General Admission

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by markspence02, Nov 21, 2009.

1. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This past week I went to Buenos Aires with my church. On Sunday night, I went with a few friends to Monumental stadium to watch River Plate. Incidentally, River Plate won 3-1.

We decided to throw caution to the wind and sat (stood) in the "popular" section, in other words, the GA section. If I had picture privileges, I would post them...

Because CARP has had such a poor season, their was not many fans in attendance. (sound familiar?) However, the GA section was full of fans passionately supporting their team through song.

If FCD would catch this type of vision - to offer several sections, maybe even half the stadium, as GA, then I think the type of atmosphere die-hard fans crave could become a reality.

2. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - it is a great idea that has been advoacted here many times and was proven pretty successful at the Cotton Bowl.

It has yet to be seen that HSG can hire anyone that knows how to sell some tickets - this would be a very good way.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always thought they should have done the Cotton Bowl model until they had enough demand to change it. If attendance is high enough then sections could have gradually been converted to season ticket only (always leaving some for the energy). Who could argue for it then? As it is set up now it is easy to criticize their set up because demand is so low it hard for them to even stop fans from moving to better sections. Agree with Northside that HSG has never demonstrated that they know what they are doing in ticket sales.

5. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I'll continue support this idea till the day I die. HSG has missed a huge opportunity to grow the fan base since moving into PHP. Instead, small pockets of season ticket holders randomly placed throughout the stadium can complain enough to prevent any 'Festive' atmosphere from developing - anywhere.

Fix it now HSG! Swallow your pride and start over with seating arrangements in PHP!

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, what used to be a "festive" side at the Cotton Bowl seems to have morphed into a "group sales" side at Pizza Hut Park.

My suggestion to HSG: allocate the center and stage end of the East side to group sales, and offer general admission seating at group sales ticket prices on the East side near the Supporter's Club corner.

To boost general admission ticket sales, FCD could sell 20-ticket booklets at a discounted price, with the tickets good for any game. No doubt some of the booklet purchasers would end up giving some of their tickets away, and hopefully FCD could gain some new fans that way.

7. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    You are referencing the FlexiPass. The exact thing that made me a fan of the Burn/FCD during the Cotton Bowl days. The Flexipass rocks! I pay a sum up front to FCD. Then it's up to me to make it to the games. If I miss a few during the season I invite a bunch of friends to the final games. They are usually the best games of the season because something is on the line.

I get to act like a Big Shot and bring a bunch of friends to the game. Friends who become fans.

Wow, imagine that HSG. Money up front. And a ticket holder who has incentive to bring new fans to the franchise.

Oh, if you would only listen to your loyal fan base!

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's what it was called.

The FlexiPass was probably the best sales idea implemented by the Burn.

I wonder if HSG has ever given a thought to resurrecting it.

9. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Maybe if they review tape of the past 3-4 seasons, where their East side stands look empty for most every home game. And then look at footage of Seattle's games. And Toronto's games. And Philly's upcoming games. Dallas is becoming a relic. A vision of the past. Not a beacon of the future of MLS.

Yes, you did the new stadium. Big deal. Now fill it.

10. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Loved the flexi-pass, but was too selfish to share.

If I was a marketing guy, I split the stadium into zones...
    Grey poupon season tickets, family, and "festive". I take a different approach for each section and insulate the feint of heart from the "lesser" sections.

Grey poupons need to feel extra special about themselves, so allow them special parking and other special goodies.... maybe like an FCD cardigan or FCD pipe.

Put the rowdies and the ethnics in the festive zones and have the beer guys make frequent and inexpensive visits. ( I miss the big white guy yelling "cacahauates" selling peanuts and beer.)

Give the kiddies their bounce house, face painting, and autographs. And, keep them the hell away from the scary types that lurk in the "festive" side.

Why can't everyone get what they want? That way, HSG can also get what they want.

11. cormaxtacy

cormaxtacy Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Little Rock, Ark.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before the start of the season, the FCD blog had a question-and-answer session with Hyndman and Hitchcock. Someone did ask them about having more GA seats like at the Cotton Bowl. This is the question and answer:

And also, a lot of fans are asking for one side of the stadium to be GA like it was in the Cotton Bowl. Is there any chance that could happen? It could help to bring in a bigger crowd to that part of the stadium and to help with atmosphere. Thanks for answering our questions!
    Hitchcock: “We’re not in a position to turn half the stadium into general admission. We feel the integrity of the reserved ticket is important, and that helps to make sure a fan’s reserved seats will be there when they buy their seats together with their friends, colleagues, clients, or their team.”

This might change under the change in leadership, and it really is something they should look into. That, and cheaper beer for sale!

That blog post, which is interesting to read now that the season is over, is:
    http://worldcupway.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-q-hitchcock-and-schellas.html

12. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, some of you have not yet spoken to your sales rep? Because they are indeed doing something close to this.

