Gazza/DC agree not to pursue contract

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by flmls, Aug 1, 2002.

1. flmls

flmls New Member

D.C. United and Paul Gascoigne Agree Not to

Further Pursue Contract

CHANTILLY, VA (August 1, 2002) - D.C. United announced today the decision, made in conjunction with Paul Gascoigne and his agent, Ian Elliott, not to further pursue a contract a this time. Gascoigne had trained with the Black-and-Red last Friday and Monday and spent time with players and team officials with the idea of signing with the club.

"After long and involved discussions and having thoroughly considered all matters regarding a permanent, long-term move to D.C. United and Major League Soccer, both United Head Coach Ray Hudson and Paul Gascoigne have mutually agreed not to pursue a contractual obligation for the remainder of the 2002 MLS season," said United Technical Director Dave Kasper.

Known to soccer aficionados as "Gazza," the legendary 35 year-old midfielder has scored 106 goals in 442 First Division matches for clubs in England, Scotland and Italy, and has notched 10 goals in 57 CAPS for England. His heroics in 1990 led England to the World Cup semi-finals.

"Despite the unfortunate and diminishing time schedule, this has been an enjoyable and worthwhile endeavor, but all parties involved are in agreement that the decision not to proceed at this time is the right decision," added Hudson. "D.C. United is sincere in its very best wishes to Paul and his future and is indeed grateful to both Paul and Ian Elliott for their professional manner and social conduct throughout this exchange both on and off of the field."

2. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    what a crock!

friggin bummer, man!!! I was really looking forward to seeing him play! what a crock! I don't even support United but I definately wanted to see him come play my club(especially vs. Hristo and Peter), read his witticisms, see him score and everything that comes with him. dammit!

Does this mean he may come back to join the club at the beginning of next season???

3. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    means he is gonna go to NE Revolution, wink...

4. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Re: what a crock!

Great, here is the start of another Gazza to MLS rumor....Sheesh

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hudson needs a striker. Plus the veiled references to Gazza "not being Snow White" over teh weekend seemed sort of ominous.

I was just getting used to the idea of seeing a "new Gazza" but I guess it's not to be.

I think Hudson realized if things went seriously wrong there's no way he could handle the fall out. Or maybe Gazza just didn't want to come?

6. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Flashman I agree with your thought that if things didn't work out with Gazza that Hudson's head would be situated squarely on the chopping block and therfore no deal which is probably the prudent move by Hudson who is a man under great pressure right now.

Funny how in coaching you can be the Sweet-Heart of the league one year and a Bum the next.

7. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    I'm really bummed about this. After what happened to the Fusion last year, I have not really been able to drum up much enthusiasm about the MLS league. But, if this would have gone through, I would have bought the MLS Shootout package just to see the DC games. I was just starting to get excited again :(

8. Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Diego's boots
    I can only think they realised he isn't fit enough to play at this level of football anymore. A lot of people are forgetting he has just been released by Burnley.

9. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Ray was quoted this weekend as saying that the team's first priority is to get a striker. he didn't seem to upbeat about signing Gazza then.
    It might not be Gazza but all of the injuries that have hit the DC forwards.

10. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So the theories are that DC didn't think Gazza wouldn't contribute much, Hudson didn't want to take the risk with him now, they need forwards, or they couldn't figure out a good solution to the no discoveries problem.

Hey, I hear Paul Merson is available. ;)

11. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    He did'nt want to play for a cellar dwellar team.

x