Garlick Benched!!!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by joeyclams, Nov 4, 2003.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only does it screw up team chemistry, but completely disrespects all Garlick has done for the Rapids this season....Garlick himself presents very valid arguments on this respect...

"It's very strange, isn't it?" Garlick said. "I guess the first 30 games of the season doesn't mean anything. I was part of a team that beat Kansas City three times, if you include the Open Cup."

The Rapids did give up four goals in each of the last two games of the regular season and finished 0-3-3 after clinching a playoff spot. However, after the 4-3 loss in the finale to Dallas, Hankinson enumerated a half-dozen reasons why the Rapids defense fared so poorly. Bad goalkeeping was not one of them.

"I tried to pin down the reason for these goals we've given up," Garlick said. "I asked Tim if they were my responsibility, and he pointed to one of 12. That's a little strange. If one of 12 is my responsibility, then why would I be (benched)? I don't think you need to change anybody."

Just plain stupidity, regardless of whether Colorado wins or loses

2. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    All Garlick has done for the Rapids this season? You mean like giving up 12 goals in the last 4 games? Hmmm . . . . you've got a keeper averaging 3 goals against and haven't had a win in the last 6 games and you blame Hanki for putting in a keeper that was a MLS Cup Champion two years ago and an Allstar keeper last year. Hanki has plenty to be blamed for, but give him a break on this one.

3. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Okay, let's review some of the goals that Garlick gave up.

1. An own goal to Borchers
    2. An unmarked header for Rhine
    3. A backheeled goal for Deering with Crawford standing a foot away watching
    4. Nheliko getting to a head ball before Kotschau
    5. I didn't see the goals from the Chicago game but I did hear that Beasley schooled Hart again for his goal.

So, there are five of the 12 and how is anyone of those Garlick's responsibility? He can't mark players and make saves himself and he can't stop shots from his own players.

According to Garlick, he and Hanki talked about the last few games and Hanki attributed ONE goal as solely on Garlick. So that is the reason to bench him? Sorry, but I won't give Hanki a break on this one.

4. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Not that I agree with the move ... especially since Cannon let in a crap goal ...

But the goalie is the one who's suppose to organize the defense. So he does stand some responsiblity on allowing 12 goals in three games.

And I didn't hear about him coming up with anything near like big saves.

You can't say he has nothing to do with it ... he's part of the defense. And the defense has fallen apart.

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard somewhere that the regular season lasts 30 games....I'd like to compare Garlick's situation to that of Keller....His defense completely let him down last year at Tottenham, but the coach realized the keeper was not the culprit for all the goals being allowed so he stuck with him...Even at the beginning of this season and w/ the change of coaching included KK is starting to show that he really was not the one underperforming
    So if the Colorado D screws up in the last 4 games, why should Garlick take the fall? Was he that bad or are you just trying to use GAA numbers as if soccer could be analyzed exclusively as if it were baseball?

6. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing we can realistically change to try to get more out of the backline is the goalie; Crawford sucks as much if not more than Hart, and Rizo is no way near being match fit.

7. LittleMy

LittleMy Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Crawford was fine last night. He, at least, was not perpetually passing the ball to a white jersey.

The point that some people seem to be missing is...whatever Garlick's faults are and whatever goals he may be to blame for, you do NOT start tinkering with your lineup to begin the playoffs. If he was that bad, they should have pulled him and put Cannon in three games ago, to give him a chance to get in synch with the rest of the team.

Otherwise, the only reason to pull Garlick should be if he's had something amputated.

8. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    No, he was perpetually passing the ball out of bounds on the right.

I thought, overall, that Crawford was better than Hart but his passing needs serious work.

Remember, he has great feet, so he has that going for him.

9. pappekak

pappekak New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tralfamadore
    Since Cannon let one crap goal by and Garlick was the cause of one goal in the last 4 games then Hanki should bench Cannon for Game 2.

The bottom line is that Hanki benched Garlick and cost us a goal in the playoffs. The team looked like crap last night and I imagine Garlick not starting, and Cannon letting in that early goal had something to do with it. Beckerman and Borchers saved our ass last night.

Cannon himself stated he didn't have the confidence. Who's fault was that? Hank-N-Wank.

Why? Because Hanki started Cannon, with a grand total of 45 minutes of game time this year, in the playoffs. Thank God Hanki didn't have a Musa Shannon to put in again!

This isn't be start of the season kiddies, it's the PLAYOFFS.

Hanki and Counce drove off Herdsman this year and screwed the pooch once again. Those guys have all the leadership skills of a rock.

Hanki should do us all a favor and ask Dallas for that coaching job.

10. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a long-time San Diegan, I love both those keepers you have. Garlick, as you know led USD to the NCAA Final in 1992 with a team full of local SD boys. Cannon was the original GK for our SD Flash of the A-League, and everyone in this town knew he would be a stud at the next level. But what the fvck is your coach thinking?! He's not just changing horses mid-stream, he's killing your chances of any post-season success. Who the hell will want to play for this moron/Judas ever again, regardless of how this turns out. If Cannon had won the job in training, then I could stomach this, but Garlick is among the league leaders in wins, shutouts and saves. To blame him for the 12 GA late in the season would be as ridiculous as giving him sole credit for all those wins in July, Aug. and Sept.

