Gelsenkirchen

Discussion in 'Germany' started by comme, Nov 22, 2004.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Sorry to ask some really stupid questions.

How big a place is this? I have looked on maps and in books about Germany and cannot find it in any of them. how is it able to support as big a club as Schalke?

2. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    It's part of Germany's biggest urban agglomeration. There are approximately 7 million people living in the area I believe, although their loyalties are divided between Dortmund, Bochum, Duisburg and to a lesser extent Oberhausen, Rot-Weiss Essen, etc. Plus it is a very working-class area. Tons of potential for fan support.

3. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    The Ruhrpott is the most heavily industrialised area in Germany, and as you said with a population to match.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I realise that but why is Gelsenkirchen not on any maps? Is there a comparable city in the UK?

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    http://www.isoplan.de/aid/2003-4/stadtportrait.htm

According to this link Gelsenkirchen had a population of 274,326 on September 30, 2003. Probably you can't find it on a map because there are a lot of decent sized cities in immediate area (Essen, Dortmund, Oberhausen) and they don't all fit on the map at the same time.

6. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    The towns in the Ruhr area growed in the era of industrialization in the 19 th century in a explosive way. So today you have all the seperate towns but each town assimilates to the neighbour town, no countrysides between them, if you would change the political structure it would be like a 8,5 million metropole with some quarters.

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Plus, don't ask me why, but it is very common in germany that ppl don't support a local team (maybe because there is no local team successfull) but another team, and it goes beyond glory hunting. Look at Mönchengladbach, it is a city of 200 000 inhabitants or so and they attrackt more fans to their games than Hannover 96 for example does (500 000 plus 500 000 in the Region plus another million in the nearer cities and only two real competors: Wolfsburg and Brunswick). Gladbach is near Cologne where you have the FC Köln being a big club, than Duisburg, Aachen, Fortuna Köln, Leverkusen, and the Rurhpott clubs like Dortmund, Bochum, Schalke, Düsseldorf, ...
    I think Gladbach is when it comes to popularity somewhere in the top 5 or so..
    (Bayern, Schalke, Dortmund, Gladbach I'd say)

8. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I suspect many of Gladbach's fans are from Düsseldorf. Wouldn't surprise me if they were more popular in Düsseldorf than Fortuna!

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  10. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
  11. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    http://www.schwatzgelb.com/fanservice/guestguide.htm3 (scroll down)

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

I didn't realize that Hagen and Hamm were in the "Pott". I travel through there on the train every year on business. I guess you learn something new every day. Probably would be a good idea for me to look at a map every once in a while.

13. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Hmmm, normally the "Ruhr Valley" is defined as the region between Lippe (North) and Ruhr (South). As Hagen lies at the Southern shores of Ruhr it is actually not part of the "Ruhrpott" but of course part of the metropolitan area. Same goes for Hamm.

14. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Still a lot of heavy industry, such as steel and coal????

How is the employment rate here compared to other regions? Sorry for the questions--they just popped into my head. :rolleyes:

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Gotcha. I guess I didn't even realize it was anywhere near the Ruhr Valley.

By the way, where or what is Chancellorville? It sounds more like a U.S. Civil War battle than a town in Germany.

16. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, schröder, our chancellor, is from hannover, we cal ousrelf Kanzlerstadt, Chancelortown, sometimes... Jonam?

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    That's actually what I was thinking, but I didn't want to sound like an idiot in case that's not where Jonam is from! :D

18. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Hehehe...let's say chancellorville since 1991. Berlin that is. ;-)

(edit: plus I was born and grew up where Schröder was born and grew up...in Eastern Westphalia...so chancellor Schröder would also match. (;-)

http://www.blomberg-lippe.de/stadt/art/stadt_anreise01.gif

My hometown is where the plane is, Schröder was born in Mossenberg(Blomberg))

19. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, i go to the same university as he did. Just wanted to say something, too :D

Not nearly as important as it was a few decades ago. The entire German coal industry isn't that important anymore (there are less than 70.000 people working there in the entire country, iirc).
    The unemployment rate in Gelsenkirchen is quite high. I'll check the statistics (they are somewhere on the web).

20. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Unemployment rates (October 2004, unless stated otherwise):

Ruhr area 12,5 %
    Gelsenkirchen 20,3 %
    -----------
    Germany 10,1 %
    (West) Germany 8,0 % (2003)
    (East) Germany 18,5 % (2003)

21. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Ups, there are two planes. So my place was west of Paderborn.

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks for all the responses. It seems strange that the guidebooks don't even mention a city of a quarter of a million people.

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WOW! I'm shocked at this statement. Not that I don't believe you, but have never seen a Gladbach supporter on here. I know the few times that I have seen them in the USA on FSW, their stadium was packed.

24. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They were successfull in the 60s and 70s I think, so today only locals start supporting them. But from ancient times they have a lot fans I think...

25. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    As stated Gladbach has massive support due to their hyper-successful era in the 70's.

Support ranking (until PileD enters this thread ;-) would be:

1. Bayern
    2. Dortmund
    3. Schlacke
    4. Difficult to say. There are teams some like Gladbach, Bremen and Hamburg. IMHO Gladbach is No.4