General 2009-2010 Ligue 1 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by Pierre-Henri, Aug 14, 2009.

1. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So in other words, Auxerre is going to get wrecked in the big cup. Sigh.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I have only been following Ligue 1 for about 10 years but I do not remember Auxerre ever making any high profile signings. All they do is sell sell sell. The only "big signing" I can think of was when they got the Belgian League top scorer (Luigi Pieroni) but even he turned out to be a flop. Pedretti doesnt count because they only got him because he failed at 2 large clubs.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a laugh is badly needed today. repped!

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Well I was interested when they signed him because he was coming off a 28 goal season and I thought that was a pretty decent league but perhaps I overrated it a bit. I also was intrigued that he had an Italian name but was Belgian.

5. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I personally like this is a league were a small team who puts together a cohesive squad on a small budget and makes the most of it can make a title run rather than having clubs dominating by spendings tons of oil money from Russia or the Middle east. If that means Auxerre will go the champions league and get crushed then I'll live with it. My only issue with them is that I wished they were a bit better supported at home.

Personally I'd like to see Montpelier get the 3rd spot, it's a nice city, good stadium and I would like to see the club really catch some momentum to sustain their success.

Btw, talking about small clubs, how about AC Arles-Avignon potentially playing in Ligue 1 next season? The south shall rise again!

6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    BTW, another Bordeaux loss today. They had their year and a half of success. They dont seem like a club that can sustain success for a long period of time like other French teams have done before.

7. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They know Lolo is going to coach Les Bleus, he's lost the locker room.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ever heard of enzo scifo?

+1 and how.

hey, they get more people in the stadium than live in the whole town, and the surrounding countryside is real countryside. the nearest other population center is troyes which has their own club, and they're champenois, they're not going to support bourguignons. i imagine some people drive from dijon to watch AJA but this club has been punching far, FAR over their weight for 30 years. without malice i predict our children will know them as a national or CFA club.

also already punching too far over their weight. the club is really arlésien, they were only renamed arles-avignon last summer because they have to play in avignon, the nearest available stadium even remotely suited to L2, and absolutely inadequate for L1. even if they win another promotion on the field i seriously doubt they will play in the top level next year. note the DNCG refused to grant them pro status at first, i doubt they would OK promotion to L1. and if they did, the reasonable decision of ACA-A would be to demur. if outfitting their stadium for L1 is even possible it would be so costly as to put the perennity of the club in danger. they could play in nîmes but i doubt olympique would agree to that.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]
    gentlemen, your 15 minutes are up. ​

10. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Please no Paul Le Guen to replace Blanc at Bordeaux. Get a more offensive coach. Gerets would be better than PLG.

12. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Les palmares: (France Football)

Meilleur joueur de Ligue 1 : Lisandro Lopez (Lyon)

Meilleur espoir de Ligue 1 : Eden Hazard (Lille)

Meilleur gardien de Ligue 1 : Hugo Lloris (Lyon)

Meilleur entraîneur de Ligue 1 : Jean Fernandez (Auxerre)

Equipe-type de Ligue 1 : Lloris (Lyon) - Fanni (Rennes), S. Diawara (Marseille), Ciani (Bordeaux), Trémoulinas (Bordeaux) - Be. Cheyrou (Marseille), Gourcuff (Bordeaux) - Hazard (Lille), Lisandro (Lyon), Niang (Marseille) - Chamakh (Bordeaux)

Meilleur joueur de Ligue 2 : Olivier Giroud (Tours)

Meilleur gardien de Ligue 2 : Steeve Elana (Brest)

Meilleur entraîneur de Ligue 2 : Alex Dupont (Brest)

Equipe-type de Ligue 2 : Elana (Brest) - Daf (Brest), Leca (Caen), Baysse (Sedan), Tafforeau (Caen) - Grougi (Brest), Nivet (Caen), Hamouma (Laval) - Roux (Brest), Giroud (Tours), Modeste (Angers)

Meilleure joueuse : Eugénie Lesommer (Saint-Brieuc)

Meilleur arbitre : Stéphane Lannoy, assisté d'Eric Dansault et Laurent Hugo

Trophée d'honneur : Claude Makelele (Paris-SG)

Plus beau but de la saison en Ligue 1 : Mamadou Niang (Marseille) contre Montpellier (6e journée)

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the only trophy you can gainsay (as always) is plus beau but: it's decided by call-in or something and it will always go to the OM candidate. i'm not saying niang's goal wasn't great, it was, but that's almost beside the point.

just for fun i'd like to see what would happen if you put the sloppiest, luckiest marseille score up against the greatest goals in the history of the game: the OM goal would still get 60% of the vote.

14. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Stade Brestois 29 new logo
    [​IMG]

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Well I am disapointed that no Lille in the Champions League and no Bordeaux in the Europa League but other than that I'm satisfied.

16. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not bad. Maybe they can do something for Lorient too...:rolleyes:

17. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Montpellier in Europe. Two years ago, I was watching them lose to Ajaccio in Ligue 2 in front of 4000 fans. It was unthinkable then.It's astonishing now.

:)

18. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yea I'm disapointed in Lille as well. They are the better team, and better representation for France in the UCL. But they blew it, and gave les gones a chance to nab 2nd so I don't feel too bad. I'm hoping that Auxerre can at least get through the qualification stage.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I believe this Auxerre team is an older team than the last one that was in the Champions League. This team is led by older players like Pedretti, Jelen, Grichting while "old Auxerre" had a lot of young prospects who were highly rated. Even Jeremy Berthod is way past the "young prospect" stage at this point.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'm going to go out on a limb, and against my own wishes, and say that though lille would be a much sexier representative of french football, auxerre might surprise.

the only players i hear about leaving are niculae and jelen (pedretti won't leave, where else can he captain a side into the CL?). niculae they obviously need about as much as a hole in the head. jelen did great for them but with the money they will pick up a decent replacement (lluboja for example does the same thing as least as well) and a bit of depth too. so unlike lille, montpellier (or even perhaps marseille, let's wait and see) they're going to show up next year with more than just the ghost of this season's team.

what's more, as maddeningly boring as their style can be, it could very well wreak bloody havoc in a champion's group, and maybe into a KO round.

21. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Auxerre has the perfect team and tactic to knock out a bigger club has they have shown the whole year against the top 5 teams...

Far better than Toulouse for eg.

22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think this is wishful thinking on your guys part, They'll be lucky just making the group stages depending on who they're matched up with. That said I wish them the best.

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    wishful thinking? hardly on my part, i'd really rather see them fail just out of spite, i hate the way they play (i think they scored like 40 goals in 38 matches)... but among the top 6 mini-competition, which included 2 quarterfinalists from both european cups, they were champions!

24. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Nouveau Logo Fc Lorient
    [​IMG]

25. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Does France change its logos more than any other country ? It sure seems that way.