Gazzamania

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mcontento, Jul 27, 2002.

1. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to first mention that I've been more in the wait and see camp on Gazza. I know he has quite a checkered history, and he could be either a godsend or a monumental bust. But this isn't about if he'll be good on the field but more about the excitement I've seen about his arrival.

I was just noticing that there were no less than 11 threads dedicated to the man, the legend that is Gazza. Additionally, we've had probably about 10-15 new posters to the DC United forum, and most of us are definitely charged up about him (good or bad). Really he's become our own version of Landon Donovan for the 'quakers.

Along with the extra attention to him on our forum alone, I've noticed a lot how Gazza is bringing attention to the league in general. Its like a media circus, even our USMNT players returning home didn't bring this kind of attention to MLS, as the focus was mostly on their exploits in Korea. This time, it is all about the league, and our team. I'd even go so far as to say he could even rate some Sportcenter coverage on his signing or debut. Not to mention i'm sure a lot of brits will be wearing black and red kits next year which is good for the bottom line.

Gazza could be very good for MLS...and I am getting into Gazzamania.

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was cool seeing Gazza & DC United on Sky Sports News, last night. Whether he makes it or not, DC United & MLS are getting a lot of publicity in the UK and Europe. And as a Hollywood agent once said, "Even bad publicity is, still, publicity."

That being said, if he is signed, I pray that the result is a "Stoichkov" kind of signing - not a "Lothar" kind.

Winoman

3. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Constantly hurt, and otherwise diving?

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Gazzamania-I got it.

Have you got yours?

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Gazzamania is spreading...

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Putz.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Interesting to see, here on the DC United boards, the Fire and Metrostars fans exchange a little friendly fire before the game! ;):D