Garber's reply to my email

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by yalpstel, Dec 15, 2005.

1. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For goodness sakes, Don Garber is a guy who couldn't even remember Johnny Moore's name as the MLS Cup in 2003 was award to his team.

Like I said, Garber has some bridges to repair.

Look, I appreciate the comments. That's why I posted this here. MLS is not my only gripe. I've sent emails - too many to count - to anyone and everyone over the past year+. All of them have been level headed. The responses have been mostly impersonal automatic response replies.

I find it obscene that the email I get a fast and personal response to is the emotionally charged one.

2. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I feel for all of you fans. I'm not sure how I would deal with all this if it were my team.

I'm hopeful that somehow this will work out for the best and that MLS will be able to genuinely target a real local investor in SJ/SF/Oak without all the baggage associated with AEG's history and agenda.

I don't think being owned by AEG will prove to have been an advantage to NY, Chi, LA when 2015 rolls around.

Maybe by 2007 you will have a local owner self financing your new stadium.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Did you even expect a response?

And the fact is that it was a personal response. That in and of itself speaks volumes...

4. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Would you prefer to get the automated reply, ending with the line "Thank you for your continuous support of MLS. We are counting on you for 2006"?, instead?

5. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    yalpstel,

I can feel where you are coming from. This is the worst freaking thing that can happen to the team you have followed and given your all for. I really don't know what to say. I hope you don't give up faith that Footbal thrives in the States and you will have a team soon enough.

I know that's weak, but it's the best I got.

Sorry for your loss.

Dave Brother

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I see a good response, the bold part is being taken the wrong way due to emotion. Frankly, the fact he responded to you deserves kudos in my opinion. Do you think you could get an email back from Bud Selig, David Stern, or Paul Tagliabue? And if so, this quickly?

7. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can definitely understand that. I'm simply saying that its like going for the 8 of clubs when the Ace of spades is still out there. When the Oilers left, I was pissed at Bud Adams, not Paul Tagliabue.

At the end of the day though, nothing is really going to provide solace for a true fan such as yourself. Again, it sucks and I'm sorry. Hope you find yourself in a beautiful SSS in San Jose, cheering on the Earthquakes, sooner rather than later.

8. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN

Thanks a lot and I really hope that you enjoy the Championship caliber team that was built in SAN JOSE ! ! ! ! ! :mad:

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    AEG LOST money keeping the team in LA. They didn't even have to step in take over the team, knowing they would lose money. They did so for the betterment of MLS. SJ would have been gone sooner had AEG not stepped in.

10. Quakes11

Quakes11 New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    Lets not all act like a bunch of liberals here. Businuess is business, if the league invests 50 million into a team and it's still losing money, then the result is inevitable. But its aways "you dont know the passion I left out on the stands" and "don't you care about the fans?". Find me a person who wants to run a grossly unprofitable franchise and then complain about the leadership of MLS.

11. aael

aael New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Chico
    eddie debartolo...1980's 49ers
    jerry jones 1990's dallas cowboys
    any number of sports franchises actually. the yankees lost 50 million last year alone sports franchises have generally always been seen as a playtoy by rich not a business thats a new development in recent times.

12. Oh_Teddy_Teddy

Apr 7, 2003
    Mountain View, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand everyone's angst, but I actually thought it was a good letter. If I were to place blame in this scenario, I would probably say

1) AEG
    2) circumstance
    3) Spartan Shops
    4) San Jose civic leaders
    5) MLS

I could probably flipflop 1 & 2, or 3 & 4, but I think MLS has its hands tied by the owners (heck, MLS IS the owners)!

By circumstance, I mean lack of available land, no owner stepping forward, etc.

13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

very interesting (and I suppose commendable) that you got a reply back. It's easy to see how you'd think he was saying "fine then we don't need you"....the whole situation is disgusting and it's a miserable shame that AEG & MLS couldn't find a way to keep the Quakes in San Jose, where they belong.

14. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Just curious, how did you guys get Garber's email address?

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    let's not forget the Mercury News! They've been AWOL the whole way. But watch, they'll be crawling out of the woodwork in the next couple of days with their lameass opinions (excluding Ann & Dylan who I hold in high regard)

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree (about the letter) though I'm not sure about the order of blame. If MLS wants to be a viable league longterm, seems to me that it needs a coherent strategy--that does not include being jerked around by individual owners.

Whatever Garber's personal feelings about this, he's beholden to AEG. That's what the email says to me.

Also, I agree with aael about sports teams traditionally being a rich person's toy. (I remember a very funny presentation by the As' marketing director on this topic.) I am not sure that has changed, but now it's acceptable to use business reasons as an excuse to do whatever, whereas in the olden days it was unthinkable.

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh.... It's posted on MLSnet.

18. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is.

Years ago, they had email contacts by name, now it's just a feedback address.

19. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just disgusting listening to all of the Bay Area reporters ask questions during that news conference.

I'm sure that was a first for them...actually making contact with MLS.

20. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Look, first of all, I can understand why you are upset, I would be also. But emotion and good business decisions are totally different.

It sounds bad to say, but the fact of the matter is Garber has bigger fish to fry. THe man is responsible for attracting new investors and making $$ for the league, and increasing the status of the league.

I dont think he did anything wrong, and he could have easily deleted your e:mail, but instead responded to it.

21. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, what bothers me about all of this "we lost so much money in San Jose" is that it's just another BS excuse.

I hate to say this...but show me a team in MLS that ISN'T losing money. All of you who think there is a single team in MLS that is making money has been snowed by MLS, AEG, and everybody else. I know for a fact that nobody in MLS is making money...not even the Galaxy with their own stadium. Argue all you want, but facts are facts. The Quakes were NOT the team losing the most money in AEG's MLS portfolio.

So, don't believe everything you read in the paper. Based on my experience :D...you can't believe everything that is printed.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is also more sensitive today to such messages, and has time dedicated to replying to such.

You're in a terrible situation. All Quakes fans are. I see the bolded section of the original reply as recognition that you might not come back - but thanks for your ten year long support of the Quakes and the league. From a dispassionate viewpoint, there probably isn't an easier way to express that sentiment.

I am encouraged that MLS agreed to leave the name, records, colors, etc. in San Jose rather than transfer them to Houston. I think that a stadium deal will attract the owner you need; my hope is that SSV keeps up its outstanding work, and figures out a way forward.

I hope to see the team back - and I hope the fans come back when the team does.

23. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz off, you troll.

24. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and wasn't the Adidas money set to pull most teams out of loser status?

Fish!! I'm going to need a steaming hot shower to wipe the filth of that name off of my fingers for having to type it.... UGH!

25. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will continue our work, and will do so for as long as it takes.