Gazza going home empty-handed.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by BallStateMiddie, Jul 31, 2002.

1. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
  2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he is going home. Read the Washington Posts article about it. Looks like all of the roadblocks are gone and a decision will be made by Ray/DCU in 48 hours.

james

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this seems to be the Gazza thread with the most recent updates, here's the Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23780-2002Jul30.html

In that article, and the one in SoccerTimes, there are two important pieces of information, IMO.

First, in the Post article, Hudson says:

'the league "hasn't interfered to this point and I don't expect them to," he said. "At the end of the day, it's my decision. I'll be held fully accountable."'

And the article goes on to say:

"Hudson's statement that it is United's decision "sounds consistent with the teams' collective wishes for holding responsibility and accountability for their competition-related and player personnel decisions," MLS spokesman Trey
    Fitz-Gerald said. "It's part of our evolution as a league.""

Sounds like obtaining a discovery pick isn't as important as it appeared to be a day or two ago.

Now, far more shocking to me is what's included in the SoccerTimes article:

http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2002/jul30.htm

"If Hudson and United technical director Dave Kasper make the decision they want Gascoigne, the league office would have to sign off on the deal. Reportedly, the financial details have already been worked out for a contract running through the end of 2003, which would pay the player the league maximum of $260,000 next season and a pro-rated portion for the remainder of this year, approximately $80,000, maybe even less. "

League max!!!???? This is what Hudson considers the "price of the salt on the
    peanuts?"

I've been mildly against the Gazza signing to this point, mostly because I don't think he'd add much to the league on the pitch. But previous reports had said he'd come to MLS on the cheap. Sorry, but a league max salary ain't cheap, by my way of looking at it. I simply cannot imagine DC United signing Gascoigne through next season at such a salary. Something would have to give considering the salaries that Etcheverry, Pope and Moreno must be earning on this team already, and what guys like Olsen, Convey, Quranta and Rimando will be asking for the next time their contracts come up for renegotiation.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be almost disapponted at this point if he doesn't sign.

After years of seeing all the Gazza to MLS rumors, her he is. And then nothing - because of a Discovery Pick.

5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Etch, at least is probably retiring, which would free up some money. If one of the Pope/Olsen/Convey/Quaranta bolts overseas, there's a little more room.

Not that I consider Gazza the best use of money either, mind you.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you against it as an MLS fan, or a DC fan?

If you're against it as an MLS fan, I'm going to assume that the league is going to make up that quarter mil on increased TV rights fees for England. A few times over. So financially, it makes sense for MLS.

If you're against it as a DC fan, well, then your ire should be directed toward Ray and DC's GM, who are mismanaging the salary cap. Just like a Philadelphia fan taking a position on the Scott Rolen trade.

7. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    260,000 dollars is cheap for a player like Gazza in the world of soccer. Yes it is the max salary in MLS but it's all relative. Hopefully they could make up that amount of money through attendance and tv.
    And I agree with those who would be disapointed if it suddenly falls through now.

8. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Good points. But I'd like to also add that I don't understand how DC fans can be against it. The way we're playing now I don't know how he could make us worse.

Signature - I'm a cheap bastard

9. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Oh my Gazza!

Please, don't mortgage our team for league maximum salary.

This isn't a deal for league maximum.

Give him the $100K that represents Mike "I'm not going to play this year but I want to get paid anyway" Amman represents in our salary cap, but not league maximum.

Argh.

That means that we would have to lose a high-priced player next year to keep Gazza. Of course, our high-priced players haven't looked that good this year.

Of course, neither have our low-priced players or medium-priced players.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave:

Probably more from DC's perspective (I'm not really a fan of United).

I also don't quite buy the notion that MLS will rake in millions in English TV rights. Could be, I suppose. But check out the Channel 5 website sometime:

http://www.channel5.co.uk/

Click on Sports and what do you see? Tabs for the NHL, MLB and NFL, that's what. No mention of MLS whatsoever. To find out what MLS match is on you need to go to What's On.

