Geiger on AFC CL

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Oct 19, 2018.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    It's interesting to reread your analysis back then :)

"I’d wager “yet to be determined referee” is Joel Aguilar’s alias. First, I think Hall has arranged this and he likes both Irmatov and Aguilar. Second, the AFC semis are in the midst of MLS playoffs. There’s also a chance that Geiger starts to stand down from assignments like this soon after this WC, as he won’t be eligible for 2022. Kuipers has already indicated he’ll do something similar (not necessarily retire, however) to make way for Makkelie. It would make sense for Geiger to give others (Villarreal... possibly Elfath) a path toward the top of Concacaf."

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be right in principle, but wrong in practice.

The Marrufo appointment for the CWC does seem to confirm Geiger is giving way for the future. Perhaps this AFC assignment is more of an international competitive swan song with the whistle for Geiger? Although my guess is he stays on the list to continue his development as a VAR instructor.

The thing I didn’t see coming was the universal recognition that Aguilar was poor at the WC. If Aguilar was offered, why would AFC want him when they could have Geiger or Ramos? Sort of like how CONCACAF likely wouldn’t take Irmatov right now.

The other thing I didn’t see coming was Marrufo going to and doing well at Russia. If Geiger is giving way, it’s to him now—not to Elfath or Villarreal.

4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Really? He had 11 matches at the World Cup (two more than anyone else in the history), 5 AFC Referee of the Year awards, and his performance in America - Toronto was beyond reproach... ;)

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think CONCACAF wants Faghani or Irmatov?

It’s hard to understate the hit Irmatov’s reputation took based on his WC performance and how he handled it. Add in the fact that a different Asian referee excelled in most people’s eyes and it becomes pretty easy.

Still “take” is probably the wrong verb. Should have said “want.” If Irmatov was the only available ref offered for such an exchange, fine. But if CONCACAF had a choice tomorrow, the choice should be and I think would be Faghani.

6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Agreed with this part. Don't know if Irmatov's reputation took such a big hit -- no scandal came out of it, and I'm not sure too many people still remember outside of referee forums.

7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Dang...anytime someone mentions Irmatov I immediately associate him with the '06 "Massacre of Nuremburg". Of course, after double checking....again, it was Ivanov. :oops:

I've got to stop doing that! :coffee:

8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Did anyone watch this? 3-3 draw and 6-5 aggregate scoreline. Curious how Geiger did.

IASocFan repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longest highlights package I could find:

Seems like a fun match. Nothing overtly controversial shown and the first goal was a good decision by Anderson. I also wonder if this is the first time Geiger has worked with AARs.