General 2009-2010 Ligue 1 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by Pierre-Henri, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Time to start the thread. I don't have allmighty mod privileges, so I can't stick the thread.

I start it on a rather sad note : the list of unemployed players, given by the UNFP (the players' union).

http://www.unfp.org/unfp/ce-que-nous-faisons/la-liste-des-joueurs-libres.html

Some known names on it : Ludovic Asuar, Jean-Michel Badiane, Djamel Belmadi, Bryan Bergougnoux, Eric Cubilier, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Jean-Christophe Devaux, Jeremy Gavanon, Vincent Hognon, Sylvain Legwinski (is he still playing ?), David Linares, Camel Meriem (?!?), Wilson Oruma, Fabrice Pancrate, Nicolas Savinaud, Jeff Strasser and Gregory Wimbée.

However, all the names on the list, known and unknown, deserve a little thought.

2. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Bergougnoux was picked up by Lecce today

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Darcheville signed with FC Nantes.

4. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Is Lille that bad or is Marseille really that good? les lillois were pathetic in the first half of their match, could barely get out of their half.

5. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Has someone warned the ligue 1 defences that the summer holidays are already over for them ! :eek:

Happy to see Darche at Nantes.

6. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm wondering if Garcia's plan was not to hold a draw until Hazard and Gervinho come into play in 2nd HT.

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    St. Etienne are the team in big trouble now. Another French team with limited funds. There's so many of them. I really wanted to see Jan Venegoor of Hesselink in Ligue 1 but he refused them. That Sanogo rumor was weeks ago and he still hasnt signed.

8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    St. Etienne finally signed Sanogo. Ive seen him play for Bremen and I like him and am looking forward to see if he does well in France.

9. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Montpellier 5 points from 3 matches, and really should have 7. Boy would it be something to stay up.

:)

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    The St. Etienne relegation watch starts now.

11. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    You know you are in trouble when you can't convince Jan Venegoor of Hesselink to sign for you.

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Well they got Sanogo who Id rather have then JVH and they are going to sign Diego Tardelli from Brazil. Im always skeptical of signing South Americans who have scored a ton of goals down there because theres always a chance they could flop in Europe.

13. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Better than signing a player who hasn't scored any lol. I'm expecting ASSE to drop this year, and hopefully Matuidi will jump ship before the window closes to the Arsenal.

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I'm excited about the deadline transfers. Where will Rothen and Valbuena go ? Will OL sign anyone ? Will Monaco finally sign a striker ?

15. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Am I the only person who doesn't understand the situation with Valbuena ? Always thought he played well for Marseille .:confused:

Anyway I think we're in for another exciting season , Lyon look so much better than last year , and at this moment are scoring loads of goals . Marseille have improved their squad so much , especially in defence and Bordeaux still looks strong from last season .

Montpellier beat Nice 0-3 , crazy result :eek: . They've started really well in Ligue 1 to be fair .

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I don't understand it either. I think in Dechamps plans he is a reserve and Valbuena wants to go somewhere where he can start. In my opinion he should be kept especially since Ben Arfa isnt even a sure thing and Id even sit him and start Matheiu if Ben Arfa doesnt start showing some consistancy. Valbuena isnt one of the highest paid on the team so to me its not so bad if he sits and doesnt play for now.

17. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Valbuena is an average L1 player and I don't think he's better than Mounier for e.g. but as he plays for Marseilles and and did score once against Liverpool he's vastly overrated by everyone including himself. :D

18. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Valbuena average L1 player ? That's abit too much .

19. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would say that Valbuena is slightly overated. He has some good games, but all in all he's just not that impressive of a player. Just works hard.

20. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bordeaux Marseille was a decent match despite the score line. I can't believe Blanc left Cavenaghi on the bench. I still think he's too conservative as a manager. Despite OM hitting the woodwork two times, I think Bordeaux was the better team throughout the match. Gourcuff played a couple of real nice balls in, and Bordeaux had some real good chances. I thought OM was way too sloppy, gonna need to work on that, if they want to do something in europe or win the title.

21. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was watching the wk 4 review show and I nocticed that Montpeiler looked real good against Nice last week. Has anyone seen them play this year? If they can continue that level of play the could easily avoid the drop. Sochaux look much the improved team as well. Is it me or does the league seem a bit faster this year and the tackling a bit harder? It's as if someone gave ligue 1 some amphetamines to start the season.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    run, run, run. fall down holding head. more running. a quick dribble around a player with the ball going just into touch. fall down and hold head again. run and run and run some more. back pass. fall down. hold head. PUT A SCREAMER INTO THE NET AT ANFIELD! run, fall, hold head. cross to third post. run, run, run. get another outside shot voted goal of the year by OMbecile ballot box stuffers. hold head. fall. run and run... etc, etc, repeat ad infinitum, ad nauseum (except the anfield part)

23. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's fine if he accepts the role that he's being given now (although he'll probably end up playing more now that Kone's hurt). He's probably not a good player to rely on too heavily, as he certainly does have numerous deficiencies, but he's a nice player to have in the squad.

24. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And to top it off he loves to dive, so that's an added bonus ;). Took a nice one against les girondins, too bad it didn't fool M. Gautier

25. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he genuinely gets fouled a half decent amount because of his style, and then he also goes down easily because of his size, but yes, he certainly dives a lot. It is one of his better skills. Well, if you include the acting after the dive. ;)