Garlick Benched!!!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by joeyclams, Nov 4, 2003.

1. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Details here:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/rapids/article/0,1299,DRMN_51_2400226,00.html

This after Hanki was quoted in the Post as saying that he wasn't going to make any drastic changes. Well, this seems pretty drastic to me. I can't believe he is putting in Cannon who has played 45 minutes in MLS this season. 45 MINUTES!!!

What next: Rizo in for Kotschau? Blake for Spencer? Piserchio for Chung? Hell, the reserves played well against Guatemala, why not give them a game.

Un-phucking-believeable.

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, this one is hard to believe. Hankinson clearly doesn't like Garlick, and hasn't for quite some time. You'd think if he was going to use Cannon in the postseason he would have got Cannon more regular season work to get sharp.

Cannon now faces tremendous pressure to play well in what is a maximum pressure situation.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bold move that will either make or break Hanki. I think it could pay off as Garlick and the team have been slumping over the past 6 matches. A change at the back just might be the spark needed. Cannon is no slouch. I hope it pays off, and if it doesn't I hope Hanki is gone.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last minute drastic changes usually don't bode well for a team.

5. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    It was bad enough that his own players didn't respect him, now I can't imagine that any players in MLS will afford Hanki any respect for a move like this.

You'd think that not having won any of their last 6 games there would have been ample time to get Cannon a bit more playing time, no?

I don't care how much better Joe Bazooka may be, benching the guy that has been there through thick and thin for someone who hasn't played a truly competitive match in at least six months is pure stupidity.

6. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
  7. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Re: Re: Garlick Benched!!!

Short of Hanki hoisting the Cup, I don't see how anyone can justify renewing his contract.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Garlick Benched!!!

The Crew's keeping Andrulis, so it appears as if anything is possible this year.

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado Rapids:
    GK#1 Scott Garlick
    D#4 Robin Fraser
    D#12 Wes Hart
    D#26 Nat Borchers
    D#3 Ritchie Kotschau
    M#19 Chris Henderson
    M#20 Mark Chung
    M#5 Kyle Beckerman
    M#25 Pablo Mastroeni
    F#15 Chris Carrieri
    F#7 John Spencer ( C)

Rapids' starting lineup per the Rapidfire email just sent. Is the paper right or is the Rapids home office email right? We'll see tonight.

An interesting point to realize is that Garlick let in 12 goals over the last 4 games, one shutout and three games with 4 goals. One of the 4 goal games was against KC, and another against league jokes Dallas. Hanki might be doing the right thing, if he is actually doing it.

10. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    HOLY SH!T.

I'd be pissed if I were Garlick. Getting yanked right before the going gets "tough" does not look good on a resume. Where the hell does this leave his future in the sport?

Nobody is going to want to play for Hanki now. If players feel that there entire future can be put in jeopardy by one jackleg, they will never play for him.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But did Garlick lose his spot? 12 goals in 4 games is not a great average.

I think Cannon might lend some good playoff experience.

It also might be some gamesmanship so that KC thinks the Rapids are in turmoil.

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do think this is THE starting lineup to have, although obviously the Garlick situation has become problematic.

13. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Garlick stated in the article that he and Hanki talked and only ONE of the 12 goals was attributed to Garlick alone by Hanki. How does he lose his spot when he is basically left out to dry by his defense? Sh!t, one of the goals was an own goal by Borchers so how is that Garlick's fault.

No, this smacks of Hanki and the ever-present doghouse. How you take a guy who is tied for the league lead in shutouts and replace him with a guy who hasn't played a full game in over 6 months is a mystery to me.

As for the gamesmanship, do you think that Garlick would say that his relationship is over with Hanki just to try and fool the Wiz? I doubt it. This is the real deal, IMO. The Rapidfire is probably a mistake.

Hell, with Hanki, anything is possible I guess.

14. LittleMy

LittleMy Member

Jul 16, 2001
    The Rapids email also mentions the RMN article, and calls it "controversial."

I'm not sure what's the controversial part. Hanki screws Garlick, Garlick gets pissed. Not controversial, IMO.

I suppose the question is whether the article is true. If Pearce made it up or misinterpreted a comment, that would be different. If so, someone (Hankinson, Counce, somebody) needs to speak up and clarify the situation. For Garlick's sake, as much as the fans.

15. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    This isn't a sudden move I don't think. Garlick seems to make it out that this was all of a sudden ... but then the article mentions that he has already sold his house. Which means that he sold his house weeks ago (Unless he's got the best agent in the state!)

So this situation has been brewing. Wonder if it was because of Hanki, or because they went out and got Cannon, or if indeed Garlick was planning on leaving the team all along.

