Gazza decision

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by writered21, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Re: Yeah, Baby

I was excited that he had NOT signed until I read this...

Then I realized why DC SHOULD have signed him. Oh, yea...Dante will generate excitement for a DC team in the bottom of the table.

And I'm a Dante FAN. I like Dante, but compared to Paul Gascoigne? At least it would have generated SOME excitement beyond the MLS-player-go-round.

On the upside, it does mean that Hudson, for whatever reason, didn't think someone of his talent would help enough to take the risk. That's not trivial to me.

Special Insight: The Burn traded away Graziani to off-load a player at max salary, in order to improve the team. Signing Gazza would have eliminated whatever cap room you were planning to use to rebuild the rest of the team. I suspect that was the big issue.

2. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Not surprised at all. Of course, I wouldn't have been surprised if they signed him either. I'm rather ambivalent about Gazza. Yes, he's better than some of the team, but who knows how he would have actually worked out. Maybe it was the drinking and smoking on Saturday night and Ray didn't decide to risk it. Perhaps his comments about not wanting the limelight were more true than he let on and decided that if he played for DC, he would again be in the forefront of journalists minds. Perhaps Gazza got really offended when I called him Mr. Gascoigne and Ray took to heart my comment about "there are no sacred cows on this team after 3 seasons of crap!" Maychance Gazza didn't like driving on the wrong side of the road and have people tell him about lines and trunks and other sundry American terms...

Good luck Paul, and it was very cool to have met you on Saturday! Now I have a true rarity - a DC Jersey signed by Paul Gazza Gascoigne!

3. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    DC doesn't need excitement. They need guys who can put the ball in the net. Gazza, while he is many things, is not a goalscorer. I'm content enough with a midfield comprised of Etch and Convey and RW and the likes for the time being. I am not content with a front line of Q2 + Curtis/Lassiter. I know we have Moreno and Q1, but they've played a combined 2.64 minutes this season. Dante would help in that regard, especially if the price is giving up Namoff, who I like, but is being crowded out of a mediocre-at-best midfield.

4. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article mentioned that they will break off negotiations for the remainder of THIS season. That doesn't say anything about next season or perhaps that's just me putting a positive spin on our final nail in this seasons coffin.

TS.

5. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    United's loss.

6. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Once more DC United and MLS come off as bush league amateurs... I am surprised they didn't announce this by "webcast". --Maybe they can figure out what we REALLY need in the last few months of watching us suck ass... I hope they are just decent enough to keep it to themselves until it happens.

7. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my theory is:

we suck. we would probably continue to suck either way. i saw no harm, since he seemed to show up in shape and ready to play.

oh well.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Boy, this whole thing sure was stupid. :rolleyes:

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    What whole thing? ;)

10. bware

bware New Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Has anybody seen reaction from the international press yet? I'm dreading it...

11. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how Gazza will spin this to the English press. Imagine the tabloids. "Even the silly American league didn't want him!"

12. bware

bware New Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Oh, I believe the British press will be far more critical of US soccer than Gazza.

13. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    I just went to read sports section of The Times, and it merely states the facts as we have been told them. It says that the "proposed move fell through", and then quotes ray's comments. Not big news in England at all, but that is not really a surprise as the season is about to start there.

14. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My main concern is if this is being done so that we can go out and get another forward.

If so, I think that's highly shortsighted. When healthy, we have Q1, Q2 and Moreno. That's a quality forward corps. Yeah, two of them aren't healthy RIGHT NOW, but what happens if we add (somehow?) a quality forward instead of Gazza, and the rest of the fowards get healthy? Then we've got a glut up front taking up mucho cap room.

RS

15. specialk

specialk New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Birdsboro ,Pa.
    THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! NO GAZZA!YEA ! Who cares what the British press or people think or say about our league . We love it thats all that matters .

16. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: WhoWouldaThunkIt?

WOW, I;ve read Tron's posts for a while, and while they are always objective, they're always also positve DCU. i take from this one that he's really disappointed in not getting Gazza.

From my perspective ( I know you dont care, but I'm on Bigsoccer), I didn't want the guy, BUT I got pretty excited when it was told to me that we was in game shape, and close to sgning a "low-value"contract. Bot, Roy Lassiter is going to excite me at RFK!!!!!!!

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think this says a lot about Ray's character. It would have been so easy for him to sign not only a fellow countryman but a friend as well, and Ray looked at the whole picture and balked. He's sees the teams needs not only for this year, but next as well. I'm convinced we have the right man for the job. I'm just eager to see this team at full strength.
    VAMOS UNITED......we'll be back, I'm sure of it. :)

18. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    Re: Re: Yeah, Baby

Frankly, you are taking my post way too seriously.

Although I like Dante and wouldn't mind seeing him in a United uniform, any player United brings in this year will not be able to improve this team. We already have a newbie upfront, and he hasn't scored a goal in his first two games. I'm still withholding judgment on Q2 (can't play with his right foot).

Signing Gazza would have been a novelty for the league. I would rather see United and the league sign more Americans and develop American talent than sign a 35 year old Englishman.

19. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000

Since when does DC ever have everyone healthy? Moreno is not going to play more than 20 games a season ever again, I imagine, since he seems to acquire more than his share of nagging injuries. So, fine, Q1 starts and Q2 comes off the bench or vice versa, and both of them start when Moreno doesn't play. Then what happens if, no, when, one of them picks up an injury? We turn to Ali Curtis? Washington still has a solid two or three years left in him, I doubt he'd be much of a cap hit, and would seriously upgrade our bench up front. And all that for Namoff, who rarely if ever gets off the bench for RH? That's a no-brainer.

Incidentally, does anyone know what Q2's cap number is? Is he taking up loads of space? Is Tino?

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are probably going to have to sweeten the deal and offer more than just Namoff to get Washington. Maybe a pick or two.

21. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhh..

We'd take Pope and Namoff!!, Or Reyes and Namoff, or Prideaux and Namoff.

OK, seriously, Namoff alone won't get Dante (I hope our management isn't that stupid). It is the sincerest hopes of Crew fans that we are able to sure up our defense. This year. After all, all we'd do with a first round draft pick is trade it away for someone like Valderrama. We don't have the best record of drafting people.

Send Namoff and one of your starting defenders, and I bet we have a deal.

22. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Re: Uhhhh..

McKinley and Namoff. Our final offer!!!

23. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    I guess I am alone in liking Namoff, send Ritchie.

24. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Nah, I like Namoff more than Richie. But being a pragmatist, it's clear that Namoff has very little hope of getting off the bench as long as RH is at the helm.

Namoff and both of our future considerations for Dante. I like that idea.:)

Seriously, though, Crew fans are dreaming if they think that Dante is gonna get them any of our starting defenders. I'd say that to get one of them, it'd have to be Cunningham coming here, not Dante. And, since DC is not that deep in the back, and defenders are what the Crew needs, the only way this deal is going to happen is if one team gets fleeced. And it's anyone's guess as to which management group will be able to pull that off (getting fleeced, that is).

25. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

How about:

Dante + McCarty + Warzycha + Andrulis

for

Pope or Prideaux or Reyes or Convey and Namoff