Yes Virginia, miracles do happen (shameless holiday movie reference) - the front office is listening to the fans and we are starting to see changes made as a result.

13. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close to Flexipass or to GA? I don't think the former has much of a chance, since even this mess of an organization comes close to selling out once in a while (hopefully more often in the future), and it would be a PR disaster even beyond our usual standards if everyone waited until a desirable game and gave out their flexipass tickets to friends and family (I'm assuming that opening day, last day, and July 4 would be excluded anyway).

14. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The flexi-pass worked GREAT for us out-of-town fans (like myself) who cannot predict 6 months in advance which games they would be able to attend yet still want to support the team.

That is why one reason why I stopped coming to 5-7 games per season and made only 1 instead.

I have no clue why they would stop that.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All they would have to do is have you call and reserve a spot (not seat) for a game. Some games it wouldn't matter some it would and it would only affect the GA seats. Make sure it's understood when you buy a flexipass. Movie theaters do it to a much smaller degree. You buy your ticket and then go find a seat. Once tickets sold match the number of seats then they don't sell any more to that start time. They could even let you use a flexipass + extra amount to upgrade which would be especially handy if you were already there, didn't reserve ahead of time and GA was sold out but there were pricier seats left.

16. tornado fan

tornado fan Member

Apr 14, 2006
    And yes, the GA sometimes did sell out. What a concept.

Isn't that what HSG is looking for? Urgency to buy tickets and sold out sections?

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most times there is no way to figure out what the ownership really wants. So many things seem so easy to fix and/or obvious I wonder if there is another deeper underlying reason that escapes us simple folks. Is there a long term plan that brings in a lot of money that relies on skimping now? If not spending a bit more would deliver a whole lot more $$$ back and that's very apparent to almost everyone.

18. Furacao del Norte

Mar 13, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going from memory here, but...

It looks like both. I know there is a flex multi-ticket package. Season tix are actually this way already since they let you exchange them. I actually get half-season tickets without even looking at the dates and then start exchanging constantly as I decide which games and how many people are going to each one. This year, they're making such an arrangement official.

Also, the sideline east sections aren't on the season ticket map and have no prices. I believe they're being turned into GA. If I remember the Kelly Weller meeting correctly, she was receptive to the GA idea, but couldn't change it for this past year since the year had already begun.

Of course, none of this addresses the real problem, which is that Wagner would rather pray for a Sigi-and-Schelotto sized miracle rather than invest the tiniest bit into making FCD a real big-league operation.

As long as the Hunts are happy with Wagner, there's only so much that can change, no matter how hard everyone wishes it otherwise.

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exchanging your season tickets "constantly" may work for you. But I think for most fans its too big a hassle.

The FlexiPass, on the other hand, is no hassle at all.

20. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    http://web.mlsnet.com/t104/tickets/season/index.jsp#partial

Flex Packages include 10 vouchers good for MLS Regular Season games and can be redeemed for the best available seat at the time of redemption.*

Flex Package benefits include:
    Discounted price off day of game
    Invite to Meet the Team Day
    Purchase priority on Pizza Hut Park special events**
    Flexibility of usage - you can use the tickets when it is most convenient for your schedule

Seats can begin to be redeemed once the MLS schedule is released. Flex Package vouchers can be redeemed over the phone through your Sales Representative or Customer Service, as well as at the Box Office prior to or on the day of a game.

21. shelbyg75

shelbyg75 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    As far as the east side being GA... i know they have the supporter's section which is basically GA. I had seats in one of the sections that is now listed as not being for sale, I was told I could keep my seat in that section if I wished, but they are trying to concentrate their STH into those 3 middle sections and the hype up the Group sales in those other section (also saving their STHs from being surrounded by a group)...

22. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Shocked.

Maybe the FCD FO has entered a new era. A new era of giving customers what they want rather than empty promises.

I will get a pack or two.

It is good to be back.

23. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Damned, the kids and wife just purchased my "surprise" Christmas gift. I guess I'll have to buy my own.

However, I hope that the FO markets the hell out of this great option.

24. satellitebob

satellitebob Member

Oct 4, 2004
    east oak cliff
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it seems the majority of groups out at php are kids soccer teams. are these the groups they are talking about selling to and putting in the GA side? you wouldn't want to market these sections as the fun loving GA sections then throw a bunch of u-10 kids with parents in there. you'll run into the playground/stage next to the inferno thing.
    I say bad words loud at games, that makes U-10ers stare.
    Is this what they're talking about or am I missing it? that's possible.

25. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    satbob - not exactly... the Inferno has moved from the corner by the stage (section 132) to the corner at the other end of the field (sections 120 and 121)

The GA seats are sections 121-112 (I think).

The groups will be sold to any group that wants to purchase.