Maybe there is this pent up demand for MLS coverage in England but, frankly, I have a hard time believing it. And, frankly, I've never heard anything about MLS selling overseas broadcast rights for any meaningful amount of money.

11. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Exactly, we can't get any worse.

12. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that it is pretty obvious that the League/DCU is waiting until the All Star/Break Focus to make an announcement.

Where is the All Star Game again? Oh, how convenient!

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Wasn't Gazza offered something like $300,000 to play in a couple of matches in Australia earlier this year or late last year? Somehow I seem to remember something like that. $250,000 per year is dirt cheap for someone of Gazza's reputation.

14. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    funny you should mention reputation. As in repute.

But, I think he'll sign and I think that's good. I happen to think that he'll find out what Lothar found out...players in the US have little regard for you when you step on the field. A 23 year old Ryan Suarez doesn't care who you are. If you think you can be a drunk fat bas%tard and play in MLS you have no clue.

It will work out one of two ways.

One, he'll play well and contribute, and tell the world that MLS isn't the Premiership, but it's good for seven years old with no reserve system.

Or two, he'll get chewed up and spit out, blame MLS for being too low a quality when actually he's too far gone to compete and the game in MLS doesn't fit his style, and MLS will be out a grand total of 350,000 dollars, cheap compared to so many other wash-outs.

It's not like DC is going to ruin team chemistry. From what I've seen they have none.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Lothar pay for himself in this way?

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes. Channel 5 or someone else in England will pick up DC United matches. They probably will get higher ratings over there than they do on Comcast.

And I'm sure some idiot over there will try to start a movement to call up Lazo Alavanja for the Engerland side. ;)

Sachin

17. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    On the other hand, isn't sending Gazza home a wonderful opportunity for all you lot to poke us Euro-snobs in the eye? I mean, we get endless crap when we point out that the MLS can't be that good if it still needs to resort to signing over-the-hill, 35 year old Brits, so maybe now this is your time to say "we've grown up. We've had a close look and we've realised that this is no longer the sort of player we need to make our league successful." Gazza would be nothing more than a one night stand for you. A quick orgasm if you're lucky, followed by fifteen months of wondering why you did it the next morning.

18. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    That's pretty funny. I agree with the guy who said that after all this buildup it'll be a letdown if he doesn't sign. Also, just a point of interest as far as the salary goes. Remember that he'll also have all the outside incomes that MLS sets up for its big-name players to supplement income. Not that it's necessarily going to be a further drain on MLS, just thought it was worth noting.

19. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    I doubt the Anglophiles will ever give us credit for our league and Nats. Increased viewership won't mean more dollars for the league since ESPN International shows the games anyway. Looks like the league pulled a washington trick dating back to the Bull Moose party, a filibuster. Whatever works. Now lets focus on bringing in younger more deserving players. Overpaying has been stars crippled the NASL. We don't need bad guys like Fat Boy Blunder ruining our league.

20. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

For some reason, I'm thinking that this was Cantona???

21. garrettxxx

garrettxxx New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Virginia
    I think Gazza's impact on league attendance will be minimal at all. Most americans don't know about him, so he isn't going to draw out johnny baseball-fan. I would think that most euros living over here that know about him are not going to go see "inferior" soccer just because an old star is playing. Their certainly wan't a big jump for Lothar. A few more people will probably come out, but I don't think MLS is going to make back his salary with the extra money from the gate (a lot of which doesn't go to MLS anyway).

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    the real question - which i have not yet seen answered here - is:

how did gazza do in the training sessions?

that's the question i'm fascinated by. i don't think that gazza is good for this league. i'm glad he's gone home, and i'm hoping that that means that even as a much slimmer, fit, midthirties former england superstar, gazza cannot cope with mls.

but i may be wrong. i'll sit and wait.

23. FigoB1

FigoB1 New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Virginia
    Okay, so NOW what's the over/under on how it'll take United to score again? I don't know my historical stats very well, but is it possible that DC could wind up w/ the fewest goals ever scored during a season?

24. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    This is a sad sad day for American soccer.
    no cheers