Gaven Speaks

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by strider026, Oct 6, 2003.

1. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Eddie Gaven tells all the Metros can make a go for the MLS Cup.

Gaven Speaks

First our sixteen year old shows tremendous improvement and confidence on the field. Now he shows that confidence in the team.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaven is going to be a star. you can just see from his swagger out there that he has no fear. these are the type of guys that are going to do the business for the USA if it is going to get done at all.

3. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
  4. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Thanks. I fixed it. Dont know why it did not work. According to the Codes explained you do not need the http://. I had taken it out. Put it back in and the link works. I guess I should try it if I use link in the future.

Timmy said that too? How old was he when he said that? If true that is OK. I hope for the same success that Timmy has had. Wouldn't that be great for us and for him.

I am a Metro FC fan but first and foremost I am a fan of the USMNT. Love to see the young guys doing well. Hope to see Gaven, Clark and Magee playing for the Nats and doing well.

5. Digilobo

Digilobo New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Queens, NY
    im not sure when he first said so, but tim howard was quoted as recently as may (amidst the first whispers of his transfer) saying his "first priority" was winning a trophy with the metros. eh.

i agree that gaven has big things coming. he's got such a smooth, direct style of play that stands out amidst all the cautious, midfield hot-potato passes we've gotten used to seeing. it's really refreshing to see an attacking force unafraid to take risks.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Gaven Speaks

I agree with this assessment of Gaven whole-heartedly. the differece between he and Howard is obvious though ............. 8 years. Howard is 24 and Gaven is only 16. You can expect him to be around for a few more years before they steal him overseas. Even if he only stays for 2 or 3 more years before he leaves, that's 2 or 3 more years of a budding star for the NATS. He and Adu were always my favorite off of that U-17 squad and i am glad he is making me a prophet already! LOL

7. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Not as dramatic as Joe Namath's prediction in 1969, but not bad for a 16 year old.

8. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    wait till his frame fills out,,he's gonna be a "supa star'

9. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Re: Re: Re: Gaven Speaks

24 is young in a goal-keepers development. Freddie Adu is 14 (how long has been 14 anyway?) and had been courted by Euro teams.
    Gaven's skill and confidence level took a huge curve up since he first started this season. As did Timmy when he first joined the squad.
    IMHO, Euro scouts have to be looking on for another cheap marketable American kid.

10. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Gaven's case is most exciting when you think historically great football genius were discovered when they were teenagers...

12. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu , to me being 14 does not seem realistic. Kind of like Danny Almonte in Little League a few years ago. Looking at Adu physically he appears to be 16-17 years old minimally. Is this fuzzy math with a phony or estimated birth date??? You watch him and see for yourself.

13. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not this again. There are THOUSANDS of threads on BS about Adu's age. His age has been investigated at length by US Soccer, Sports Illustrated and probably other FA's that would love to get the US disqualified from International tournaments for using an overage player. If you have proof that he's lying about his age that's one thing. If not, why are you beating this dead horse? By the way, this is nothing like Danny Almonte. Adu is playing UP in age (14 playing U-17), Almonte is someone who was passed off as a 12 year old playing AT the 12 year old age level.

14. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Eddie Gaven is a breath of fresh air. He goes for the goal and knows that putting one in the net is the number one priority!

For now, letting go all the EPL-Euro and Adu is really older junk - I am very, very happy to see this kind of play on the Metro side. He envigorates the whole team in a pure and simple way that others have not been able to.

You can see the midfield behave differently when he's on the pitch. No, he's not our best player, however the whole team dynamic has changed lately and he may have been the spark. That's a very difficult thing to accomplish or even define, but we can all see it.

The Cup, MLS Playoffs....imagine how they look through the eyes of a teenager playing pro ball.
    Re: Eddie Speaks- What's not to agree with? Go for it!

We Want The Cup. Go Metro!!

15. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    The MetroStars future seems pretty bright at the momment... Those draft picks make Bob look like a genius right now.

Ricardo Clark(20)... has been likened to a young Patrick Viera by English scouts... thats one hell of a compliment!! Starting center mid on U-20 USMNT.

Mike Magee(19)... has 7 goals as a rookie... leading goalscorer on U-20 USMNT.

Eddie Gaven(16)... 2 MOTM... golden goal vs. DCU... center mid for U-17 USMNT.. and this kid cant even drive yet!! His mom drives him to the games!!! fearless 16yr old playing amongst grown men, imagine a few years from now..

Never has there been a season in Metros' history where i have looked forward to the future of the team with as much anticipation as i have this year...

Thank you Bob Bradley

16. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    if we were to get only one of those players i'll consider it a good draft

17. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Wayne Rooney who?

18. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    not only that, he is helping MacGee a Lot.

19. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    I am really enjoying Gavens play. It does seem like the dynamic of the team has had an upward swing recently. I am sure it is not all due to him. The whole team seems more fiesty and aggresive.

How is he helping Magee? (Note the spelling). Do you think his attitude is contagious? Do you think they just play off each other well?

20. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Eski who?

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add this to the fact that Freddy certainly DOES NOT look 17 physically like the previous person suggested. freddy is no bigger than i was at that age, and looks no older than i did. when you look at him in comparison to even his counterparts on the U-17 squad, and he looked like a midget. I know height isn't everything, but we're not talking about a huge kid with a fu manchu. This kid looks like the average 14 or 15 year old ............. he just plays a whole lot better than that.

22. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    This thread is about Gaven and or the Metros FC. This is not about Adu. If you need to discuss something that has been beaten to death do it somewhere else

23. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Actually, i beleive it was MLS/US peeps who said that. It just happened to be posted in 442 magazine.

24. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    OH... either way its still a damn good compliment...

25. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    His attitude may Magee to try harder