Gazza decision

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by writered21, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per a team release, Gazza and United are parting ways and there will be no signing at this time.

Cheers,
    Ed

2. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
  3. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I was hoping to sign him to add some excitement to the rest of the year. Oh well, hopefully the 10 day break will let Jaime get healthy and then we can see Jaime and Q2 up front with Ben and Bobby on the wings. We might even score a goal!!

4. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    well d**mn, that was a wild ride.

any idea why/opinions? (As if I have to ask!)

5. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gazza, we hardly knew ya!

-G. Rex

6. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    No Gazza

This just in, apparently the deal for the former England International is off as they could not agree to terms.

7. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I read the release on the DC United web page, and it seems well enough to me. Time to move on. It was real, it was fun, but it was not really fun.

Tim

8. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    just another disappointment in a disappointing season

9. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    rip-off

this blows. I don't support D.C. but I wanted you guys to have him. I wanted him in the league. He's a unique guy to say the least.

any chance he'll come back at the beginning of next season for another go?

10. tcc_dc

tcc_dc New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Vienna, VA
    just another day...

I am disappointed because I was really looking forward to see him in our kit. He came in with the right attitude.

tcc

11. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    yeah, he had a great attitude and expressed the desire to ONLY play for DC United in the MLS. he seemed enthusiastic and ready to go and eager about starting a new life for himself in the US. a great situation....and of course it doesn't work out...

who knows if it was Gazza, Hudson, MLS, or DC front office that nixed the deal....

12. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    Yeah, Baby

Let's bring on Dante!

13. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Frankly, I don't care. Time to move on for me. I think the next obsession will be: virtual suicide, as this season is bloody awful.

14. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Wasted opportunity! :(

15. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    I'm disappointed at this decision.

I think the MLS have missed the opportunity for some good publicity even if it is only for another 8 games.

Had the decision been because of a restrictive MLS rule I would have been furious, but I can accept it if it is a coach and player decision.

16. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    whoever's responsible for this decision should be FIRED. we're already f****d as a team this season...why deprive us the joy of seeing gazza on the pitch???? some half-assed bull**** about his personal behavior? he's certainly good enough to play on this team. and whats the alternative? we do nothing? we keep the lame, impotent squad we already have?

this is our seasons death knell.
    see you next year.

17. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stupid ***************s in the front office...how did this happen? Is McKinley a better option? or was it a smoke screen to keep us off of Quintanilla's back?

now without being blinded by the optimism of having one of the world legends in the sport, I can truly admire where the team stands Last f'in place. Don't expect anymore 20k+ gates.

Maybe we can sign Cantona instead

18. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    One of the season ticket holders in my section is not coming back again because of the front office decisions this year.

Something needs to be sorted out.

19. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Would Gazza have been fun to have on the team and to watch? Sure.

Did DC need Gazza? No.

A 35-year old vet is not going to make this a playoff caliber team. This team needs a complete overhaul, starting with the center of midfield and you don't rebuild with players on the downside of their career.

Why take up a huge chunk of salary cap room next year with a 35 year old player?
    This team needs to be rebuilt around Olsen, Convey, Tino, Moreno and Rimando. You don't do that by adding over the hill players.

This isn't about turning this season around, this is about turning this FRANCHISE around. After 4 great seasons, we're on our 3rd straight crap season and we seem to be getting worse each year. Something major has to change, bringing Gazza in is not the answer.

20. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Re: rip-off

That kinda says it all. I'd like LA to have kept El Mattedhair and Snr. "Sin Goals" and NJ to have kept Branco, so they could be sure of one red card every game.

I think it's significant that, with the exception of Bryan, all the voices of dismay here are not regular DCU board posters.

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well, you can chalk me up on the side that's disappointed. I was hoping this would work out, but I'm not mad at anyone in the front office or Gazza as it sounds like it was a mutual decision frankly. It would have been nice to have a big personality other than Marco in the team. I think Gazza could have balanced the surliness.

22. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No strong feelings one way or the other on this one. I think he would have been a good addition. I think he could have had a relapse. I think a lot of things both pro and con. Whatever, the main problem with this team is that we just flat out suck (but not like the MetroDonkeys). It's going to take more than signing any one player to turn this team around. Last place, no playoffs 3 yrs running, unimaginable goal scoring drought....what more could we suffer through???788[8

23. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    WhoWouldaThunkIt?

Shocked ... I'm simply shocked.

Never would I have guessed that Gazza would show up in great shape with a wonderful attitude (minus taking the shots after the game), MLS lets Hudson decide and Ray decides NOT to acquire Gazza. Simply unfathomable.

I wonder who this is a vote of confidence in ... Etch or Convey? As usual, Etch was willing to sacrifice himself for the team, and that should be rewarded.

-Tron

24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty much in agreement with you, ch. I am disappointed, however, since I was looking forward to seeing Gazza play. It sounded to me like he was seriously getting in shape, and with a "hungry" attitude, to boot.

I have been fortunate in having seen Cruyff play with the Dips and Beckenbauer with the Cosmos. Even though they were on the downside of their careers, it was still magic (to me, anyway) to watch them play.

BTW, whatever happened to those two kids from Brazil, who were on trial with us early-on in the season? We can definitely use some more fire-power up front.

Winoman