Garrincha overrated dribbler

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Alexander88, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I watched many videos of Garrincha and I can not find a video where dribble 3-4 players while running or in closed spaces.

for what I've seen does not enter in the first 30 dribbler of the history

I do not care what you say about him, I'm interested in the facts.

2. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    0:08, 2:01 , 2:29, 09:50(he is the one who scored)

More than 90% of Garrincha's footage is only his WC matches. There is not more than 2 or 3 matches of his footage in Botafogo where he played HUNDREDS of games. As we know most players(besides Maradona:)) do their best dribbles at clubs. Show me at least 1-2-3 moments where Ronaldo Fenomeno or Messi dribble past 3-4 players at WC, or it is too tough challenge for you? Anyway, Garrincha took his place in the history and your thoughts on that cannot affect it at all, so better watch fully the video that I posted and try to get a pleasure from that.

3. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    wow nothing of extraordinary, not enter in top 100....a disabled person like that could only play in stupid football 0f 50s

4. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    He was fantastic also in 60's:D

Guga Sukhi and RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think many *including you, would WISH to be born as "disable" yet so FAMOUS as he was!

Did you really know Beethoven was deaf? So you call him a "disabled" as well? Every musician now aday would WISH to be born as deaf yet as talented as Beethoven was! OK?

Respect the elder and the legends!

MJWizards, Guga Sukhi and RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  6. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Respect, yes. Take what you read as the absolute truth and dont question it, no. Particularly nowadays, when actual footage, as scarce as it may be, is so easily accesible and can help form a personal opinion.
    Personally, I do believe Garrincha's dribbling skills are in fact blown out of proportion. An outstanding dribbler, sure. The best there ever was, I highly doubt it.

schwuppe repped this.
  7. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Who you think are 3 best dribblers?

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL!

You haven't seen anything because there is no footage. I realize it may be hard for you to believe, if you're very young, but people didn't always have the technology that we have today, so a lot of important, wonderful and significant things happened in the past and there is no footage of them, and you will never get a chance to see them. You might as well say that Julius Caesar or Napoleon Bonaparte were not top generals because you haven't seen footage of their battles.

You and I will never be able to see Garrincha in action -other than some old black and white pictures and a few poor quality clips of very limited action- so if you really are interested in the facts, you need to do some research about what his contemporaries - teammates, opponents, managers, journalists, and fans who lived during that era- have to say about him.

Do that, and you'll get an idea about how good he was.

Guga Sukhi, RoyOfTheRovers and condor11 repped this.
  9. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    That is very hard to answer.... Personally, I think Maradona and Messi can both very well be in that group.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That's a fair statement ... and I do not have means (unfortunately) nor a need to convince you (guys) about that.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think you need to see somebody in person to get the best appreciation of how good they are. Next best is to see them live on screen or even if not live but see full matches. Lots of guys look awesome when seen selectively on youtube, but it can be deceiving.

Best dribblers I've seen in person: I'd say Maradona, Messi, Riquelme. Also George Best, I saw him once playing for the Earthquakes of the old NASL, and he was amazing. Franchescoli was also probably up there. Great ones I've seen live but not in person: Ronaldo, C.Ronaldo, Romario, Zico, Figo, Zidane come to mind.

People I know who've seen Garrincha play, and who have also seen some of the top players I've mentioned above, would put him in that same lofty category, and some actually say he was better than most or even all of them.

carlito86 and RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree so. I have seen Pele, cruijff Best in some live games with NASL as well. They passed their best but in some particular games (best form and mood) they showed a flash of their old great- just like Romario 2002, Ronaldo 09/10 or Zidane WC06 ....

If I rate those I have watched LIVE (in best form) only, then Maradona is #1, and Ronaldo 96-98 was #2. very close in #3 Messi 10-12. Many other greats I have watched : Zico, Ronaldinho, Laudrup, Zidane, Romario, Savicevic, Okocha, Overmars, Figo ... (too many to list)

Last bold, again agree. I happened to work in Brazil for a few years (mid 90's) and I made friends with some old folks there who had watched all from Puskas, Di stefano, Zizinho to Garrincha Pele Cruijff to Maradona Zico Ronaldo ... They all said and concluded:

Garrincha> Pele > Maradona > Ronaldo > Best as their TOP5 dribblers!