I have LA Galaxy season tickets, and there is no midfield I am more impressed with than yours, and Spencer is the most respected visiting forward at the Home Depot Center. We hate that little phucker, but we wish he played for us! Even your new uniforms have got me (forest) green with envy, but Tim Hankinson makes me feel real good about Sigi, because at least the fat man sticks by his players. Hopefully the new owner will blow out Counce and Hankinson. With Garlick out of contract with MLS at season's end I guess Cannon is your guy. I hope you appreciate both guys as much as I have.

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said, especially from a non-Raps fan perspective. I think the whole league is wondering what the hell is going on and I wonder if indeed Hanki is fired, if other MLS teams will want a coach that plays similar games with his starting players, tinkering with the lineup even into the playoffs. Unbelievable.

12. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Can you imagine what a Sarachan, Bradley, or Yallop would do with the Rapids?

Excuse me, but I have to go throw up now.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    What REALLY sucks is that Mooch used to pull this crap as well. So, basically, we've had 7 years of head coaches shooting the team in the foot repeatedly. I can't believe we've been to two Cup finals in that time, but when you look at it, we lost to a good DC team and the Rochester Raging Rhinos (and will probably be forever known as the only MLS team to lose a cup final to a lower division opponent).

15. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Hanks says ""For me (Cannon's) sharp right now"

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~94~1747375,00.html

Huh? He comes on in the 2nd half after Dallas has a comfortable 4-1 lead, has no reason to attack anymore and duh, doesn't give up any goals, so that means he's sharp?

Perhaps he's shown well in practice, beats me.

But....check this out from the same article:

"After taking his wife, Holly, to the hospital Wednesday (the couple is expecting their first child Friday), Garlick said he supports Hankinson's decision."

Maybe this is more about concerns with Garlicks concentration considering the upcoming birth. If the child is born Friday, could we have expected Garlick to be in goal on Saturday, 100% concentration? Maybe the thought was Garlick was not going to play the 2nd game (given the birth) so it's better have Cannon in the first game as well.

Interesting.

16. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Garlick had every opportunity/justification to lash out at Hanki in the above article, and he didn't. Very commendable. Garlick is a class act.

17. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    commendable? He already did lash out at the coach. I get the feeling he either thought it over ... or he was slapped in the face by someone on the team ... or he read the MLSnet.com article that mentioned that he didn't handle the situation well.

The child theory is actually a pretty good one Mr. James. Soccer surely isn't the most important thing in life.

What a freaking mess.

We need a coach that creates a family among the team. A coach that the players go to bat for.

I'm on board. Hanki needs to go. He's certainly not the guy to create the love.

18. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does shed more light on the situation. Certainly if Garlick is having a kid the night before the game, he'll have a tough time making the match and being sharp for it. That makes sense, but the reactions and attitudes contained in the RMN article on Tuesday contradict what was said here. Garlick was pissed, and it wasn't just about having a kid, he said I'm not playing for this guy (Hanki) ever again. That goes beyond getting benched for "family reasons", which is something we can all relate to better and understand the reasoning for.

19. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's it, the way this thing has gone, there's no doubt about it. Garlick is starting on Saturday.

20. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

I have recently had the same thought. (I remember Mooch hated Chris H so much he used to play Joey D in his spot. That move hasn't really stood the test of time, now has it.) I wanted Mooch gone, but who knows if Hanki is any better. This roster with Bradley, or Sigi, et al would be very good.

21. pappekak

pappekak New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tralfamadore
    Trembly will be keeper before Hanki uses Garlick again. The possible exception: Hanki starts Garlick in Pibe's spot using the old 3-5-2.

22. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003
    What on Earth makes you think Garlick will start Sat.??? I think what Hankison did with his coaching tactics for the 1st play off match is deplorable. If it was due to the arrival of their first child,Garlicks reaction would have been totally different,nice try MR. James but I'm not buying it. Hanki is finishing the season the way he started it .Phucking around with the best 11. He has got to go! These guys deserve better coaching then what he brings to the pitch and the club house. He needs to take a communication class or TWO,and let go of the "dog house" mentality.I give EVERY SINGLE Rapid player credit for putting up with Hanki's s*#t all year... to the best of their ability. Everyone has a limit. Can you say Rick Titus ?It's time for the new owner ship to take a good hard look, and give Tim his walking papers.

23. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll revise my post then.

[Sarcasm]Well, that's it, the way this thing has gone, there's no doubt about it. Garlick is starting on Saturday.[/Sarcasm]

24. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    As our team slid into a black hole over the last six weeks of the regular season, I had been thinking this a lot. I feel like Charlie Brown at the end of the Halloween special when he is at the wall with Linus and another Halloween has come and gone and all he got was a bag of rocks.

We could pull out a big win in KC and then take LA at home if they go through, but it will be despite Hankinson and not because of him.

Holy freaking sh1t this team should be better.

25. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003
    Sarcasm

Much better... Excuse ME... It's difficult in cyberspace to sometimes pick up "SARCASM" there's alot of crazy opinions out there,including mine at times ... and I thought you were serious!You can "Chill "now.