That being said, I'm very disappointed with this move. Granted, the defense has been crap, and Scott's job is to help orgainze the defense, so he's not completely blameless (though how would I know I didn't get to see two of the games!), but in my mind the four on the backline, Powell, Pablo, and Becks all share the blame with him.

If Tim does get the boot this year ... I'm not going to cry about it that's for sure even though I believe the players are to blame as well.

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is gamesmanship I would assume Hanki cleared it with Garlick first to clue him in so he wouldn't pay attention to the article. I am hoping that Rapidfire is correct but who knows, until tonight.

17. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is a risky move to make...

The real problem is that we haven't been able to see some of the last few games, so we have no idea what the problem was...hung out to dry by the defense? I can believe that...

But maybe part of the problem is communication, and Hankinson believes (for whatever reason) that Cannon can better organize things.

Either way...there has been a problem with defense and stopping the ball from going into the net.

We can say "what next..." and ask if we will be seeing Rizzo, Piserchio or Blake starting for our regulars.

But you cannot compare Joe Cannon's credentials to any of these guys. We <b>can't</b> have someone start for Borchers, Kotschau, Hart or Fraiser because we have zip for realistic depth on the bench with Stewart out, unless we want to have Powell or Mastroeni start on the back line.

In the back, the only real bench depth we have is Cannon.

I find the move curious and very risky, but in reality, its one of the only places we can tinker with the lineup coming off a really crappy streak.

18. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I wonder if Garlick suits up tonight. Or if he even makes it to the stadium.

He's still an important part of the team for tonight. If Cannon (who has played 45 minutes all season) makes a stupid mistake and gets ejected, watch preki and co. light up...who is it? Foss?

Unlikely, but if that were to happen, I'd rather have Garlick between the pipes than Joe Schmoe.

19. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    That logic doesn't go too far though. Cannon isn't the only one with good playoff experience and an MLS Cup win. Garlick won it with DCU in '97. Cannon's is just more recent.

If this it the way it's gonna be, I'll be there tonight yelling my heart out for Cannon. Not because I agree with the change (Hanki's a dumba$$ for doing this at this juncture, whether this works out or not) but becuase Cannon comes to Colorado and just wants to play soccer, but instead, he's stuck in the middle of this drama. He's getting thrown into a pressure cooker and he deserves the fan support until he proves otherwise. I wouldn't want to be in his cleats right now.

But let me repeat...HANKI IS STILL A DUMBA$$......

20. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Where's Vellow?

I cant even comment on this move by Hanki, I am so mad. Nobody however is talking about Scott Vellow. Where does this put him in all of this? Is he now going to be 2nd place to Cannon? I thought Cannon was brought in to take Vellow's place but I guess Hanki fooled everybody. I have no respect for Hanki, the way he has treated the players. Remember how he has subbed/held CC out while he is the lead in assists. Let's dump Hanki and have Trittschuh take over, I think he could do better.

21. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    Re: Where's Vellow?

Nobody however is talking about Scott Vellow. Where does this put him in all of this? Is he now going to be 2nd place to Cannon?

My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that Vallow can now breathe a huge sigh of relief knowing he is now the 2nd best goalie on the team. Our other 37 goalies are developmental players and aren't likely to see game action any time soon so I'd venture to say Vallow's got himself a solid backup slot at this point.

Let's dump Hanki and have Trittschuh take over, I think he could do better.

I think my dog could do better.

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Super Cannon is better. Period.

Bad timing, but the move was overdue.

23. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    WOW

Wow, this would really get me freaked out. But it seems that Hankinson didn't really want to use Garlick this year anyway, Garlick just played too well. Remember rookie Vallow getting the first few games of the year?
    But his doghouse seems to exist, because as the comentators on ESPN praised Vallow, he gets benched. He gets brought back for one game in the middle of the year, then goes away. Garlick proved himself.
    Then, when Garlick is at the top of his game, Cannon gets brought in. I would be nervous, and if I played, would NEVER want to go to a team where the coach seems to hold grudges, as the RMN news seems to imply.

24. thasquad33

thasquad33 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    boulder
    joe bazooka

yo, i have no clue why hanki pulled this out of his sleeve at this point in the season. defense wins championships, and will especially be the case if the rapids are to do so. they arent known for finding the crackerbox unless they are down. the communication between joe and the back four will be interesting. i know tim and scott didnt exactly see eye to eye, but this move is pretty drastic. the way i see it, scott wanted out of colorado after this season anyway and if colorado doesnt win it, no matter the situation, hanki is gone. so by him making cannon the keeper, if colorado wins it hell look like a savior and the team will remain intact for next year. lets hope this move is a positive one for the rapids. tha cmac

25. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and what a bogus goal Cannon gives away for you guys. 2 minutes in, and he goes down to a butterfly like he was Patrick Roy. Shame his goal is 4 feet taller than Roy's. Nice move, Tim!