General 2011-2012 NHL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Chacal, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I know we have individual team threads for a few clubs--SJ, Toronto, Washington, Winnipeg, NYI, etc.--but I'd like to create this thread as a place to discuss the rest of the league at large. I've really gotten into hockey since I purchased the Center Ice Package and starting watching about 1 game per night, but I generally watch Western Conference games simply because I'm from California and don't get home in time to watch the Eastern clubs play on most nights. :(

Anyway, just a few observations to start:

--Nashville signed Pekka Rinne to a 7yr/49M$ contract yesterday, and he rewarded them with a shutout in Phoenix. I definitely consider him to be one of the elite net-minders in the league, and a good goalie is vital to the Preds' success IMO since they struggle for offense on most nights. I guess the immediate question that comes to mind is whether or not they'll be able to re-sign both of their tremendous D-Men, Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, to long-term deals as well. My gut feels like Weber will move on after this year, but it is nice commitment by the organization to lock down Rinne IMO.

--Don't know if anyone has caught a Blackhawks game yet this year, but one thing that you'll immediately notice is that Patrick Kane has moved to center, off of Toews' line. Interesting move by Joel Quenville that has paid off so far with a lot of offensive production from the line of Kane, Hossa (RW) and Patrick Sharp (LW). Initially I think a lot of Chicago fans were concerned about Kane at C due to his lack of size and defensive abilities, but it obviously helps that Hossa is such a tremendous 2-way player, and basically their line usually dominates puck possession anyway. I'm sure we'll see Quenville shift his lines around as the season goes along, but right now Kane is must see TV for me.

--Detroit has lost 6 games in a row, which is surprising given how well they started the season. Obviously they're a veteran club that could easily turn things around, but they are really struggling to score right now, and lack of production from their wingers must be a major concern for Babcock. I guess Zetterberg was moved off of Datsyuk's line last night against Calgary, yet they still only scored 1 goal in that blowout loss to the Flames. So, I guess the question is, do Detroit's veteran's have any petrol left in the tank for another run at the Cup?

--Finally, how about Edmonton's impressive early start! I realize they've played a lot of home games, and of course it's highly unlikely that Ryan Smyth will continue to score at a point-per-game pace. However, this top line of Nugent-Hopkins, Hall & Eberle is tremendously fun to watch, and I don't see any reason why this club can't compete for a playoff spot this year.

2. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy game going on in Tampa tonight, Hawks and Bolts tied at 4 heading into the 3rd period. Stamkos already has a hat-trick, and this should be a fun last 20 minutes.

3. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a fluky 2nd period in Dallas, as the Stars score 4 unanswered goals to take a 4-2 lead, but then Colorado scores 2 very odd goals to tie it right before the break.

Matt Duchene was moved to left wing on Stastny's line and looks great tonight, by the way.

4. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Good thread idea, subs.

Feel free to cross-post items in the team threads and here.

6. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Seguin is really playing well for Boston and proving why he was the #2 pick last year behind Hall. I don't think they'll repeat as champs this year, but he'll probably rack up a lot of points.

7. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some of you guys must of scene or heard about what happen last night in Tampa with the Flyers refusing to play the puck while Tampa stayed back in their 1-3-1 system? I must say I never seen anything like this in all the times I have watched hockey but it was pretty brutal.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JBiEOhra7M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JBiEOhra7M[/ame]

8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    A delay of game penalty for both teams would solve this, make them play four on four, and even three on three if needed. That would put a stop to it.

9. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really seems like Columbus is the NHL's version of the Pittsburgh Pirates--sucky every season. They're by far the worst club in the league right now with only 5 pts gained out of 15 games, what a nightmare.

On a more positive note, it's nice to hear that Sidney Crosby is close to returning.

10. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a mess in Montreal, another loss tonight and Camalleri gets traded to Calgary.

11. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The best thing coming out of Montreal is Randy Cunningworths attempts at speaking French postgame:D

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's times like this when you realize that being a GM isn't all that difficult, they just keep hiring idiots.

13. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha has he already attempted to do this!? :eek: He must have learned a few phrases pretty quickly, I'd love to see the video of this.