Gazza to get League Max?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Detective40oz, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Read in another thread that if Gazza was to sign it would be for the league max $260,000. With a prorated $80,000 for this year. Now who are we going to have to drop next year in order to make this work? Is this worth it? I thought we wbere getting him fairly cheap, league max is not cheap by MLS Standards. Isn't there younger, cheaper talent available?

2. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Noooooooooooo!

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take that with a grain of salt, since the only source I've seen was usssocceruk.com by Chris Bergin, late of teamtalk, known to print less than hard facts.

I'll more likely believe the word from Goff and others that a contract would be for a modest base salary with lot's of incentive based payments...

And who could be going? Etcheverry...riding off into the sunset

4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it was reported in SoccerTimes:

http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2002/jul30.htm

"If Hudson and United technical director Dave Kasper make the decision they want Gascoigne, the league office would have to sign off on the deal. Reportedly, the financial details have already been worked out for a contract running through the end of 2003, which would pay the player the league maximum of $260,000 next season and a pro-rated portion for the remainder of this year, approximately $80,000, maybe even less. "

5. cdunnington

cdunnington New Member

Jul 30, 2001
  6. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    PLease tell me this isn't true. I don't think spending the max for Gazza is a good idea.

7. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Etch would have to go. His comments about United "needing" Gazza may be more then a little prophetic.

TS.

8. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    You can keep etch if you want there is plenty of dead wood on the team.

9. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I see it this way.....

We suck right now, period. When Mr. Pope is put into a match on offense late in a match where we shoulda spanked the other guy?? We need a fire lit under our ass.

Enter Gazza!! I for one (and am probably in the minority) welcome Big Paul to our fold, and hope he lights the league up!! In goals scored that is.

10. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Gazza wouldn't earn anywhere near the league maximum.

11. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought those seemed like some pretty damn salty peanuts.

12. jsantarita

jsantarita Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Maybe it is true but I for one don't believe in that fictionc alled maximum league salary. i mean can anyone believe that mathaus came here to earn 260 grand?
    It is a sham. They can pay him that as they could pay him two million if they so wished. Who knows if the details ofare always kept secret? Is NE revolution under the salary cap? i would love to see that....
    it is a Sham. you know... Major League Sham.

13. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less?!?!?... or More?!?!?

TS.

14. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    much, much less than the alleged mls maximum. money is not the issue for gazza at this point in his career.

15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh get over it, already. There is a cap and, as we know, there are ways around it, if the league really wants a player. But calling the cap a sham is just stupid. I mean, Hudson has said numerous times that the cap is real, very real. Sorry, but if I have to chose between believing Ray or you on this issue, I'm going with Hudson.

As usual, what we don't know far exceeds what we do know regarding this issue in MLS.

- There's a player's salary which, I believe, cannot be greater than $260,000.
    - There are transfer fees the league sometimes pay. We've heard that MLS paid $4 million for Hernandez. Remember, the player gets a piece of that fee. Currently, though, MLS has pretty much said that it is only willing to pay very small transfer fees (under $100,000, if I remember correctly).
    - Then there are other ways of compensating a player.

It's that last category about which we know almost nothing. MLS bought Jorge Campos a Ferrari; paid the $9,000/month rent for Lothar's Manhattan penthouse. Signing bonuses? Performance bonuses? Delayed salary payments? Leaue negotaited sponsorship deals? Who knows? These kinds of things are done in other leagues, too, that have caps, why should MLS be any different?

Personally, I think the cap was more of an illussion a few years ago. But the league seems to have gotten serious about getting a handle on its expenes in recent years: it no longer pays big transfer fees, buys expensive cars for players, nor has it brought in a "big-name foreign star" in a while. I am sure that it finds ways to compensate a small number of players in this league so that they end up bringing in more than $260,000 in cash each year, but I think that this is the exception and that there aren't any millionaires in MLS.

I guess that what I'm saying is that I do not beleive that MLS lets the Revs or MetroStars spend $2.5 million on player salaries while limiting DC United to $1.7 million.