Garber's reply to my email

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by yalpstel, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way I'll ever believe that AEQ lost 20 million since they took on the Quakes. No effin' way. I don't believe they even spent 20 million over the last four years.

Meanwhile, here's my email:

Dear MLS,

I attended the first MLS match at Spartan Stadium. I take my kids every year to a couple of games. I wear my Quakes cap everywhere around town.

I was also a Cosmos and NASL fan a long time ago, enduring the heartbreak of not only losing my club - but a whole league. Now the Quakes are moving, too.

You have your reasons - I know.

You also have one less MLS fan. Good-bye forever.

--Ron West

Davis, CA

2. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
  3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I thought I had seen it recently.

4. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder, since it seems that SSV may be working on this again after the first of the year (which I'm sure will require confidentiality), if there will be any opportunity for something like a Q&A thread or something like that where fans can submit questions that will be answered by the founding members of SSV?

I guess what I'm asking is - will there be an opportunity to find out what happened soon or ever? Maybe at the SSV website?

I still say a book is a good idea. :)

5. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma

I'm not debating you, I"m jjust curious how you know this info? Please fill us all in. If the Galaxy arn't making money then I dont know what hope MLS has......Sorry for your loss

6. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In short, I'll tell you. Tony is one of the founding members of SSV who have been privy to information that is not available to us "regular" fans. Weight should be given to what these guys have to say.

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I had my suspicions about that! And, at this point, you have way more credibility than AEG, MLS, SJSU and the Mucky news combined.

8. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Yeah, all that stuff about the Galaxy being the first MLS team to break even and make a profit must be propaganda and lies.

AEG just wants to build them stadiums and lose money because they like them better. It has nothing to do with the best attendance in the league and the willingness of the fanbase to pay the highest tickets and the most for parking and attendance.

9. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Yes, but look at the difference in value.

Their operating losses were (mostly) made up in the increased value of the franchise.

Yankees lost $50m last year, but how much of that was because of a 1st round playoff exit?

How much do you think Steinbrenner could get if he wanted to sell the franchise? He paid $10 million for it back in '73. Forbes says it's now worth $950 million.

10. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Let's be honest, Garber wants to see teams anywhere as long as they are succesful. While I cannot imagine how hard it must be for the true Quakes fans, Garber has actaully been pretty good for the league as a whole. He is much better than the previous commish. Your sense of outrage is completely understandable but I hope it subsides and that you get a team and a new ownership group soon. Unfortunately, the common fan does not have the money to keep a team so the team does become subject to the ups and downs of business. It is a sad fact. However, in addition, I have to say that I doubt we would have a league still if it wasn't for AEG and Lamar Hunt. These two forces singlehandedly have kept this league in business when it was hemmoraging cash (over 300 million dollars in the first half decade or so.) I don't think any of us have that available, so all we can do is hope that the league will find success in its new destinations, allowing it to expand and bring in new investors and fans. I find it hard to denegrate those that have literally lost tens of millions of dollars to create this league, even if not all their decisions have been successful.

11. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Right. Someone recently said that if you want to make a big profit, you want to make a financial killing, don't buy a sports team. Oh, and you'd better look at it as a hobby.

12. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    which is the beauty of this league from an investor standpoint...right now, any potential investor is in Steinbrenner's position circa 1973...drop $10 million and in 32 years, see what it is worth...

instead, the shortsighted bazillionaires that call the Bay Area their home would rather sleep on 700 thread count gold trimmed sheets...

there is now other professional sports league in the US that has the potential growth of MLS...even with Garber and AEG in the mix...

13. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    In fairness to the "bazillionaires", its a high-risk investment in a business they don't understand.

14. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    No they weren't the only team losing money in the AEG portfolio, but they are the team that had the least chance to get a stadium in the future, as all of AEG's other teams do have stadium plans. I think you should be more upset with the city officials for making a stadium deal so difficult. Finally, while I know losing the team is horrible, and I for one loved watching them play, I cannot bring myself to tell someone who has lost probably over 100 million dollars on this league what he should or should not do with his money and his team. It is not like the team was only there for a year or 2. If Anschutz wants to try his luck in Houston, then i hope he succeeds. Because if he succeeds there, that will help boost the league, and the league's success for the future is the most important thing. More profitable franchises will bring new investors, new tv deals, and new endorsements and hopefully make sure that this league is around to turn 50 with a lot more teams, including one back in San Jose.

15. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

maybe we need brazillionaires...:D

like they know about the business they run right now...;)

16. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    With all respect to Mr Garber for responding, I think Becky has a right to be disappointed if she feels the response is hollow or half-assed. She needn't be satisfied with just any response . . . it sounds like she expects some accountability, and she wants some action behind the league's claim that the battle in San Jose isn't over for good. I think any fan has the right to expect action rather than just words . . . a lot of leaders dole out words to placate a situation, but only the ones who take constructive action are DUE the respect. Let's hope a new team lands in San Jose, but I would be skeptical if I were Becky.

17. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's some funny stuff. You're telling me that we had the least chance of getting a stadium? Wow! You must have been in different meetings then I was in.

Don't tell me we had the least chance....I was in those meetings and know exactly what our chances for getting a stadium was.

18. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    LA has a stadium.

Chicago's is nearly done.

So either you were ahead of New York, or behind, can't be that far off the mark is it?

19. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005

And DCU had a stadium deal in the works before AEG got a great buyout offer. So I am not sure what meeting you were in but I would have to guess it was behind the other teams. (Especially since LA is done, CHicago's almost finished, and the stadium deal in New Jersey was lagging due to referendums and such, not because an initial agreement hadn't been reached and plans hadn't been prepared.)

Once again though, i am sad to see San Jose go, and can't wait to see a team there again, in its own stadium this time.

20. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    From the FCD Christmas party thread - to all those who say that AEG and no MLS teams are making money.

"Hitchcock stated that the LA Galaxy were the only MLS team currently profitable, and that in order for FCD to become profitable, that FCD would have to come close to selling out most of its games and do well in local sponsorships."

So the Galaxy are the only team making money, and you are here saying that AEG is losing more money with them than they ever did with the Quakes?

Huh.

21. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    well, I read on another thread someone quoting the AEG water delivery guy that AEG is late on their payments every month...

relevance?

22. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Except any San Jose owner isn't dropping just $10 million, but something in the neighborhood of $40 million additional for a stadium (assuming they can't get a sweetheart deal like Bridgeview).

Not to mention Steinbrenner bought a franchise with a 70-year track record of success. What kind of 70-year track record does soccer have here? Mostly failure.

Steinbrenner dropped $10 million knowing the team and its league would, in all likelihood, be around for decades to come. No potential San Jose owner (nor any incoming owner for that matter) has that kind assurance that s/he's not just pissing $50 million down a rathole.

23. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    dude, they took my team away today..

please stop making sense....

24. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Sorry.

I do hope you shake loose a bazillionaire just eccentric enough to want to spend money bringing the e-Quakes back. :)

25. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    You can read here how the Galaxy were the first MLS team to make a profit in the league.

http://www.worldcup-06.co.uk/World_Cup_News.htm

The other thread was confirmation that they are apparently still the only team to do so. Yet on this thread, people are posting how the Galaxy cost AEG so much money, completely blowing by this info. It's a crucial point. AEG has no problem investing when they can make money.

I mentioned the point because the cost of the Galaxy was mentioned here, without this very relevant info.

"It's not a charity." Garber once said. He's right.