Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Bill Archer, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

Garbers' Big Austin Push: Lies, Racism and Desperation

By Bill Archer on Jan 11, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    Down in Austin Texas there's a guy named Richard Soldana who owns and runs a PR firm which specializes in marketing to the Mexican American and minority communities.

So naturally when the "lie firm" of Garber, Precourt & Greeley went looking for someone willing to pimp out Austins' Hispanic community for cold hard cash, Soldana was their man.

This is at least partly because, as we all know, Don Garber has a long-cherished fantasy that fielding a random group of men running around in short pants will cause Mexican-American soccer fans to swoon with joy, and 20 years of evidence to the contrary - including one folded team - has not served to dampen his faith one bit.

So when you're looking to gin up some support with the locals in Central Texas, what could be more natural than waving the "worlds' game" flag around a bit? Ole, ya'll.

(Soldanas' firm is of course in addition to MLS' other - apparently "non-Mexican" - PR firm, plus the five member lobbying team, plus the big name real estate development lawyer and some clown named Kit McConnagle who seems to be a local sports icon but mostly seems desperate for actual paying work. More on all that in a bit.)

From the very beginning of the MLS/PSV full-court-press charm offensive aimed at prying loose 20 or so acres of prime downtown Austin City Park land (at no charge, of course) for Frat Tonys' playhouse, one constant theme repeated over and over by their unbelievably creepy man-on-the-ground Dave Greeley has been to the effect that PSV loves them some Hispanics. Every time Greeley speaks he makes a special point of telling everyone that the team is particularly interested in "Hispanic outreach" and that the "Hispanic community" is a critical component in all their planning.

So as Soldana (yes I know there's supposed to be a damned tilde over the "n", I just don't know how to make one), in return for a nice fat check, is squiring Greeley around Austin (and I do hope he remembers to have the car interior fumigated afterwards), to break bread with all the Mexican-American movers-and-shakers down in ATX, you can be certain that "we love and respect you brown folks" is high up on his list of bullet points.

As when he meets up with the Texas Association of Mexican American Chambers of Commerce (that's Soldana on the left)

[​IMG]

and the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GAHCC) Board of Directors

[​IMG]

and the United States Hispanic Contractors Association (USHCA) Board of Directors

[​IMG]

In between buying them food and booze and handing out free scarves - and I will bet anyone anything they'd like that PSV/MLS has already spent more on genuine Adidas/MLS licensed free scarves than they spent in all of 2017 marketing the Columbus Crew) you can be sure that Dave, Tony and Don's respect and unbounded love for the Hispanic community is topic #1.

And it's a cynical, racist, baldfaced lie.

When FratTony bought the Columbus Crew from Clark Hunt in 2013, the team had in place an extensive and highly effective Hispanic outreach program.

Under then-President Mark McCullers and Hunt Sports, who both took the whole thing very seriously in terms of resources and emphasis, the Crew worked tirelessly at making the Hispanic community feel welcome in Crew Stadium.

In addition to the more-or-less standard "Hispanic Heritage Night" games, they hired a full-time Hispanic Outreach coordinator, as well as someone who generated Spanish language content on the teams' official website. All in-stadium PA announcements were made in both English and Spanish. There was a loud and very active supporters group "La Turbina Amarilla" whose drums and horns, located smack in the middle of the Nordecke, gave the whole stadium a heartbeat. (I'm particularly partial because my kid used to wander over into La Turbinas' section and they'd let him pound a drum sometimes. What a treat.)

Less than two years after PSV, under President Dave Greely, took over team operations, it was all gone.

No more Hispanic Recognition night. No more Spanish language game reports. Spanish ceased to be heard over the stadium PA system. Spanish language advertising was terminated. The Crew Hispanic Coordinator position was vacated.

The final insult for the Hispanic fan community was when, in the 2015 playoffs, the team refused to sell La Turbina their traditional seats in the Nordecke. They were simply told no, without explanation. They were, however, offered alternate seats in opposite end of the stadium. Where visiting fans are seated.

They rightly told Crew management to go ******** themselves. They had worked hard, earned respect and they weren't about to accept insults in return. A decade's work gone in a flash, at the direction of Dave Greeley.

Someone asked team President Andy Loughnane, who gives new meaning to the term crapweasel, why the Crew stopped literally all marketing aimed directly at the Hispanic community. He replied that now Crew marketing (until, that is, they stopped all local advertising a year ago) is aimed at "everybody".

Which, as I understand it, is not exactly how marketing to minorities works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Many, many people - the Crew's previously intensely loyal Hispanic fan base among them - feel that this is an example of racism, straight up, hold the ice and the slice of lime.

I'm no expert on that kind of thing and I try very hard not to go there unless we're talking about Grant Wahl making jokes about black people eating fried chicken. That one seems like a no-brainer.

Likewise, I have no reason to believe that Mr. Soldana is working with Greeley in anything other than good faith, unaware of the kind of folks he has cast his lot with.

To me, this is simply a case of the "business metrics" that Don Garber prattles on about like a six year old on Ritalin: his cynical sockpuppets at PSV - Precourt and Greeley - identified a vulnerable fan group that they could easily alienate, offend and chase off as part of the overall scheme to drive down attendance without causing too much commotion. It could have been Armenians or Fiji Islanders. All that mattered was that they could be isolated without repercussions, because those could only come from MLS and Garber has their back.

Whether that's racist or simply morally reprehensible I'll leave to you. I can only add that the smiling folks in those pictures are fortunate that they live in Austin, where Dave Greeley makes their restaurant table groan with free food, drinks and swag.

