Jassim is on the 3/4 playoff.

Yeah, if Brazil were eliminated and Morocco doesn't advance, I think Ghorbal gets a QF and Claus is saved for a semi.

What are the other options? Mohamed seems a bridge too far. Beath was apparently not good enough, which is interesting. And I would guess Gomes is held back by his crew? I don't know. None of them were glaringly bad but none of them set the world on fire either. Faghani calling that penalty really sort of ruined the one set plan that FIFA seemed to have.

4. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I wasn’t counting the 3/4 playoff when I looked back at previous years. 6 of the last 7 world cups, someone from AFC or CAF has gotten a knockout match that matters, and in many cases someone from both did.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally understand/agree. And I presumed one of each when this tournament started. But things happen. I imagine this is a first for CONCACAF getting three different referees in the knockout stage (and likely 4 games now).

I'm interested to learn what the issue with Beath was, the more I think about it. Guy did the Olympic Gold Medal match and a CWC Final. He was, in a lot of ways, a sustained project like Elfath, getting a lot of attention and good assignments from FIFA. But I guess he just didn't have the personality or perceived skills to be at the same level. So one mediocre (?) match was enough.

Still think maybe Ghorbal fits in. Nothing is necessarily guaranteed.

GoneSouth repped this.
  6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    This was because he actually wanted to enforce the LOTG properly!
    Thankfully I think this is now not as bad as it used to be since PRO took over control of the refereeing. People like Walton and Webb understand the system a lot better.

PH

frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

So Frappart vs Al-Jassim on the 3/4 game?

8. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For example, five years ago Beath had Argentina and Brazil in front of 100k fans in Melbourne.

9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ARs mean less but it can't hurt to have two top level ones with you. Gives Elfath even more of a shot.

AremRed repped this.
  10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was just a friendly, though. Brazil v Argentina come to your home soil and the #1 local FIFA is going to get it (unless, for reasons of protection, it's not a good idea). For me, that doesn't prove much. Plenty of US referees have gotten pretty big friendlies over the years because of the attraction to playing here.

The two FIFA Finals is a different story.

jarbitro repped this.
  11. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    What about club friendlies? I ask because when Barcelona vs Real Madrid played this summer, Mark Allatin got the nod despite having barely any MLS experience.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gets complicated and into the relationship with PRO and USSF. In years gone by, that would have gone to a FIFA referee. But now, because PRO's job is to service MLS primarily, these club friendlies go to our third-tier or so referees who are trying to get to MLS. It makes no sense to use your top guys on friendlies while your league is going on. Imagine if Michael Oliver took a break from the EPL to do a friendly with foreign clubs on home soil. This all speaks to the evolution of our referee professionalization and the increased stature of MLS as a real league.

gaolin, JasonMa, AlextheRef and 2 others repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow we should get the first two QF assignments. I'll stick with Mateu on Netherlands-Argentina and gamble on Oliver (over Taylor) for Croatia-Brazil.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't it be on Wednesday?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right! I had already moved onto Dec. 6 in my head.

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday would probably be the day Collina would do the mid tournament conference if it's going to happen.

17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Will we get an announcement of referees that have been sent home or will be sent home and not retained for the rest of the knockout stages?

18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who are old hats at fantasy assigning, has there ever been a year where there are so many unknowns and potential variables in the last eight matches (QF/SF/3-4/F)?

It just seems like there are a lot more moving pieces than normal. A lot of top officials are from countries that have legitimate chances to reach the final. One of the refs that was probably slotted for one of these matches had a major mistake that likely ended his tournament. You have Elfath, who didn't have a great first game but has not only been great his last two games, but against all odds has become a media and fan favorite as a referee. You have the very real possibility of international derby-type matches (ENG-FRA, ARG-BRA, ESP-POR) in the last seven. To top it all off, you have FIFA already making a PR statement with an all-female crew put together for one match already (of course, only thinking about the 3-4 game in that context). And I'm still not 100% convinced Barton is out of the running on any additional matches considering how good he's been (but he's likely done with a big pat on the back and a "work your tail off and we'll see what happens in four years" type of message).

I remember from four years ago, it was pretty much locked in on a small number of referees with one big surprise on one of the semis. This year, who knows?

AremRed repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think this year is particularly tough. It seems like this year has some pretty obvious picks because of who is still there (Mateu and an EPL referee). Then you have Orsato. And Elfath again now. And probably Marciniak. Then either Claus or Ghorbal.

There’s the question of if there needs to be an AFC referee and if there needs to be a surprise CONMEBOL pick instead of Claus. And I think Makkelie has a shot at England-France if Orsato is being saved. So nothing is set in stone. But the basic contours are clear in a way they haven’t been in the past.

And I think the Finals candidates are somewhat clear, too. Orsato, Elfath, Marciniak and then Turpin/Mateu/EPL (depending upon which teams lose in the QFs). I think the most interesting question is whether or not Seneme could shoehorn Sampaio into an all UEFA final if Brazil loses to Croatia. But that seems far-fetched to me.

20. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Have to think the fact that a CONMEBOL referee had the final last time renders it less likely it will happen again this year

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the fact that there's no real option outside Brazil/Argentina, one of those teams will make the semis, Argentina had it last time (and in 2006), a Brazilian hasn't had it since 1986, and CONMEBOL is controlled by a Brazilian. In other words, an Argentinian referee doesn't have a chance this time.

If Brazil went out to Argentina and it ended up being an all-UEFA final, there's a backdoor way for Sampaio to get the Final (with Elfath on one semi and Orsato/Marciniak on the other). But it seems the longest of the plausible longshots at the moment.

22. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    If Brazil went out to Argentina, that means Argentina makes the Final and it cannot be an all-UEFA final, no?

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, if Brazil went out to Croatia. I keep thinking faster than I’m typing. Or the other way around.

My point was intended to be that if Brazil goes out in the next round, Sampaio will hang around. And he’s then a somewhat viable option if Argentina lose to Croatia.

It’s a long shot. I don’t think it will happen. But trying to think of options outside UEFA or Elfath right now. And it’s the best I can come up with.

24. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Did we ever find out the result of France's protest regarding Conger? If not by now I imagine that will come out very quietly after the tournament is over.

25. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019