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, you're more of an old timer than I am. It's amazing that all those all-time greats played in the US at a time when most Americans had no idea what soccer was.

Another great dribbler that I remember seeing live at the old NASL was Willie Johnston. He was the one who got kicked out of Argentina 78 for doping. Ironically, it was for the same substance for which Maradona was kicked out in 94. Maybe there is a connection between Ephedrine and great dribbling. :D

14. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Riquelme was a great dribbler, but he lacked some speed. He was similar to Zidane in dribbling. But without speed you cannot be in the very best category.

15. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

["Howls, HOWLS of derisive laughter, Bruce!!" :D & :rolleyes:]

16. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Couldn't have said it better.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  17. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    people... you can't compare ages like that... let's do something very simple, you change the game you're great. Garrincha changed the game with his individual play. people now mimic him. That's why he's great.

and for the people that love to say he couldn't do the same today... my reply is. no ********ing shit, the data collected between matches, the advances in nutrition and medicine makes an average athlete from today be better than athletes 30 years ago.

you can't cross compare the athletes, but you can their dominance.

msioux75 and RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  18. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[While I can see your overall point; the bolded parts depend vastly on the individual athlete/footballer IMHO. Players like George Best, Jackie Milburn, Gunnar Nordahl & Fritz Walter would've been at least highly effective in any era that involved a ball, two goals & a level pitch IMHO...]

19. Ronaldoz 9

Ronaldoz 9 Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Noooooo. Garrincha is a lad. He is the second best dribbler ever.

20. It is of no consequence what this guy thinks about Garrincha. He means nothing.
    Garrincha is with my clubs phenomenon winger Coen Moulijn the players I loved. There were better players, but these two I loved because of the sheer joy looking at the movements they made.
    I even can say, the only two players I loved in around 55 years I consciously watched soccer from all over the world.
    This guy can have his opinion, based on how many minutes of footage? The rest of us, that watched him during his career know better and can pity him for not having been able to look at the greatest when they were alive and kicking (ass).
    This quote shows him to be the real person he is, a bigot.

21. Ronaldoz 9

Ronaldoz 9 Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  22. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Not really, because they were top of their class meanwhile their competition wasn't (a lot of times even themselves). Player back in his day would smoke, eat and drink as they wanted. A player today that does that, can't even remain competitive, imagine top of their class.

at the world cup, even up to the 1980s, non traditional footballing nations would have semi amateurs players in their squads. Imagine during the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. Today's football is modern, its not just about skill, but also preparation and science.

You can compare those players against their competition back on their days. And what they did back then is their legacy. But to compare Garrincha, Best, Yashin with today's players as in skill level. Can't do that. It is simply unfair.

Just look at the Olympics, there's a reason World Records keep getting beaten down, athletes are more efficient. Why would you expect something different in football?

Oh and by the way, Garrincha, probably wouldn't even play in today's football because of his crippled legs, mental health and drinking problems.

23. There is one big flaw in your reasoning is that you suppose the old stars to come into this age with the same old habits. You must suppose that they bring in their class and use the knowledge of today, and then they beat the crap out of most of these days stars, bar the ones that genuinly are at their level.

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Not a flaw, you're just ignoring that they played vs bad competition which made them look better.

Look, if they go out and play vs a semi professional Venezuelan team, I'll look really good. Then you bring them to today's standard and they are playing against a professional Venezuelan team. They won't look as good. It is not just about the athleticism, it's also about the professionalism of the game.

Iceland beat England. Not because they are extremely talented and more talented than the English players. But now they are also extremely professional and serious athletes, so they can close the gap of talent between England and themselves with extra work and practice. Players from those days would face off against a lot of athletes with second jobs.

Look at the Brazilian national team. Tons of talent all around, yet they can't repeat their 60s and 90s success. People blame the talent, I blame the lack of organization and attempting to just throw players out there and have them beat an organized side individually. You can't do that anymore in today's game.

And asI said before. You bring Garrincha and his crippled legs into today's world, he's not making past the cut for the youth teams.

25. Mmmm, you're telling me Johan Cruijff wouldnot be able to kick a dent in todays defenses? Because you deem the opposition he played against was low (your opinion). The same goes for Garrincha.
    By the way, nice try to use England as the proof of your hypothesis.