Gedion Zelalem: Rangers vs Airdrieonians

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by bballshawn, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D:D:D

2. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in both matches he's played with the Arsenal U21's and now Rangers he has scored or assisted :D

3. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 assists for Gedion now

4. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    what i miss?

5. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't really a spectacular play by Zelalem, he got the ball about 30 yards from goal and turned from the defender and layed it off to a teammate in stride who had some nice footwork to get past a defender and put the shot in the back of net.

6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    oh i missed the pass i saw the finish.

7. oliveandblue

oliveandblue Member

Jul 7, 2015
    United States
    Club:
    DC United
    Bears' Den match thread is a very happy place right now. Rangers fans are delighted with the kid. If he puts in a few more of those performances they'll have songs for him.

Gacm32, wixson7, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Solid debut. first assist was very nice, second was just a nice layoff and hard to call an assist. What I liked was that he won a number of 50/50 balls in the middle, and then made a good pass or move out of pressure to secure possession. Mostly he just helped move the ball along, but still solid considering hes practiced with the team twice, and the other team parked the bus.

Gacm32 repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Not sure i agree with that description. It was a great ball that threaded 2 defenders. Laid off would be more like the square pass he played on the 2nd goal.

:22 of the clip..

Testudo and Gacm32 repped this.
  10. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does look more difficult on that rewind than what I thought it was. I blame the bad stream.

wixson7 repped this.
  11. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance we can get a compilation of all of his touches?

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

nealesk repped this.
  13. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm completely serious.

Look at the fricking roster for the friendlies, you don't think he has a place on the team? He possess ability and skills that no other player in the pool right now could dream of. That's the truth of the matter

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I do not.

Julian Green was a mistake, not a precedent. His play since then proves the mishit goal was a fluke.

15. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Honestly, I'm beginning to think Green was exploited by Bayern and Klinsy to garner attention, grow the brand, and now he's suffering from an expanded ego that could approach Adu. He doesn't deserve to be brought into this discussion, as it wasn't his fault. It should be common sense that a player in the 2nd division of Scotland shouldn't be called up to the NT (he may prove himself at a higher level, but he hasn't yet) which should be the same viewpoint of a 4th German division player.

You should check out MLS some time. I'm not a fanatic for Benny, but he's doing a solid GZ impression over 24 games in at least a comparable league. GZ needs to prove himself at the U23 level and at a better club team before a call is warranted.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't think Green's goal was a mistake. I think it was a superb shot, maybe one he will never again repeat in his career, but an honestly good one.

Poor kid.

INKRO, Winoman and Gacm32 repped this.
  17. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I never mentioned Julian Green. I agree with you about Mr. Green. I think JK should've taken LD over him...

I watch the MLS and I'm a big fan of Benny. I think not utilizing Benny has been one of JK's greatest faults!

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Benny couldn't cut the hamburger!

I crack me up.

But seriously, judging a young player based on what league he plays in is stupid - esp if it is before he makes his first big transfer. Is Yedlin Fall 2015 better (or worse) than Yedlin Spring 2015 because he plays in the "EPL" vs. MLS? He is exactly the same player. Guys like Gedion, Green, Woods, Rubin - they play where they can get a decent deal and don't always the have the option of "league shopping." The important thing, of course, is what they do in the league they are in.

19. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree with most of your points, but we can all agree that GZ's current play can only prove an increase in club competition is necessary, but not consistent Nat call ups as of yet, especially for competition games.

Also, the lack of consistent play for these 6 months may have decreased Yedlin's ability for now, but that's too early to be certain and this isn't the thread to discuss it.