If they lived in Columbus, Ohio, that guy they're happily posing with would be refusing to sell them seats because of the color of their skin.

To have Precourt lackey Dave "Wormtongue" Greeley running around Austin passing out free scarves and buying drinks for local Hispanic business leaders while telling them all about how his bosses love, honor and respect Hispanic fans is nothing short of utterly, stunningly, unbelievably offensive to almost anyone with any kind of moral compass.

Which leaves Don Garber in the clear.

zanycrew, Pauncho, TrueCrew and 29 others repped this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Bill Archer, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
      United States
      May 18, 2017

Generally agree. I struggle to make my points clearly on the Crew situation and therefore it's often misinterpreted as if I'm indifferent to the possible relo. My main point has been that ownership is everything and Columbus needs and new and better owner in order to save the team and thrive long-term. Nothing else will really solve the problem. Legal threats and public shaming won't do it. Only a new owner can really save the team and chart a better future. So, any #savethecrew efforts should be focused on recruiting local investors who can make a compelling offer, and it's important to remain patient as Precourt's willingness to sell may change over time as plans slowly unravel in Austin.

There are numerous examples in numerous sports where small market teams thrive and big market teams struggle and that certainly includes MLS. So, the market matters, but the owner matters more. I've even seen a huge difference with the very same team in the very same market as both the Braves and Falcons were far more successful and popular under Ted Turner and Arthur Blank than they were under other owners.

Therefore, I don't see Precourt being any more successful in Austin than he was in Columbus. He may end up doing slightly better financially simply because he'll have a better stadium deal, but that's it. Like you said, whether they are in Austin or Columbus, the Crew will never be a MLS 3.0 type franchise that is among the leaders in payroll or breaking attendance records. But they don't have to be. They just need a clear identity and strategy like Portland, Kansas City, Dallas, or even Salt Lake. And you tend to get that from a committed local owner.

2. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
      C-bus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Admittedly, at the time, he seemed to do a lot of things right. New logo is halfway decent and went over well. He did small improvements to the stadium. As Kgilbert mentioned, he hired a coach and has brought in players that have been competitive on a budget.
      But other things have come to light in the time being, granted most are rumors, but seem legit; significantly raised prices to companies who were previous advertisers (pricing them out), reducing season ticket holder benefits, and reducing game promotions.

It really does feel/seem like it was all a shell game so he could say "See, I tried, but Columbus just isn't a good market"

Rumor was Barbasol approached the Crew, not vice versa. But I don't know if that was PSV or not.

3. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

It doesn't have to have been a shell game though; he gets to take that coach and all those expensive players with him to Austin. He didn't go the usual route and hire an expensive marketing firm to design the logo, probably because he didn't want to invest in one that'd only be used for a few years. He just got lucky and it was good. Made up for it though by letting his 3 year old design the "Columbus Kit".

I think Columbus was his training ground in running a franchise and now he's ready for the grand opening in his city of choice.

4. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
      Bakersfield, CA
      Club:
      Real Salt Lake
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

He's learned a few ways to do things wrong, at least.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
      United States
      Dec 28, 2006
      Cowlumbus, OH
      Club:
      Borussia Mönchengladbach
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

barroldinho and The Franchise repped this.
    6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
      San Francisco
      Club:
      Liverpool FC

Know any airlines that fly to Europe or South America......??

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
      San Francisco
      Club:
      Liverpool FC

What I'd like to know is, in a country so big, why not just expand the damn league by two new teams? Miami and Austin? ffs....

what's the bulwark?

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
      Akron, OH

You're new here, aren't you?

barroldinho repped this.
    9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
      San Francisco
      Club:
      Liverpool FC

njope - bout three years - but don;t pay much attention to stuff that's not on the Liverpool board...

nonetheless... still don't know why this isn't the case?

"What I'd like to know is, in a country so big, why not just expand the damn league by two new teams? Miami and Austin? ffs....
      what's the bulwark?"

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
      Akron, OH

You should probably read up before blasting strange "well, why don't they do THIS?" questions on dead threads.

11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

I'll try: To be cynical, if they expand a couple of teams at the time and mumble things like "We're thinking we'll maybe stop at 28 or somesuch...", it creates more of an urgency and leverages a higher expansion fee than saying "Don't worry folks! There's no cap on this thing, we'll probably get to you eventually!".

In the cases of Miami and Austin however, that's not really what's going on and they've both been prominent in the domestic soccer news for a while (which is probably why @Timon19 is taking a less patient approach than I).

Miami is a special case because it's Beckham's expansion team. Part of his LA Galaxy deal gave him the right to an expansion team for a discounted expansion fee, excluding one in New York. He announced his intent to action that clause a number of years ago and Miami was his chosen market. It's just taken this long to find an actual location to put this thing.

Austin is not the subject of an expansion bid. The guy who owns the Columbus Crew has just decided that wants to move the club there. Apparently he's not happy with the business they're doing in Columbus (though he seems to be sandbagging marketing efforts) and thinks Austin would be a great place for a team (despite their most recent minor league effort getting relocated for similar reasons to those he's giving for moving the Crew).

Does that help?

Timon19 repped this.
    12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
      Feb 28, 2004
      san jose
      Club:
      San Jose Earthquakes

Ethnic heritage nights at MLS games are not akin to affirmative action in higher education or employment. Attending an MLS match is not a zero-sum game in which one person's job offer is another's rejection. Everyone who wants to plunk down the price of a ticket can get into the stadium, regardless of their ethnicity, even on the annual Portuguese Heritage Night. There is no discrimination involved and none is intended.

cwilke1 repped this.