General 2007/2008 Ligue 1 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by Douai, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    I think we should have a thread where we can discuss Ligue 1 in general, as well as the league table, and clubs that aren't represented with their own forum or own thread.

Première Journée Matches

1ère Journée - Samedi 4 août 2007
    Strasbourg - Marseille 17:10
    Bordeaux - Lens 20:00
    Caen - Nice 20:00
    Lille - Lorient 20:00
    Monaco - Saint Etienne 20:00
    Paris SG - Sochaux 20:00
    Rennes - Nancy 20:00
    Valenciennes - Toulouse 20:00
    1ère Journée - Dimanche 5 août 2007
    Le Mans - Metz 18:00
    Lyon - Auxerre 21:00

Televised Matches
    Ligue 1 Orange - 1ère Journée CANAL +
    Strasbourg - Marseille 04/08 - 17:10
    Lyon - Auxerre 05/08 - 21:00
    Ligue 1 Orange - 1ère Journée CANAL + SPORT
    Le Mans - Metz 05/08 - 18:00

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Re: General 2007/2008 Ligue 1 Discussion

I dont understand why Le Mans-Metz is a televised matched. Very few are gonna watch that. Should be showing Bordeaux-Lens or Monaco-St.Etienne instead,

3. Chims

Chims Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Oreland, PA

do they usually only televise Sunday matches?

4. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Hmmm, I know there likely will be another thread on this, but I thought I'd make my picks now to generate some more discussion here.

Marseille at Strasbourg
    PICK: OM, they have too much quality to think otherwise. Strasbourg are a young team with bright days ahead, but l'OM are significantly better at almost every area, so it'd be hard to go against them winning here.

Lens at Bordeaux:
    PICK: I think this will be the game of the week, and I think it'll be a draw. A hugely intriguing matchup between the rookie manager Laurent Blanc and the veteran of all veterans, Guy Roux. It also involves two quality teams on paper, anyway.

Nice at Caen:
    PICK: This matchup looks a draw, as I think Caen will have difficulty scoring against Lloris, and Nice hardly looks a huge offensive threat. Both teams have had decent offseasons, one would think, so hopefully the game turns a good one, though I think a draw is more likely.

Lorient at Lille:
    PICK: Lille, as even though Lille have lost a lot this offseason (both Bodmer and Keita, mainly), Lorient aren't exactly an imposing opponent. Even though Makoun is out for this game, Lille have enough in their midfield in Debuchy, Cabaye, Michel Bastos and Dumont to be victorious in this one.

Saint-Etienne at Monaco
    PICK: Monaco, as ASM should be motivated to prove what they've got, and despite losing two of their best players in Touré/Givet, they should have enough to win against Saint-Etienne. L'ASSE have also lost two of their best guys in Sablé/Zoumana Camara, though the additions of Payet, Tavlaridis, Matuidi and Gigliotti appear to be helpful.

Sochaux at PSG
    PICK: PSG, as they have looked very good in friendlies, and they've had a decent offseason, getting young solid guys like Digard. On the other hand, Sochaux have injury issues, as Dalmat, Bréchet, Birsa and Daf are all out for this game.

Nancy at Rennes
    PICK: Rennes, as playing at home and with a solid defense (Mensah, Edman, Hansson, Fanni, with keeper Pouplin), they should be able to beat a Nancy side that has done nothing this offseason except lose guys (though that appears typical regrettably these days).

Toulouse at Valenciennes:
    PICK: Call me crazy, but I think Valenciennes will actually be able to hold Toulouse to a draw, though I can't see them winning. If anyone watched Guadeloupe in the Gold Cup, one would have seen a quite impressive David Sommeil, who joins Valenciennes just in time to go against Elmander. Toulouse may be downbeat after getting a hugely difficult draw in the Champions League, so that should also be to the advantage of Valenciennes.

5. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis

Depends really.

6. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis

Can a mod please add [R] to the thread title?

7. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.

Opening game of the season : a locked-up, defensive 0-0. The ligue 1 spirit is back.

8. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis

Valenciennes is #1 for a day it seems:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/CLA_D1.html

9. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis

From the "which league was the most entertaining?" thread.

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003

Valenciennes destroying Toulouse was obviously the biggest surprise on match day 1.

11. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Nancy is right where we expected after our riveting off season recrutment. The likes of Jean Michel Castenyat operating the lawn mower, and the Polish sensation Piotr Garbowitz handling the facility services. These guys have a lot to prove, but I'm confident that we've brought in the right blokes.

The results clearly reflect that our transfer policy is nothing short of..... gold plated dynamite as Guignol would say.

12. toulousain

toulousain Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Toulouse, France
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Good for the confidence before Lyon and Liverpool...

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

it's kind of the other way around; the matches that are going to be televised are moved to sunday. but i don't know why C+ does it that way.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

can do!

15. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Let's start the discussion with the true question : will Lyon be champion this season ? I wonder. Really. Don't know. Can't imagine. The suspense will probably kill me.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, let me think about that just a min...

YES!

17. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Can anyone find odds on ligue 1 winners? Im curious to see how much Lyon is favored by and who else is up there.

18. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    According with BWin, OL chances are valued at 1.35 for 1; Marseille 8.00; Bordeaux 12.00; PSG 15.00; Lens 26.00; Monaco and Lille 34.00.

And if you bet 1 euro on Caen and if they are French Champion, you'll win 1001 euros. :D

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's the easiest 1€ i ever made! :p

20. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So that means if you bet 1.35 euros on lyon you only get 1 euro back?? lol

21. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    I personally think all this "new suspense" is artificially generated. Every 2 years or so when Lyon loses a couple of players, the media tries to make us believe that this is the year. Granted there's probably going to be more suspense, and I doubt the guys in white will be able to get away with half @ssing it throughout the second half of the season like they did last year. But I'm not buying into it.

That said, if anyone's going to dethrone them, it won't be a team playing champions league football imho. :D

BTW I'd really like to find a list of the players who have left lyon each year since the start of the streak, just for information. Anyone can help me out?

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  23. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
  24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Bordeaux look good so far. I think they will finish 2nd. Lens I pick for 3rd. Marseille 4th. Toulouse 5th.

25. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think it's too early to tell, although very much to my pleasure, Bordeaux have been terrific thus far, despite going with a lineup that I'd much disagree with (I don't think Jemmali, Marange or even Jûssie should start). I think that Lens-PSG tonight will say much about those teams.